Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nvidia wants to ruin PC gaming

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Click

"I don’t think it’ll replace his PC gaming experience. It’ll just extend it. He’ll give up a bit of resolution and latency, but I think he’ll appreciate that for the convenience of being able to play on multiple devices.”

Sure. Let's cut corners a little bit here, a litlle bit there. Resolution, latency....totally not important to PC gaming. Explain that to some SC2 e-sport players.

“What’s also exciting is that you’ve got the supercomputer in these cloud data center with access to all kinds of resources for memory and storage. Games keep getting larger and larger with all the art they put into them, and the downloads are becoming unmanageable. With cloud, you no longer have to download, so you can develop even richer worlds.”
Unmanageable? Stop putting tens of Gigabytes of bik videos into your stupid fucking game then.
Now we can watch movies over cloud instead? How innovative.

“I don’t think people are going to stop buying games tomorrow,” Eisler concluded. “What you’re going to see is that cloud gaming will become the fastest-growing area of the game market. And it’ll probably be where the growth in gaming is going to be over the next five years. The other areas aren’t going to stop over night.

No, but they'll inevitably sonner or later disappear thanks to the pressure of lobbying money. See how Microsoft changed the gaming landscape entirely with the Xbox - for the worse.

Looking forward to monthly subscription based "PC gaming" my ass.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Predictable. It's the only possible outcome with the technology we have and the politics of electronic entertainment corporations. The only valid question is: 'when?'.

But what is REALLY sad and enraging- those all comments under articles like this.
ITS TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS WHY DO YOU NOT LIKE IT IDIOT, ITS A FUCKIN BIG PROGRESS AND ITS AWESOME BECAUSE ITS PROGRESS, SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU PIRATE AND WANK WITH ME TO THE PROGRESS, IF THERE WASN'T DUMBFUCKS LIKE YOU WE'D HAVE THIS PROGRESS YEARS AGO AND ALL WOULD BE SO PROGRESSFULLY NOW

:hmmm:

Mortmal

Arcane
20 years ? you are oddly optimistic for a codexer, this will happens in the next few years. No risk to see them out of business as you wont have the choice, microsoft and sony going this way too. No matter how everyone think diablo 3 is dumbed down and requires online , face it most of us bought it. It will be the same, the proud codexer will take his online subscription and continue to enjoy his new bioware ARPG , but this time it will work s on the tablet too with added lag.

potatojohn

Arcane
In 10 years you'll have today's consolefags whining about the decline from the golden days of Gears of War and CoD.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
20 years ? you are oddly optimistic for a codexer, this will happens in the next few years. No risk to see them out of business as you wont have the choice, microsoft and sony going this way too. No matter how everyone think diablo 3 is dumbed down and requires online , face it most of us bought it. It will be the same, the proud codexer will take his online subscription and continue to enjoy his new bioware ARPG , but this time it will work s on the tablet too with added lag.

Dude, requiring online like Diablo 3 isn't my concern. My concern is completely server based gaming. Streaming the whole fucking client in realtime onto your shitty device/PC.

I still want to have the fucking client installed on my local hard disk, thank you.

Mortmal

Arcane

Dude, requiring online like Diablo 3 isn't my concern. My concern is completely server based gaming. Streaming the whole fucking client in realtime onto your shitty device/PC.

I still want to have the fucking client installed on my local hard disk, thank you.

Dont get it wrong, i absolutely dont want that , i dont like the way the things are going i d prefer to have my big box with a big manual for my rpg ,this wont happen anymore , diablo 3 is there to prove what will happen now. I am sure the client would be easy to keep serverside .There wont be any reason to buy a gaming pc rig soon, even the best indies will come on tablet , consoles will be terminals to play mainstream games on the big TV.Even for working you dont need an home pc anymore.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
“What’s also exciting is that you’ve got the supercomputer in these cloud data center with access to all kinds of resources for memory and storage. Games keep getting larger and larger with all the art they put into them, and the downloads are becoming unmanageable. With cloud, you no longer have to download, so you can develop even richer worlds.”​

Unmanageable? Stop putting tens of Gigabytes of bik videos into your stupid fucking game then.
Now we can watch movies over cloud instead? How innovative.

How exactly does downloading a game once overnight require more bandwidth than continuously streaming HD video whenever I feel like playing?

Meh, Diablo 3 is pretty much there in terms of the tangible drawbacks of cloud gaming. Just needs a subscription-based service to round it out now.

RMAH is your microtransaction subscription service right there.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

What's the big difference? You're still getting lag. :troll:

Most people won't care and they'll just think it's totally convenient. Like.. hmm.. who were those guys... ah, yes, Steamtards, who think it's totally convenient that you can play the games wherever you go. DERP.

Live gaming is just the next step from Steam. I'm sure it will help save PC gaming just like Steam did, cuz you can play it on PC too, amirite?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Predictable. It's the only possible outcome with the technology we have and the politics of electronic entertainment corporations. The only valid question is: 'when?'.

But what is REALLY sad and enraging- those all comments under articles like this.
ITS TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS WHY DO YOU NOT LIKE IT IDIOT, ITS A FUCKIN BIG PROGRESS AND ITS AWESOME BECAUSE ITS PROGRESS, SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU PIRATE AND WANK WITH ME TO THE PROGRESS, IF THERE WASN'T DUMBFUCKS LIKE YOU WE'D HAVE THIS PROGRESS YEARS AGO AND ALL WOULD BE SO PROGRESSFULLY NOW

:hmmm:

Unfortunately there are many idiots who hail all new tech just because it's new, never mind if it's good or not. It's because of people like them that shitty companies like Apple thrive.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Traitor.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
PhysX will render my butthurt tears ingame in real time as the built in kinect watches me cry, then the Microsoft Bob voice will go "EL OH EL, EL OH EL, FAY GOT."

Cassidy

Arcane
Don't care. For me any "cloud-based" only game, like Gothic 4: ArcaniA, does not exist and if they become the only ones, then I'll consider electronic gaming dead, move to another hobby and replay old stuff once in a while, leaving the drooling idiots and weak-willed corporate bitches and consumerist sheeple to wallow in their shit, including the so many posers here.

Jashiin

Arcane
As though nvidia hasn't tried killing it's own pc market with their shitty 7600 powering 8 years of console decline.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I understand where it's coming from but it will arrive about 20 years after we play every game with VR goggles and force feedback sex dolls. Which is about 10 years after we get our standard issue jetpacks to make it to work at our job on mars.

When a tech company starts talking bullshit like this usually means they have some seriously cracked out CEOs.
Last time a hardware company went this far off the reservation, AMD almost got bankrupt and had to spin off their fabs to some arabs in order to survive as a fabless semiconductor company. The winner? Intel. The looser? Everybody else. I hope Nvidia aren't heading towards performing harakiri and giving Intel another leg up in the semiconductor biz.

Mortmal

Arcane
No matter how everyone think diablo 3 is dumbed down and requires online , face it most of us bought it.

How does it feel having no willpower and being a corporate bitch? I'm genuinely curious.

Ah well friends are playing it , so it was either corporate bitch or outcast alone forever...Odlly enough you are brofisted by other corporate bitches , remorse maybe :)

Cassidy

Arcane
No matter how everyone think diablo 3 is dumbed down and requires online , face it most of us bought it.

How does it feel having no willpower and being a corporate bitch? I'm genuinely curious.

Ah well friends are playing it , so it was either corporate bitch or outcast alone forever...Odlly enough you are brofisted by other corporate bitches , remorse maybe :)

Really, if you need to match tastes and monkey everything your "friends" do to have friends... I have no words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom