Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nostalgia Thread - Best (And Worst) Endings

Texas Red

Whiner
JarlFrank said:
That is... awesome. I need to play Torment a second time, although it will never be as enjoyable as the first. I really want to forget all about this game just to experience it again.

Well, I played Torment like 10 times. You will regardless have fun playing a certain alignment. I loved going chaotic evil without ever killing anyone or being a jerk, just manipulative and lying.

Ammar

Scholar
Gragt said:
The Nameless One's crime is worse than that of the flying ship captain since the Planes have been slowly dying because of it. That's all that we know about it.

Are you certain that's supposed to be the original wrong he commited? I thought this was the more the consequence of the whole splitting himself from his mortaility bit and not what came before.

Lumpy

Arcane
That's not his memory, otherwise he would have a flashback. On the other hand, all the public sensory stones end with something akin to "This sparks a memory of something similar in your own past", so there you go.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well let's see if I recall correctly. The original incarnation comitted the crime in question but again the nature of the crime itself is unknown, only the consequences. It also appears that in that time the contract with the devils was signed and Morte's lies had ill consequences though all this is a bit confused (or it isn't and I need to replay the game).

After this the original incarnation decides to seek Ravel out and asked her to make him immortal so he could avoid his punishment and maybe even try to atone for it. And we know what happened: the ritual was flawed and it was yet another great crime against the Planes.

Also the first incarnation did not meet Ignus, it is much more recent, it seems to happen between the Paranoid Incarnation and the player incarnation so only a few decades.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
AzraelCC said:
Monkey Island 2 had the best funny/disturbing ending combo I've seen.

That reminds of COMI's ending. Fucking horrible. In MI1 you get a hilarious "love scene" or whatever that was, in MI2 you have the creepy (and awesome) "it was all a dream" thing and all you get in COMI is some shitty 5-seconds-long cutscene.

I agree with the notion that Dreamweb's ending ruled. I love games that leave a "oh my fucking god more" taste in the mouth but you know there will never be other games like those. So damn sad.

Lumpy

Arcane
Morte told the protagonist to seek out Ravel all the way back then in order to become immortal, as far as I know.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cthulhugoat said:
AzraelCC said:
Monkey Island 2 had the best funny/disturbing ending combo I've seen.

That reminds of COMI's ending. Fucking horrible. In MI1 you get a hilarious "love scene" or whatever that was, in MI2 you have the creepy (and awesome) "it was all a dream" thing and all you get in COMI is some shitty 5-seconds-long cutscene.

It still wasn't that bad compared to Monkey 4's ending. It just became a horrible clusterfuck in the end, of some crazy voodoo magic, a giant walking monkey robot and the most retarded thing to ever make it into a MI game, the fucking goddamn Monkey Combat. What the hell were they thinking?

Lurkar

Scholar
I'm pretty sure some people have even theorized that MOST of the sensory stones came from different incarnations of The Nameless One.

That said, no details about his crime(s) are given. It's intentional. Just like you, the player, never learns his true name. The game isn't about atoning for the past, it's about putting it behind and walking towards the future.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yup, as I said the question is more important than the answer.

As for Monkey Island 2 ending, it does not seem to be a "it was only a dream" kind of ending and it seems to be more than simply LeChuck putting a spell on Guybrush as Monkey Island 3 claimed (Ron Gilbert did not participate in the other episodes and said that the story he imagined ended with the second episode). Actually the secret of Monkey Island hasn't been found yet, there are different clues in the two games mostly about Guybrush's childhood and his parents but it's a bit hard to piece together. It would also seem that the Star Wars parodies between Guybrush and LeChuck are very important to the whole story but if you ask me we should just send someone to beat the answers out of Ron Gilbert.

Unless Gilbert is doing the same thing that Sam Peckinpah did with Straw Dogs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gilbert is making an RPG-Adventure game, so the Codex could interview him and sneak some questions about Monkey Island in. Would be fucking awesome to interview that guy, I love him for the two Monkey Island games.

Zomg

Arbiter
SkeleTony said:
2)Natuk - Seriously, how many party-vbased CRPG games have you picking ONE PC to(hopefully) become the new emperor if he can manage to defeat the otehr 7 members of your greedy band of orcs, ogres and half-trolls?

I wish that guy would get it hosted on GameTap, because while I like the shareware, I do not like it enough to wait for a burned CD by mail.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Gilbert is making an RPG-Adventure game, so the Codex could interview him and sneak some questions about Monkey Island in. Would be fucking awesome to interview that guy, I love him for the two Monkey Island games.
He said it will mix the humor of MI with gameplay of
Diablo.
So yeah, go ahead and interview him it will be so awesome.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hm nowadays adventure games don't really try so hard to give more value for money. I'm talking about replayability.Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis is one of those adventure games I cherish till now. I still think Lucasarts may have outdone it in humour and art settings in their later offerings, but in terms of replays...nothing can beat that.

It was epic. A globe spanning adventure with a cinematic feel. And at the midpoint they will give you an option: Play a more mini-game oriented style or balanced or full puzzle solving all the way.

Noobfier

Novice
Occasionally Fatal said:
Freespace 2 - iirc it was your memorial service since you died trying to save everyone escaping from the system... and there might have been another monologue from the renegade admiral bosh (or whatever his name was). That was a great performance, his cut scenes.

Absolutely agreed. You can actually survive the final mission of Freespace 2 if you fly fast enough in the end. Nevertheless, it's an epic and tragic ending to one of the greatest space sims ever made.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Morte told the protagonist to seek out Ravel all the way back then in order to become immortal, as far as I know.
How do you know this?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah the Fallout ending was pretty good:
FurryFalloutSick.jpg

okay:
VaultDwellerandDogmeat.jpg

Everyone's mentioned all the games I can think of that had good endings. I tend to dismiss bad endings so I can't think of any.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Wyrmlord said:
JarlFrank said:
Lumpy said:
Alternatively, you can resurrect them yourself before the fight.

But not all of them.
Not true at all.

In the room with the Ignus fight, there is an object lying around on the floor. I only noticed it in my third playthrough. It's somewhat inconspicuous. I thought it was strange, because I didn't recall dropping an object.

It's a Sounding Stone, and it is a magical recording of the Practical Incarnation's messages. He tells that the clockworks in the Fortress were a means of releasing the Greater Shadows. The Transcendental One has no clue that those shadows are roaming around free, and if you tell him this, he goes away to check. This gives you ample time to ressurect all your companions.

Man, it's crazy when I discover things like this. It just goes to show that there still might be things that I have not seen in Torment.
Wow, now I need to play the game through again.

Black

Arcane
I'm fucking ashamed that you guys didn't know about it.
RPG Codex, FFS
/spits

JoKa

Cipher
Lumpy said:

Wasn't it the practical incarnation who ripped Morte out of the pillar?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Morte went to the pillar in the first place because he caused one of the Nameless One's incarnation's death. I personally don't know which one or how, but Lumpy said that Morte was the one who sent him to Ravel to get his immortality. I wonder where there this was mentioned.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't know where I read that, but the basic idea was that Morte lied to TNO that Ravel could make him immortal, and the planes registered that as a death-causing lie, so Morte got sent to the pillar.
Again, I'm not sure whether that was fact or just speculation. Not that it matters anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom