Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Not Many FPS's Fulfill the Power Fantasy

Cross

Arcane
I just like shooting stuff.

Also FEAR is special to me because it nails the feeling of Hard Boiled and some other John Woo movies in first person. You play FEAR for the beauty of action itself.
John Woo action isn't just about the shooting. There's a lot of physicality. You can't do it in first-person view.
Technically, you can play through F.E.A.R. without ever shooting anything.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Before anyone bitches about Rogue City being too easy, never forget how many turds got filtered by that first ed-209 encounter LOL.
I think "Before anyone bitches about Rogue City being too easy" should be followed by, "you're mother fuckin' Robocop!" One of the stupidest things about the original RoboCop first person shooters back in the late 90s or early 2000s was that RoboCop was just a regular bitch in terms of taking damage or getting blown up - including fall damage, even though him and Cain fell off the OCP building and smashed right through the street below in Robocop 2 which came out long before the original games. Street level criminals shouldn't be able to phase Robocop under normal circumstances.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I only said that because some people were bitching about games being too easy in a power fantasy thread. I think there can be a balance between feeling powerful and still having the game be challenging. You don't need that in a RoboCop game. It's SUPPOSED to be easy. That's the whole point.

Sjukob

Arcane
I remember liking it but right now i can't remember if the combat and slow mo shit was actually good. Was it?
I've replayed the dilogy a good number of times in the recent years and Max Payne 1 plays exactly like this. Max is invincible to bullets during rolls, once you figure this out there's no reason not to spam them. Weirdly enough, the same doesn't hold true for shoot dodging, which unlike dodge rolling also costs bullet time to execute and has significant amount of recovery in the end, leaving Max vulnerable to fire. For these reasons, shoot dodging is almost entirely useless, actually.

Max Payne 2 is different, because in MP1 enemies have a "lag time" after you roll, meaning that it takes like 2-3 seconds for them to adjust their aim to your new position, it's why roll -> shoot, combined with roll invincibility, works so well in MP1. In MP2 there's no such lag and enemies adjust their aim almost instantly then, guns are much more accurate, there's far less spread than in MP1 and bullets also travel much faster, all of this makes it trivial to just headshot enemies even from far away distances, while in MP1 the only reliable way to do it is to use sniper rifle. Additionally, Max is much tougher in MP2, in MP1, even on the first difficulty once it reaches max scaling, a single bullet from an assault rifle would take something like 45% off your health bar, this is not the case in MP2, even on the highest difficulty setting. So in the end, you just pop up bullet time and headshot everyone, doesn't matter if you get hit a couple of times in the process, because you have much more health to play with, just strafe in random directions, that way you should avoid most of the shots. Oh and I almost forgot about the instant reload and the bullet time bar replenishing itself over time.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Nightmare Reaper also fits this bill, plenty of "ha...haha...HAHAHAHAHAHAA" moments with how ridiculous the weapons can get.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Not an FPS, but try Gungrave G.O.R.E.

If you want to play as a walking tank that only needs to dodge super-powerful boss attacks, this game is for you, especially since healing is also done via special attacks that deal massive damage. It's a dumb game, but it works when you want to kill a few hundred mooks in ~10 minutes.

430am

Educated
For me, a "power fantasy" is prevailing and making it against overwhelming odds, and then getting good at it. If I didn't earn it, and if the challenge was piss easy where everything just exists to die to you, I don't feel empowered. Good recent examples of recent played FPS where I've had fun kicking ass and getting fucked up at the same time: Hideous Destructor (more fun with friends!), Trepang2, Fallout DUST, Quake on nightmare or evil (Mjollnir, ReMobilize, Arcane Dimensions).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom