Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Now that Drakensang is out...

A user named cat

Wait, the social skills don't do anything?

According to their descriptions they sounded rather important for dialogue, I even wasted a few points on a couple of them during character creation.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Absolutely solid RPG so far. Not great, but definitely good. Large variety of quests and complex character generation/development, hampered by somewhat limited quest design. Gonna review it for GB in a week or so I'd guess.

Boy this game is getting f'd over by its int publisher. No PR, no reviews, distribution sucks.

No skill-dependent dialogue that I remember.

Huh? It's there, it's just not incredibly common. Usually it is used to avoid combat in certain situations (bar brawl quest) or alternative to using other skills (thieves quest in the opening area). It's certainly not important, I've only seen 3-4 checks so far.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Phantasmal said:
The camera seems a little odd though, it lags behind your character which takes some getting used to. No idea why it was designed like this as it'd be much nicer if it simply kept your viewpoint towards mid-screen.
Try WASD + right MB to move and control the camera. Point and click is pretty fucked up in the game.
No skill-dependent dialogue that I remember.
There is. Etiquette has one or two checks, charm, convince, intimidate and knowledge of human nature have a few. Just not enough to be worth any heavy investments. If you take any of the more social companions, e.g. Dranor, you should have most covered without any additional investments.

The skills aren't very well balanced over all, but the engine was intended for further games and the budget didn't allow for everything the devs wanted to do. The usual excuses *shrug*

sirfink

Scholar
Stauff said:
Anthony Davis said:
How is this game?

The last Drakensang game I played was this weird little rpg I had on the Amiga that I am not even positive is from the same source material.

The engine is pretty good and much snappier than NWN2.. Even more it seems to be open source. I suggest someone at Obsidian can give it a look, it can be a great platform for Obsidian games..

Somehow they'd find a way to double the system requirements and halve the frames per second. But one of the Fallout 2 guys works there, so they're awesome!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shannow said:
Try WASD + right MB to move and control the camera. Point and click is pretty fucked up in the game.
It is? That's funny, I hadn't noticed. it's certainly not as fucked up as in The Witcher.

Solaris

Scholar
I'm enjoying this game for the most part (played about 10 hrs so far). Only thing is it seems a bit too easy. With 4 in the party we are trashing things without worry (maybe I should fire a couple to make it more interesting?). Hope the difficulty ramps up soon. I've never played TDE before and what I have seen so far, I like. Feels more streamlined and intuitive than the D&D implementation in NWN2. Well, not so bloated anyway. I don't have an issue with the RTwP. I have it set to pause just before a fight. Being round based I like it.

The dialogue and plot is a nice change, no typical cliche "save the world now!" bullshit. The quests are quite varied. Graphics are decent enough and has a nice art direction to it. Although the bloom annoys me a bit (can it be turned off?).

I made a spellweaver, which I suppose is somewhat similair to a Druid. Can heal and has a nature companion you can summon for a couple of minutes at a time but to be frank, only ever used it early on since the combat is so easy right now its sort of overkill.

This basically feels like a 'proper RPG'. Well, what I consider being a proper one anyway. So far I'd rate this up there with MotB and The Witcher in terms of the fun I'm having.

...now, if only the combat could just get more challenging...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Claw said:
Shannow said:
It is? That's funny, I hadn't noticed. it's certainly not as fucked up as in The Witcher.
Well, a different kind of fucked up. I really dislike the lagging camera. I could deal with TW's "I always want to stay behind the shoulder"-camera better. So while I don't see TW's point and click as quite so bad (although not much better either), Drakensang has the better alternative. TW didn't play smoothly with WASD + mouselook for me.

I prefer iso or first person (for blob dungeon crawlers) anyway.

vrok

Liturgist
So... Are there any decent dialogue/quest resolving options at all later in the game? Because no C&C and no or extremely few personality/skillcheck dialogue options coupled with complaints of unchallenging combat sounds like the rest of the game would be just as mindbogglingly boring to me as the first hour or so I've already forced myself to endure.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Funny how opinions differ. Point&click is my main method of movement in Drakensang.
In TW, I found point&click absolutely unuseable.

Solaris said:
Well, where are you story-wise now? Already killed a mother?

Thrasher

Erudite
vrok said:
So... Are there any decent dialogue/quest resolving options at all later in the game? Because no C&C and no or extremely few personality/skillcheck dialogue options coupled with complaints of unchallenging combat sounds like the rest of the game would be just as mindbogglingly boring to me as the first hour or so I've already forced myself to endure.

I second this question. Is this just an easy dungeon crawler or are there alternate roleplaying paths with consequences?

Solaris

Scholar
Claw said:
Solaris said:
Well, where are you story-wise now? Already killed a mother?

From my quest log I think I'm just getting to that bit. Have been doing side quests and some of the main plot in Ferdok. Done the bit where you get the house afterwards, etc

Shannow

Waster of Time
Thrasher said:
vrok said:

I second this question. Is this just an easy dungeon crawler or are there alternate roleplaying paths with consequences?

The filler combat is pathetically easy. There are some challenging fights later on but not many. (I can think of 3-4 but I never finished the game. The dwarves in the dwarven city not recognizing me as a dwarf was just too much. Thus the replay as human.)
There is some mild c&c but its not world/story changing as far as I could tell.

@Solaris: Don't go for the mother yet. It takes ages to get there and your chances of winning the fight with the low level you probably have are minimal.

Solaris

Scholar
Sounds promising then, that things are going to get tougher. My current party is, my char 3, Rhulana and Fogrimm 4, Gladys 3

Shannow

Waster of Time
Claw said:
What do you consider a low level? I was 4th level with Rhulana at 5th when I killed her.
Congrats. Didn't think that was possible. Might they have patched that? I remember many people whining that they weren't able to beat her (because they ignored the dwarf that advised you to come back with more experience under their belts). I tried with level 6 and with lvl 9, failed a few times and came back at level 13, IIRC. Which was then a little overkill...

How did you do it? She was difficult to hit, got reinforcements every time she lost 25% of her health and was imune to wounding, IIRC, while dishing out copious amounts of dmg and wounds. All those rats simply swarmed and overwhelmed me as DSA combat becomes very hard as soon as the ratio exceeds one of you versus 3 or more enemies.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wanted to give my initial impression for those who, like me, hadn't really had this game on their radar until its recent U.S. release. I realize there's a current LP on it, too, but I'm sure it's full of spoil.

Overall this strikes me as a lite RPG, very clean, and just above merely amusing.

It has some depth of character development in the form of your talents and various levels of special skills available, but there's no other customization involved at the beginning. You choose your archetype, adjust some values to your liking, name him or her, then go. Somewhat disappointing, since good RPG's should never skimp on these things.

Dialog is mediocre so far. I like how everyone can be conversed with, and key conversations do a tasteful zoom in to the NPC, but not as "dramatically" as you-know-what. The translation seems okay as well, although there are a few slip ups in grammar I've noticed already.

Combat is fun. Very similar to NWN2 yet a little simpler and not too clunky. Basically it's stand and swing, but there are less penalties involved for moving in combat it seems so there's less of a deathlock in place once you engage. I don't think The Dark Eye rules include anything like an Attack of Opportunity. It's still early for me, though, so I have yet to formulate an overall opinion on the combat.

The interface is almost identical to NWN2's. I hate the fact that there's no hotkey equivalent for movement mode (walk, run, sneak) but I've managed to adapt. I also wish NPC following distance were a little closer, but it's a nice touch that they mimic your actions when exploring. Makes sneaking up on bears in caves a little easier. Having lots of hotkey rows is nice, but the fact that their icons are all quite large, even when running in 1920x1200 is a bit retarded.

Graphics are a cross between NWN2 and WoW. Clean, as I said, and smooth. Very smooth. It's great that the U.S. boxed release already has the high-res texture pack integrated, and everything cranked to max even with 4X antialiasing barely dents FPS.

Sound is nice, and the music is enjoyable. Had to adjust volume levels to hear conversations better, but it's mostly written dialog (TEH READING IS HARD) and I like that.

As long as the story gets better and the environments don't get recycled too often, this looks like it's going to be an enjoyable game. The contrast between the apparent yet somewhat limited character development depth and the ease of play are a pleasant mix which leaves me looking forward to playing more. Certainly not a chore to get into, and it's not insulting to the player's intelligence to invest the time.

Anyone still reading this, please answer this question if possible: I'm a little unsure about main attribute advances. Talents are obviously easy to increase since they take so few points. But your STR, etc., takes hundreds of points to advance: does this mean that one must specifically save the points when leveling up in order to "afford" those costly upgrades later? Same goes for special skills. Thanks.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Shannow said:
Might they have patched that?
I played v1.0.

How did you do it?
Good question. :wink:

It took many attempts. Also, after I had died a few times I started saving during the battle when I was in a "stable" position (usually after defeating a wave of minions) so I wouldn't have to start all over.

The biggest issue were wounds, so healing them and supporting a wounded party member in any way was most critical. I like to use debuffs, particularly Favilludo. I feel that really helps reduce hits on a figher. Even so, a healthy char would sometimes die quite suddenly and then the battle is pretty much over.
All those rats simply swarmed and overwhelmed me as DSA combat becomes very hard as soon as the ratio exceeds one of you versus 3 or more enemies.
Yeah, reducing the number of opponents has to be a priority. You should always focus on the minions first, and the mother when you control the situation.

PS:
Crispy said:
Anyone still reading this, please answer this question if possible: I'm a little unsure about main attribute advances. Talents are obviously easy to increase since they take so few points. But your STR, etc., takes hundreds of points to advance: does this mean that one must specifically save the points when leveling up in order to "afford" those costly upgrades later? Same goes for special skills. Thanks.
You don't gain points when leveling up. However, the answer is yes. You have to save your points until you can afford to raise a special skill or attribute.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I've finished Drakensang.

Cons:
- shitty 3D (but what else we can expect nowadays?)
- shitty RTtwP combat, very easy and boring but a huge challenge because of the 'chaos in 3D effect'
- total linear quests, I solved a murder case only clicking on the responses without reading them(!)
- total boring story
- lots of barrels (full of trash) yeah, you can smash'em
- beware! don't waste your exp. points to animal and plant lore, because using them is an incredible chore, you will regret it
- you can't make a party
- a joined NPC left my party, he was my thief, I taught him every thief skill, but he went away WTF
- I had the interactive movie feeling again
- shitty dungeons (this is not a dungeon crawler)
- cumbersome user interface
- the camera isn't very good

Pros:
- lots of skill, that seemed interesting
- they made only 1 wrong camera instead of 3 unusable cameras (NWN)
- grafix good

I had high expectations for this game because they kept saying it was very old school. But it isn't. It's a very modern game.

Saxon1974

Prophet
theverybigslayer said:
I've finished Drakensang.

Cons:
- shitty 3D (but what else we can expect nowadays?)
- shitty RTtwP combat, very easy and boring but a huge challenge because of the 'chaos in 3D effect'
- total linear quests, I solved a murder case only clicking on the responses without reading them(!)
- total boring story
- lots of barrels (full of trash) yeah, you can smash'em
- beware! don't waste your exp. points to animal and plant lore, because using them is an incredible chore, you will regret it
- you can't make a party
- a joined NPC left my party, he was my thief, I taught him every thief skill, but he went away WTF
- I had the interactive movie feeling again
- shitty dungeons (this is not a dungeon crawler)
- cumbersome user interface
- the camera isn't very good

Pros:
- lots of skill, that seemed interesting
- they made only 1 wrong camera instead of 3 unusable cameras (NWN)
- grafix good

I had high expectations for this game because they kept saying it was very old school. But it isn't. It's a very modern game.

Are the game areas blocked off where you cant freely explore? Is there anything fun about exploring around?

Are there any interesting NPC's to talk to?

I think Im going to pass on this one, linear quests and all the other negatives you mention makes it sound like a waste of money.

made

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Are the game areas blocked off where you cant freely explore?
New areas open up once you get a quest for them. When you complete said quest the area is closed off forever.

Is there anything fun about exploring around?
No.

Are there any interesting NPC's to talk to?
Well, there's that dwarf who's hiding in a barrel because he lost his beard...

icolan

Novice
Are you sure the amiga game you were thinking of wasn't Drakkhen?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think overall the game engine is good but the gameplay is severely lacking in terms of content variety. Seeing a merchant crying about his lost ring in the sewers is one of those groan outloud moments I've had in the game.

It's extremely linear. Combat flows like KOTOR a tad slow but acceptable yet the poor quests can be quite annoying. I can feel they've got potential with this, but most of the content are sadly very uninspired. They need to get better writers who are more willing to give the players more freedom to explore. Exploration wasn't really rewarding, while staying in town was really boring. Replayability is quite poor for a RPG that touts lots and lots of character customization.

There was a plot point where you chase assassins in sewers, but the tension was broken when they give you so many junctions leading to room full of rats and barrels to smash for small loot pickings, and guess what? They will wait for you at the end of the tunnel, cursing and swearing about you spoiling their plan by successfully following them to their hideout. Congrats, you've won, no matter how slow you are. That's just bad design. I'm surprised no tester complained about this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom