Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nostalgia Thread - Best (And Worst) Endings

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:
5. Dreamfall (TLJ 2) - another controversial one - liked it for similar reasons to HL2. Only reason why I rate it lower than TLJ (and I'm familiar with the standard criticisms, not going to both arguing it - I can understand why most people disagree with me) is because we're not likely to get a conclusion any time soon.

Huzzah! Someone else who doesn't hate Tornquist's guts for that ending. Yeah, it's a cliffhanger, no doubt about that, but I loved it so very much.

gamefan

Scholar
Deus ex and i like stalker's endings for some reason.

+ Starcraft and I liked mass effects ending where you kill the council even if the game was flawed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I hate Tornquist's guts because he said - sorry kids, episodic content from now on

stalker's endings are badass if you watch them separately from the game - as together with what you do in the game they don't make any sense at all

In no particular order:

Bloodlines - i had a female Malkavian and took the outsider ending where the building blows iirc and she stalked out in her hard leather and goggles, flipping everyone off. then jack just laughs with the mummy from the sarcophagus watching the building burn, and then the heavy metal swamped kicked in and it just felt right.

Fallout 1 - as previously stated, saving the vault, then getting kicked out and wandering out into the desert, but only because of the cinematic - the slides, while interesting, felt empty.

Freespace 2 - iirc it was your memorial service since you died trying to save everyone escaping from the system... and there might have been another monologue from the renegade admiral bosh (or whatever his name was). That was a great performance, his cut scenes.

also, ninja gaiden black's ending was the lulziest and wtfiest ive ever seen - he disses rachel and turns her down and then turns into a bird and flies off into the moon... ???

And yeah, stalkers endings barely made sense in the reference of the game, but were fun to watch. i think almost everyone that missed the secret back lab or w/e and met the thinker for the first time got the greedy ending, because it was so easy to get a butt ton of money with nothing to spend it on.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey Binary, post more bad endings. I like your posts and nothing stops you from keeping going.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
luckyb0y said:
ghostdog said:
And does anybody know of OnEscapee? It was a flashback-style game, it was fucking great and it had a memorable ending. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_e-44NR-cc

Wow animation looks like a total Flashback ripoff. Might be a nice game but has nothing on Flahback art direction. This game was awesome in the european comic book way. The earth levels look amazing. One of my favourite action games.

Yep the gameplay and style is a total ripoff, but the game is good. It's actually more of an adventure than an action arcade and it has some really good riddles along the way. The pc version has been released for free : http://onescapee.invictus.hu/

Meh, the Monkey Island 2 ending sucked, it was the wrong kind of WTF ending. it absolutely had no connection with the rest of the series or the story and it was plain silly. On the other hand the ending of the firrst monkey island was just awesome : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edTPH1ZYEJ4 Damn! now I want to play that game again...

Texas Red

Whiner
The Witcher has a very good ending.

SPOILARZ

Geralt may have acted in his regular brutish way and doomed the humanity. From what evidence is presented to us, Alvin is truly gifted and perhaps is the chosan oan. Yet of cource Alvin meant for horrible atrocities to happen and a witcher could simply not stand to watch how monstrosity is integrated in to humanity. Basically, there is no clear good or bad guy in the ending and you can speculate who did the right thing.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Solitaire - All the cards start jumping around and stuff... it made me rethink my life.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Occasionally Fatal said:
also, ninja gaiden black's ending was the lulziest and wtfiest ive ever seen - he disses rachel and turns her down and then turns into a bird and flies off into the moon... ???
He's a ninja. He can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also getting tied on a refrigerator and thrown into the ocean is always a great ending."

Ripoff.

TOB, FO, FO2, HOTU, ME, and FFX had some of the better endings.

Worst endings include PST, SOU, FF8, and some other FFs had the worst.

Best beginning to a game EVAR is FF8.

Worst beginning to a game EVAR is FO2.

Lumpy

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Also getting tied on a refrigerator and thrown into the ocean is always a great ending."

Ripoff.

TOB, FO, FO2, HOTU, ME, and FFX had some of the better endings.

Worst endings include PST, SOU, FF8, and some other FFs had the worst.

Best beginning to a game EVAR is FF8.

Worst beginning to a game EVAR is FO2.
Lolwut? You know what I'm referring to, specifically. Do explain.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Who the fuck are you, and why should I care that you disliked TOB? Oh yeah, I shouldn't. And, i don't. You are irrelevant.

"You know what I'm referring to, specifically."

Do I? I don't. Please explain.

gamefan

Scholar
Occasionally Fatal said:
And yeah, stalkers endings barely made sense in the reference of the game, but were fun to watch. i think almost everyone that missed the secret back lab or w/e and met the thinker for the first time got the greedy ending, because it was so easy to get a butt ton of money with nothing to spend it on.
To spend alot of money just buy nato ammo from freedom like crazy then go on a mutant killing frenzy, I remember killing like 100 blood suckers and like 20 controllers just by re entering army warehouses and purging the area of mutants each time.

I wont even start to count all the boars and fleshes i killed during the process.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
hahaha TOB? the most obvious good-character-turns-bad in history? or maybe the second most obvious, there is also jade empire. And one of the most tedious and boring ending battles, compared only to NWN2OC.

And FFX ? I'll give it to you that the twist about what Tidus really is was not bad but thats well before the ending. The ending like every other fmv of ffx is a ridiculous mixture of horrible translation, pathetic voice acting and idiotic direction. Of course that is the result of the unbelievably bad english localization , but it's enough to ruin the game, especially since it's a game with cutscenes that last over 8 hours (!)

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Hey Binary, post more bad endings. I like your posts and nothing stops you from keeping going.

Amazing, someone likes my posts! Hmmm...

The problem is the big amount of foozle-fighting endings and text-based reward sequences from the classic games, and I find those are so common that they're not worth mentioning. I'll just mention some games that spring to mind, for positive, negative, and even mixed situations.

Dreamweb and Beneath a Steel Sky: unusual endings on both, and not-really-what-you-were-expecting. Good quality but potentially unpleasant

Someone mentioned A Mind Forever Voyaging, and from the Infocom people I have to mention Loom my favorite adventure ever with a very touching ending.

Interplay's version of "Lord of The Rings", although a highly original RPG, has a disappointing ending in a final showdown vs the Witch King of Angmar - something that's not in the books.

In the ending of one of the goldbox games (SoSB?), the gods make the party forget what happened at the end. Duh.

In Demon's Winter, the party can choose to become immortal at the end, or otherwise live the rest of their lives "happily ever after".

Talon Tremor

Novice
Forget endings, getting a guy with a degree in computer science to fix up that Autoexec.bat/Config.sys/EMM/EMS and all the rest so I could even run Ultima VII was an achievement. :?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
ghostdog said:
hahaha TOB? the most obvious good-character-turns-bad in history? or maybe the second most obvious, there is also jade empire.

Are you fucking psychic? How that plot twist in Jade Empire was "obvious" is beyond me. There's some hints strewn about in the game, but what happens is pretty much a complete surprise and if you think otherwise you should join some ESP squard with your supernatural mind-reading abilities. That twist really makes me like JE, much, much better than KOTOR's twist.

Topic: Man, Binary, I love you. Dreamweb's ending is... powerful. It's unpleasant, yes... but there's really no other way for the game to end. It's an incredible game, really.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Jasede said:
Are you fucking psychic?
maybe I am , or maybe I've seen movies that JE drew ideas from. Anyway, halfway through the game I was expecting this plot twist.
The glorious strategist that can anticipate 100 moves ahead of his enemies, wouldn't be so easily captured and such a man would surely be a manipulative fucker. And I think this kind of character has been seen many times in eastern literature/legends

spiwak

Novice
Since some others have mentioned non-RPGs and I would only contribute the same fucking games everyone else already beat to death, here's some other stuff:

Grim Fandango - The game was just fucking satisfying, partly because of how deliciously hard it was. The final scenes at the garden house were so riddled with atmosphere. And then the usual romance, but the twist being that it ends happily (considering the game's noir's roots) = I love it.

Psychonauts - speaking of Tim Schafer, I thought this ending was a great tribute action movie endings (which is fitting because it was his first "action" game).

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus - both ridiculously ambiguous and yet strangely satisfying. ICO had that awesome scene at the very end where you run down the beach for several minutes and find the girl in the boat, after thinking that all you did was for shit. Shadow of the Colossus has the player turn into a giant beast and destroyed.

Monkey Island 2 - exposed the influences that were behind the game all along (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean) in a grand WTF.

Phoenix Wright 3 - epic final case

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom