Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nox: Opinions?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now I have to choose a class, really hesitating between warrior and conjurer. I like kinetic play and doing things myself, so summons feel like cheating a bit, but I also like to have some utility and flexibility which the conjurer seems to have. Goddamn it this game is hard lol.

Conjurer was p easy iirc, out of the 3 classes it was the easiest to do the last fight with too. Never managed to beat her with mage though
Yeah I wasn't looking for the easy mode, just the most fun / interesting one. Went with conjurer, it's fun, I like it. You're not a good mage nor a good fighter, need to do a bit of both.

I just got to Chapter 8 and got summoning, so this might get a bit too easy. Up till now only the Mage Tower has been challenging, and I must say though I'm not really using potions, just using the heal spell, remove poison spell, and recharging mana at the crystals, so that makes it more challenging.

I really wish there were on screen indicators for equipment durability like in Diablo 1, rather than having to go check in the inventory. Lost my armor and didn't even realize.

visions

Arcane
Now I have to choose a class, really hesitating between warrior and conjurer. I like kinetic play and doing things myself, so summons feel like cheating a bit, but I also like to have some utility and flexibility which the conjurer seems to have. Goddamn it this game is hard lol.

Conjurer was p easy iirc, out of the 3 classes it was the easiest to do the last fight with too. Never managed to beat her with mage though
Why,the last fight was the same with all of them?! You just get the staff and electrisize her.

Couldn't survive death ray with mage, with protections up one hit left me with 1 hp and i died fairly fast. Warriors could tank it a little and conjurers just summoned golems to tank for them.
From what i remember there were shield spells also you spam healing,you have run around quite a lot tho,it is not that hard.

Played through Nox both as the conjurer and the wizard a few months ago. Hecubah was noticeably easier with the conjurer. Lucked out on like my second attempt, killed her with the staff from behind when she was busy fighting my summoned Ogre Lords (never liked the Golem much because it's so fucking slow).

With the wizard
I used the Reflective Shield spell a lot against her. With the Reflective Shield up I hit her with Confuse, blasted her with the staff when she was confused then used the Reflective Shield spell again when she was no longer confused. Repeated that cycle until I won, with recharging my staff/using potions in between.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Why,the last fight was the same with all of them?! You just get the staff and electrisize her.

Couldn't survive death ray with mage, with protections up one hit left me with 1 hp and i died fairly fast. Warriors could tank it a little and conjurers just summoned golems to tank for them.
From what i remember there were shield spells also you spam healing,you have run around quite a lot tho,it is not that hard.

Played through Nox both as the conjurer and the wizard a few months ago. Hecubah was noticeably easier with the conjurer. Lucked out on like my second attempt, killed her with the staff from behind when she was busy fighting my summoned Ogre Lords (never liked the Golem much because it's so fucking slow).

With the wizard
I used the Reflective Shield spell a lot against her. With the Reflective Shield up I hit her with Confuse, blasted her with the staff when she was confused then used the Reflective Shield spell again when she was no longer confused. Repeated that cycle until I won, with recharging my staff/using potions in between.
Hecubah herself actually uses pretty good summons. Ember Demons are very good offensively. In my experience the fight was easier on Wizard if you play very aggressively. You can end it in a matter of seconds. Conjurer is a much safer experience though.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh shit I'm almost at the end and just realized that learning the same spell multiple times increases its power. And I have deliberately not been buying the same spells twice, and wondering why finding a spell you already have didn't go into your inventory for you to sell. FFS lol

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
So that was short and sweet.

This game's got really great gameplay, and it's even challenging after the first half. Mimics are great and fuck you up, but then you get them as summons hehehe

:greatjob:

visions

Arcane
Do you guys buy the wolves in Ix when playing as the Warrior?

I aborted a Warrior playthrough last year in Galava Castle because keeping the wolves alive became kinda tiring. Replayed Nox as the Warrior this year, this time I lost the wolves before the throne room in Dün Mir (they didn't die, must have gotten stuck somewhere) so I didn't have to worry about keeping them alive in the Galava Castle and finished the game with the Warrior too.

But I'm wondering how far into the game have you managed to keep the wolves alive as the Warrior? I think when I first played the game as a kid nearly 20 years ago, I lost the wolves in the Fields of Valour (I think they died to one of the bosses there).

This conundrum doesn't exist as the Conjurer (since you can dismiss creations/charmed creatures) nor does it matter much as the wizard (since you first visit Ix when you are so high level that there's not much point in buying the wolves). But I really hate seeing the doggos die when playing as the Warrior.

index.php

Arcane
https://www.patreon.com/posts/opennox-is-open-64921239

https://github.com/noxworld-dev/opennox

APR 9, 2022 AT 8:34 PM
OpenNox is finally open-source!

Hello everyone! It has been quite some time since our last post, but the silence has been for a good reason. We have been figuring out ways to make the project open-source (as the word "open" in OpenNox implies), and today we can finally announce that the project's main repository is now public!

Details
If you were following the project updates recently, you may know about our open letter to EA.

We did get a response from EA, but unfortunately, they were not able to give an official statement regarding the OpenNox project, modding of the original Nox game, and the status of its source code.

Not wanting this response to hold back the development of the OpenNox project, we reached out to our other contacts and also members of the C&C community who had recent contact with EA (as part of the C&C Remastered Collection) for advice to on how continue the development of the project and the open source process.

We want to specifically thank CCHyper from the C&C community for assistance with open sourcing the OpenNox project!

The two most important parts of this open source process are: The GPL 3 license and The C&C Modding Guidelines.

Open-source license
OpenNox will be made open source under the GPL 3 license. There are two main reasons for us choosing this license;

Firstly, the C&C Remastered Collection's DLL source code was released under the GPL 3 license in 2020. This means that EA made an internal effort to review the terms of this license and how it ensures protection of their copyrighted assets and code, while keeping in mind the benefit that releasing the source code would have to the modding community. We assume that a similar license would be chosen by EA if it was to ever release the source code for any other game in the future under their brand, and because of this we feel it’s best to release the OpenNox project using the same license out of respect to EA and their intellectual property.

Secondly, GPL 3 makes it impractical to make a commercial project based on the released source, since it requires the modified source to be released under the same license as well.

Our choice of this license for the OpenNox project might not be final, so we have made additional steps to ensure that we can re-license it in the future if we receive more information on EA’s position. In practice this means that all PRs to the project must be signed-off and explicitly allow re-licensing, otherwise we are unable to accept your contribution(s).

Further, we want to again emphasize that OpenNox is a community collaboration project with the goal of preservation, modding and compatibility of the original Nox experience. No assets, texts, artwork or other media from the original game is included in this project. We do not condone piracy in any way, shape or form and encourage users to legally own the original game. All PRs must explicitly state that the author owns the change and it doesn't breach the rules of the license.

Modding guideline
The second most important part of making OpenNox open source was to make sure we follow the C&C Modding Guidelines going forward. These guidelines are the best example we have of EA's position regarding the modding of games under the Westwood Studios brand, and although these guidelines are specifically related to the C&C Remastered Collection, we can assume the guidelines are generic and define important rules under which a mod or project for any EA game must operate.

To give an idea what these rules include:

• Respect the right of others. Mods must not infringe copyright. Follow the same age rating as the base game.
  • No EA affiliation. Project description must clearly state it's not endorsed by EA. Do not use original game logos.
  • Safety and integrity. Must not jeopardize the gameplay, must not interfere with EA services. No malware.
  • Intellectual property ownership. All game assets belong to EA. Project must not distribute them.
  • Abide by all other EA rules. Including GPL, EA User Agreement, etc. See original article.
Additionally, funding efforts (like our Patreon) must:

• Donation requests must not appear in the mod.
  • Donors must not be provided with in-game advantage, special levels, abilities, special text, units, items, etc. Users must get the same experience as donors.
  • Donors that are corporations cannot be listed in credits. Only individuals may.
If you plan to contribute to OpenNox, it's required for you to read the whole article and agree to these guidelines and rules.

What's next?
Of course, there are always more we can do on this front, so we will continue to ensure the OpenNox project follows all the guidelines and expectations set out by EA in their other games, and we will continue to develop a relationship with EA if the opportunity ever arises.

Now, having this process in place, we can finally resume active development. And what's great about open-source - you can now contribute to the project too!

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Now, if only you people could say what makes it so awesome, that would be nice
Gameplay aside, one of the things is actually the installer, believe it or not. A shame that Gog did not see fit to include a modified version of it. The installer uses the time to deliver a massive lore dump, that explains much of the history of the lands, and part of the main plot.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I only ever played NOX in multiplayer, it was so fun. It was like a MOBA before they existed only it was much more fun, no grind, no stupid lanes, and no shitty team mates. (It was FFA).

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
OpenNox supports manual spellcasting !
https://github.com/noxworld-dev/opennox/blob/dev/docs/game-manual-cast.md
gestures.png
gestures_config_2.png

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
It was a time when Westwood made a number of such installers, Red Alert 2 also had one. And it was supercool.
Yup. The lore dumps aren’t given elsewhere, so downloading from GOG means you’re missing key parts of the story unless you know to watch it on YT. Which must be unfair for new players… but if you’re the sort of person who plays these games you probably played them when they came out and already know about it, so I guess it balances out

Altho the installer was remade for C&C remastered, so here’s hoping the same is done if/when TS/RA2 remastered ever releases

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The Lands of Lore 2 installer had better art than the rest of the game, but even the game art was beautiful work.

*You can safely skip [the installer log] after playing the first minute and a half of the clip...

Absinthe

Arcane
Nox should have been the one that got imitated. To what extent is the claim that Diablo 2 killed Nox true? Nox is superior in every way for combat. Precise, responsive controls with a huge range of useful and flexible skills. With more focus on character customization (items, stats, skill progression, etc.), online cooperation, and an easy way to determine player skill (helping players fight people of similar skill if desired) Nox might have been more popular.
It's not true at all. There was a problem with how a lot of game reviewers sort of approached NoX as a Diablo 1.5 but NoX's appeal was pretty much independent of Diablo's and having D2 does nothing to make you want to stop playing NoX where you probably spent large amounts of time killing people in multiplayer. What killed NoX was actually mismanagement. IIRC the staff got cannibalized for other projects and EA didn't really know what to do with it so it sort of lingered there as the userbase died down. The entire NoX Quest mini-addon basically got zero marketing exposure, and they failed to release a map editor so you were stuck with only the official maps and hacked variations even though the game supports downloading a map when joining a server like in Quake 3 Arena. Years later a pretty powerful community map editor got released and people started making custom maps, but by that point much of the damage was done. IIRC there was supposed to be more expansion content and mod support in the works, but it never materialized, aside from a NoX Quest update which came in the form of a patch (which was some neat free content, nowadays they'd DLC the fuck out of every content addition instead of providing it as free patch content).

By the way, on the subject of NoX's multiplayer situation: While NoX still has active multiplayer servers, GOG claims it doesn't for some daft fucking reason and refuses to include the multiplayer components in their custom installer so you need to download and install that shit separately. It's been pointed out to GOG but they didn't give a fuck and refused to fix it and continue to insist that the official multiplayer servers are no longer available, which is technically true, in that the original official multiplayer servers are indeed long gone, but the unmodded game client connects automatically to the XWIS community servers (because Westwood Studios themselves made it redirect there when they took down their own servers) which do have active NoX games, so for practical purposes full of shit. GOG doesn't even need to do anything except give you the exact same multiplayer components that the original game has, and it would work without issues, but they don't. They intentionally modified their installation to lack the Westwood Online multiplayer components it's supposed to have by default. So that shit has helped keep the NoX multiplayer scene down since the GOG release doesn't connect and misleads everyone who wants multiplayer. Anyway, all you really need is the Westwood Online installer (WestwoodOnline.exe) and the game should connect to the multiplayer servers. Someone had to make their own Westwood Online installer to make multiplayer work with GOG releases again (usually the Nox Solution patch is better nowadays, since it also has a compatibility patch for newer Windows), but there are also downloadable versions of the entire game client with multiplayer functionality, like Nox Reloaded (which the Nox Community website provides) or even a browser client (missing some music though and sound effects though) on https://playnox.xyz/.

These days there's an open source NoX clone in the works, called OpenNox. Anyway, if you want to check out NoX shit, go to:
This is one hell of a digression from Diablo though, since, like I said, NoX really wasn't trying to be a Diablo clone. EA asked for some Diablo-ish content so they added the singleplayer campaign (which is pretty good tbh, and pretty different based on what class you're playing), but the multiplayer combat was where it's at. It had more in common with Q3A and Unreal Tournament than Diablo tbh.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My favorite memory of Nox was playing deathmatch as a conjuror. I came running around the bend and encountered another conjuror and we both started casting Force of Nature, a spell with a long charge up time that forces you to stand still while it casts. So the two of us had to sit there waiting for what felt like forever. I got mine off a few milliseconds before his and took him out.

Ladonna

Arcane
I played through it as a warrior back in the day. Great fun dealing with spell casters. Constantly using the grappling hook to grab the bastards before they could duck back through doorways. And I had to time my hits and running perfectly with those damn chest monsters. The Chackrum stars made the end game too easy though.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Nox should have been the one that got imitated. To what extent is the claim that Diablo 2 killed Nox true? Nox is superior in every way for combat. Precise, responsive controls with a huge range of useful and flexible skills. With more focus on character customization (items, stats, skill progression, etc.), online cooperation, and an easy way to determine player skill (helping players fight people of similar skill if desired) Nox might have been more popular.
It's not true at all. There was a problem with how a lot of game reviewers sort of approached NoX as a Diablo 1.5 but NoX's appeal was pretty much independent of Diablo's and having D2 does nothing to make you want to stop playing NoX where you probably spent large amounts of time killing people in multiplayer. What killed NoX was actually mismanagement. IIRC the staff got cannibalized for other projects and EA didn't really know what to do with it so it sort of lingered there as the userbase died down. The entire NoX Quest mini-addon basically got zero marketing exposure, and they failed to release a map editor so you were stuck with only the official maps and hacked variations even though the game supports downloading a map when joining a server like in Quake 3 Arena. Years later a pretty powerful community map editor got released and people started making custom maps, but by that point much of the damage was done. IIRC there was supposed to be more expansion content and mod support in the works, but it never materialized, aside from a NoX Quest update which came in the form of a patch (which was some neat free content, nowadays they'd DLC the fuck out of every content addition instead of providing it as free patch content).

By the way, on the subject of NoX's multiplayer situation: While NoX still has active multiplayer servers, GOG claims it doesn't for some daft fucking reason and refuses to include the multiplayer components in their custom installer so you need to download and install that shit separately. It's been pointed out to GOG but they didn't give a fuck and refused to fix it and continue to insist that the official multiplayer servers are no longer available, which is technically true, in that the original official multiplayer servers are indeed long gone, but the unmodded game client connects automatically to the XWIS community servers (because Westwood Studios themselves made it redirect there when they took down their own servers) which do have active NoX games, so for practical purposes full of shit. GOG doesn't even need to do anything except give you the exact same multiplayer components that the original game has, and it would work without issues, but they don't. They intentionally modified their installation to lack the Westwood Online multiplayer components it's supposed to have by default. So that shit has helped keep the NoX multiplayer scene down since the GOG release doesn't connect and misleads everyone who wants multiplayer. Anyway, all you really need is the Westwood Online installer (WestwoodOnline.exe) and the game should connect to the multiplayer servers. Someone had to make their own Westwood Online installer to make multiplayer work with GOG releases again (usually the Nox Solution patch is better nowadays, since it also has a compatibility patch for newer Windows), but there are also downloadable versions of the entire game client with multiplayer functionality, like Nox Reloaded (which the Nox Community website provides) or even a browser client (missing some music though and sound effects though) on https://playnox.xyz/.

These days there's an open source NoX clone in the works, called OpenNox. Anyway, if you want to check out NoX shit, go to:
This is one hell of a digression from Diablo though, since, like I said, NoX really wasn't trying to be a Diablo clone. EA asked for some Diablo-ish content so they added the singleplayer campaign (which is pretty good tbh, and pretty different based on what class you're playing), but the multiplayer combat was where it's at. It had more in common with Q3A and Unreal Tournament than Diablo tbh.
Great post. I played OpenNox a few days ago with manual spellcasting. If I remember correctly I read that the original intention was to get all spells to require manual casting. It felt great; this could have lessened the power gap between the warrior and the wizard without nerfing the potential of the wizard. Interesting that GOG wouldn't enable multiplayer. Extreme laziness after making a bad decision or something else?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The entire NoX Quest mini-addon basically got zero marketing exposure, and they failed to release a map editor so you were stuck with only the official maps and hacked variations even though the game supports downloading a map when joining a server like in Quake 3 Arena.
That's a god damn fucking shame. Grrrr.....

Absinthe

Arcane
The most basic custom map back in the day was to take a multiplayer map, tweak it so you can load it as if it were a save file, use a hex editor to hack your Nox so you can spawn custom items and monsters, then save, and set the saved file back as a multiplayer map. Some more advanced hacks involved people actually hacking the map files and tweaking stuff, mostly to add pits and teleporters I think. But it was a lot of years after Nox came out until the community map editor became available.

Incidentally, if someone is dedicated enough it should be possible to enable co-op runs of the singleplayer campaigns now, but that might involve hacking it up to work with Nox Quest.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I have what I believe was an official patch that added procedural quests to Nox if anyone is interested. However, I don't recall if it supported multi-player or not. Searching for "Nox quest addon" seems to show it up in a few places.

EDIT: Apologies, this is probably what Absinthe was referring to by "NoX Quest mini-addon".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom