Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Now that Drakensang is out...

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
...I'd like to see some comments or reviews from the members of The Codex.

obediah

Erudite
I haven't had any luck finding it in or out of inventory anywhere.

It was a whopping $28 w/ free shipping at Amazon, but ships "in 2-5 weeks'. I'll let you know what I think then.

sheek

Arbiter
2-5 weeks normally means "never" in my experience. That's how Amazon functions, making interest off people's money the few weeks before they need to return it.

obediah

Erudite
sheek said:
2-5 weeks normally means "never" in my experience. That's how Amazon functions, making interest off people's money the few weeks before they need to return it.

Uh dumbfuck, Amazon doesn't charge until they ship.

They do completely fuck up small publisher releases on occasion though. I've seen products sit as "Pre-Order" for a month or more after they were released, and I've picked up pre-orders at 35% off and then sat around after release for 2 weeks while the product is for sale at list price with immediate shipping. I wouldn't be surprised that when supplies are low they ship the least discounted orders first.

Winter Ale

Novice
Huh,

Well, Amazon kicked me a mail on Friday saying they'd dropped mine in the mail. My best guess is they made a supply chain boo-boo.

I'm not much of a review writer, but life allowing I'll post a couple comments this week.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pr()ZaC said:
...I'd like to see some comments or reviews from the members of The Codex.
I've been googling for reviews every week or so since the English version came out and have found nothing so far. In fact, VD's thread here comes up in the top 10 results.

Oh yay, I think I may have just found one... News at eleven.

Andhaira

Arcane
My pc has 2Gb ram, 256MB video card and runs on VISTA. (which means half the memory is eaten up by fucking windows)

Can I run this? Let me know guys becuase if I can run the game I am getting this TODAY!

Suchy

Arcane
should run.
i bought it about a month ago, made a character, went to the first town and haven't played it since... how's the english translation? coz polish is kind of awkward, at least the first 2 dialogues i've seen.

getter77

Augur
I believe the game is available for the same price and free shipping off of newegg as well.

I'm thinking of getting it, even though I don't yet have a PC that could run it. Hopefully they get on a DD site of some sort since they seem to be having issues in the B&M retail sector.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wow I just watched a you tube trailer of this (the dragon fight one) and the graphics look better than dragon age! I don't get why ppl are saying graphics are bad, they look amazing.

Sure some of the character models of npc's are a little wonyy, but the backgrounds are fantastic.

Also, looking at those graphics there is no way my machine will play this. :(

CurunĂ­r

Novice
AndhairaX said:
Wow I just watched a you tube trailer of this (the dragon fight one) and the graphics look better than dragon age! I don't get why ppl are saying graphics are bad, they look amazing.

Sure some of the character models of npc's are a little wonyy, but the backgrounds are fantastic.

Also, looking at those graphics there is no way my machine will play this. :(

It ran rather fluently at medium to high settings on my Notebook with 2 GHz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM and a ATI Radeon Mobility X1700, actually better than NWN2. (But I haven't tried the High Res texture pack.)

I actually just recently played through it again on my old notebook with 1,5 GHz Centrino (single core!), 512 MB RAM and a graphics card with 64 MB, because my newer notebook is in repair. (NOTE: Unless you can live with lowest details and ugly graphics, 8-10 minutes loading screens and heavy dia shows and second-long freezes when walking into a direction where the game has to load new parts of the map, don't understand that as a recommendation to buy the game for this hardware. It runs like shit, only auto-pause and my strong will made it playable for me. :lol: )

getter77

Augur
Claw said:
getter77 said:
I'm thinking of getting it, even though I don't yet have a PC that could run it.
How old is your PC?

About 5-6 years old...and wasn't even a good gaming PC back then. Somehow ended up with 2 Gigs of RAM though.

Also, the game is apparently now available on gamersgate, but there's some confusion over the filesize not jiving with people's epectations on the high res texture addon.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
How is this game?

The last Drakensang game I played was this weird little rpg I had on the Amiga that I am not even positive is from the same source material.

Solaris

Scholar
Bought it off GamersGate. Still downloading atm, going real slow even though I've got fast connection.

Drakensang and Dragon Age were the only rpgs I was looking forward to this year (apart from a couple of indie titles). Since EA are playing funny buggers with DA then Drakensang is my last hope for now.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
AndhairaX said:
Do you mean Blade of Destiny? (realms of arkania series)

If you are talking to me, I have no idea.

What I do remember from the original Drakensang game I played on the Amiga was a drawbridge that could crush your characters.

A user named cat

Game is pretty good so far, including the translation. Rather enjoyed the large selection of character classes and attributes you get to choose from. Everything is well explained too.

But yeah, so far so good. Still near beginning so we'll see how it pans out. The writing doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as I remember someone saying, but nothing exceptional either. Gameworld also appears quite NWN 2-ish and the visuals seem bland (again, near beginning still) but it's optimized well.

The camera seems a little odd though, it lags behind your character which takes some getting used to. No idea why it was designed like this as it'd be much nicer if it simply kept your viewpoint towards mid-screen.

Andhaira

Arcane
Sounds sweet!It does suck that despite the large number of clases the game doesn't support freee roaming and exploration instad focuinsing on the lakluster story and dialogue.

Maybe an expansion pack will include huge areas with nothing to do but explore and discover stuff and do mini quests which are not essential.

btw, is dialogue affefted by skillz?

Stauff

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
How is this game?

The last Drakensang game I played was this weird little rpg I had on the Amiga that I am not even positive is from the same source material.

The engine is pretty good and much snappier than NWN2.. Even more it seems to be open source. I suggest someone at Obsidian can give it a look, it can be a great platform for Obsidian games..

mvBarracuda

Augur
No skill-dependent dialogue that I remember.

On the other side: this mechanic was not featured in any of the 3 ROA games either so you can argue that it's simply not meant to be part of the Dark Eye series.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only flaw with that argument would be the social skills, even moreso in Drakensang which has a much smaller skill list.

If it's not meant to be part of the game, why include the skills?

PS: Apparently there are some instances of skill-dependent dialogue, but most skills like Etiquette are woefully underused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom