Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nostalgia Thread - Best (And Worst) Endings

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Bloodnet ending was quite nice. I was young that time and that game really challenged me to be resourceful unlike most RPG that just grind till you're high level, Ransom Stark didn't have the time to mess around before the Vampirism over take him.

Ofcourse the epilogue was dangling sequels of a rogue super programme AI running loose called Incubus. ...Too bad no sequel. Gameplay was unique. lolz

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So, when is MGS the Movie coming? I definitely would watch it. The game...nahhhh I don't wanna bother. The PC port of the original is terrible, doubt they want to make sequels.

SkeleTony

Augur
Best endings in CRPGS:

1)Fallout is pretty hard to beat. That whole retro-cinemtaic meets the Road warrior thing was grand.

2)Natuk - Seriously, how many party-vbased CRPG games have you picking ONE PC to(hopefully) become the new emperor if he can manage to defeat the otehr 7 members of your greedy band of orcs, ogres and half-trolls?

3)Jagged Alliance 2/Freedom Force

Worst endings in CRPGs:

No idea. It is hard enough for me to get around to finishing the games I enjoy(let alone games I think suck) and I am usually so happy(or relieved) to finish a long game that I don't have it in me to go negative on it's ass.

Badgermaster

Educated
spiwak said:
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus - both ridiculously ambiguous and yet strangely satisfying. ICO had that awesome scene at the very end where you run down the beach for several minutes and find the girl in the boat, after thinking that all you did was for shit. Shadow of the Colossus has the player turn into a giant beast and destroyed.

And then reborn as a baby with horns...thus tying it into ICO, though precisely how is left open to interpretation.

Looking forward to the next game set in that world.

spiwak

Novice
True, although that part wasn't as interesting to me as Wander becoming the demon after the last colossus, the demon using him the whole time. And the ambiguity of the demon or god or whatever - whether he is evil or supressed for different reasons. Ah well, in any case, I love Ueda's games. Both are examples of great storytelling with almost no dialogue.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
SMT Nocturne's 'Evil' ending was great for being a no holds barred 'I win' scenario.

As for bad endings... Blue's ending in Saga Frontier is kind of like getting kicked in the face. Until you figure out why it ended like that. Then it's more like being kicked in the balls.

Caveman

Scholar
Annonchinil said:
Yes that must explain all the fans and all the awards

Oblivion has more of them so must be best rpg ever.
Only retards from RPGcodex dont agree with that opinion of masses.

I'm very sorry for you if you find this 6 min(MGS3 ending) of retarded neverending patos interesting.

Kojima suffers from Bleak House syndrome. Where he could be a pretty good writer/design, he basically is rewarded for making the most convoluted, pretentious, out-there stuff imaginable and continues to do so. Generally most gamers don't have a hell of a lot of taste in things. Hell, some of the same people who think Kojima is brilliant either

-think "One Winged Angel" is the greatest piece of music in existence
-think Tolkien and Salvatore are brilliant authors
-think Donnie Darko is the greatest film created
-frequent abovetopsecret

I don't want to sound like Cleve, Lyric Suite, or that type...but seriously....a lot of people have bad taste and don't know it.

And there are plenty of smaller complaints to levy against Metal Gear Solid. For one, it chose poorly in keeping the goofy classic video game style names. Stuff like Big Boss, Sniper Wolf, Decoy Octopus, Vulcan Raven, and Psycho Mantis might have flown in the 80s when video games didn't give two shits about being taken seriously, but when a game that takes itself deadly serious throws that type of stuff in the mix it doesn't fit. Same with all of Kojima's goofiness like his fetish for seeing scientists wet themselves, as well as ridiculous crap like Liquid Ocelot, beekeeper from hell, Colonel Pikachu, and the like.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Talon Tremor said:
Forget endings, getting a guy with a degree in computer science to fix up that Autoexec.bat/Config.sys/EMM/EMS and all the rest so I could even run Ultima VII was an achievement. :?
I never managed to do it back then... I preserved the disks and played the game for the first time using Exult :D

Longshanks

Augur
The bittersweet ending of The Last Express - you win the game, but World War 1 breaks out anyway. You don't get the girl, but you do get her dog.

Lumpy

Arcane
Volourn said:
"You know what I'm referring to, specifically."

Do I? I don't. Please explain.
I meant PS:T listed as one of the worst endings. What's the deal with that?

The Last Express's ending was great, but I didn't like how getting blown up or not depended on an action completely unrelated to the source of the explosion. I don't think making the climax depend on a coincidence is such a good idea.

Korgan

Arbiter
I agree with whoever says JE's plot twist was easy to guess. Same with ME. You only have to think of what would Biowhore's writers would consider "OMG SURPRIZE". Also, the Subtle Hints in both games are fucking obvious, and come fairly early if you keep your eyes open.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Bloodlines gave me the biggest WTF in game endings. I was like:"I'm a hero, I will deal with whatever evil inside and save the world!" and prompted to open the sarcophagus. 2 seconds later, my mind was frozen, like suddenly realize I'm 2 hours late for a major exam that I cannot fail. That was the biggest regret and lesson I've ever had in RPG experience (as I was treating that gaming session very seriously).

PS:T ending almost made me cry, the feeling that destiny (or is it fate?) brought by oneself can't be denied no matter how late it is delayed really made me sad. At least the Nameless One should be powerful enough to survive well in the Blood Wars....

BG2 TOB ending gave me a smile too, as is KOTOR1's. These happy endings while are not special, they are at least satisfying and leave less loose ends.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can understand ghostdog's reasoning for saying it was easy to guess - I never met that archetype character before in movies or books.

Korgan makes a good point, but what kind of fun is playing a game when you go, from the beginning: bah, Bioware game... knowing them they likely would do this! ... HA I knew it. Sucks.

Also someone spoiler me... what -was- in the sarcophagus? I never completed Bloodlines because of the ending battle-storm.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Jasede said:
Also someone spoiler me... what -was- in the sarcophagus? I never completed Bloodlines because of the ending battle-storm.

A corpse, to begin with. When LaCroix/the player (you get the choice to open it yourself or to leave) open it, they find a huge amount of explosives, with a few seconds until they go off, coupled with a note saying "Love, Jack".

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Isn't the corpse some evil vampire dude? How'd Jack be able to get him out?

...unless what the vampires believe is just awful superstition and they're all blinded by their-

Hey, that's pretty sweet.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The bombs were fully unexpected - especially since everyone include the not-superstitious-gangrel-guy (damn I forgot his name, a cool character) suddenly got scared and told me "don't open it", instead made me even more want to see the content.

The corpse inside do show up during the ending scene - sitting along with Jack somewhere outside the city watching the beautiful explosion. It's a long dead mummied body though, not some world destroying vampire dude.

Lurkar

Scholar
MGS may be a horribly pretentious serious, but - and maybe this makes me lose Codex Cool Points - I liked 3. 1 was fairly good too. 2 and 4 are both shit though.

Of course, 2 and 4 are the most CONSPIRACY! laden ones, so that has something to do with it.

Black

Arcane
Arcanum ending, especially when you try to convince the bad guy that he's wrong. That dialogue is epic.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Volourn said:
"You know what I'm referring to, specifically."

Do I? I don't. Please explain.
I meant PS:T listed as one of the worst endings. What's the deal with that?
I can't speak for Volourn, but...

After remembering your own name from the Good Incarnation, you become whole again. All your life's memories are restored. And you can't forget when you die now.

So why couldn't I just enjoy a good immortality, and go back to Sigil? Even if I were an evil character, I must do the altruistic thing by going to the Blood War and meet my just fate. That sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom