Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

Tigranes

Arcane
SOZ is fun, it's just entirely different thing from MOTB.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Storm of Zehir plays against the strengths of the engine. Mysteries of Westgate does not; it's all right, but don't expect more than a mildly entertaining story.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey everyone, I need your help here. I want to (re)play NWN2 because I remember exactly three things about it:
- there's a druid npc with a badger as her animal companion;
- there's a dwarf fighter who wants to gimp his build with monk levels;
- there's a trial.

However, IIRC, you can't freely multiclass your companions in this game, and I would really like to do that in order to use this mod to its full potential:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/hakpak/original-hakpak/tome-battle-book-nine-swords

Does anyone know what's the best way to introduce multiclassing in the game? I found a couple of mods, but I don't know how to find out which of them if the best/most stable one.

Tagging S0rcererV1ct0r because he seems to know a lot about this game (I mean, it has warlocks in it, after all).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Does anyone know what's the best way to introduce multiclassing in the game? I found a couple of mods, but I don't know how to find out which of them if the best/most stable one.
Okay, for future reference, there's an easy way to achieve this without mods: you just need to launch the toolset that comes with the game (the NWN2ToolsetLauncher executable in the game folder) and then click on Plugins -> Campaign Editor. From there, on the left you have to select the module you want to play, and on the right you have to set "AllowUnrestrictedLevelUp" to "True". Click "Save Campaign" and it's done.

Prime Junta

The question remains, however...

...why?

It's piss easy as it is. I don't even want to think how soporific it would get if you could make Qara an Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep or Khelgar a Frenzied Berserker.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

...why?

It's piss easy as it is. I don't even want to think how soporific it would get if you could make Qara an Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep or Khelgar a Frenzied Berserker.
I'm only interested in trying the three classes introduced by the Tome of Battle mod (Crusader, Warblade and Swordsage). Not to make the game easier, but to see if they are fun to play.

I don't think I'm going to play the game three times just to try each class on a different main character.

Prime Junta

I'm only interested in trying the three classes introduced by the Tome of Battle mod (Crusader, Warblade and Swordsage). Not to make the game easier, but to see if they are fun to play.

In that case I'd go with Storm of Zehir, it's made for that kind of fun.

Yosharian

Arcane

...why?

Because it's interesting? People enjoy building different characters out in an RPG, gee this is a hard concept to understand

Cael

Arcane
Qara as an Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep would fit her personality to a T, won't it? :D

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I remember SOZ doing something I've been wanting ever since; you could have a few recruits (2?) beyond the party which you created, and you could control their input in conversation, switching between the characters. Sometimes this meant they could give player-controlled input when talking with NPCs, and it also made skills relevant across the entire party.

I really liked that. Too bad no-one ever did it again, because it was a cool way to make everyone in the party relevant. I've always wanted to see it done in a game with full party members, allowing a companion to specialize in, say, Intimidation, and have genuine input based on that.

Using PoE2 as an example because I'm currently playing it, Edér could've pushed Intimidate, and as a consequence, gotten dialogue options from Edér to have him threaten people.

Gargaune

Magister
I remember SOZ doing something I've been wanting ever since; you could have a few recruits (2?) beyond the party which you created, and you could control their input in conversation, switching between the characters. Sometimes this meant they could give player-controlled input when talking with NPCs, and it also made skills relevant across the entire party.

I really liked that. Too bad no-one ever did it again, because it was a cool way to make everyone in the party relevant. I've always wanted to see it done in a game with full party members, allowing a companion to specialize in, say, Intimidation, and have genuine input based on that.

Using PoE2 as an example because I'm currently playing it, Edér could've pushed Intimidate, and as a consequence, gotten dialogue options from Edér to have him threaten people.
Yeah, it's a shame that sort of approach didn't get developed in later titles. Both Deadfire and Kingmaker have vignettes where you can select which party member will undergo an individual check, but regular dialogues are locked to the selected character. Sawyer did try to riff on this by gaining assist bonuses from other qualified party members, but the result felt artificial and bloated.

Delterius

Arcane

...why?

Because it's interesting? People enjoy building different characters out in an RPG, gee this is a hard concept to understand
Building characters and then not playing this awful game is precisely the kind of fun that NwN excels at. So, why care that it makes the demo easier?

infniitron

Not Infinitron
OJipY1w

Which negotiation skill is the best for my Joseph Stalin build? intimidate or diplomacy or bluff?

Cael

Arcane
Stalin was Lawful Evil? Given his treachery and backstabbing, isn't he more Chaotic than Lawful?

bec de corbin

Educated
Stalin was Lawful Evil? Given his treachery and backstabbing, isn't he more Chaotic than Lawful?

Good question. If you're a totalitarian dictator does that mean no matter what you do to your subjects it's considered Lawful? Truly a question for the ages.

Cael

Arcane

Good question. If you're a totalitarian dictator does that mean no matter what you do to your subjects it's considered Lawful? Truly a question for the ages.
Keeping one's word, having honour and the like is Lawful. Lying, backstabbing and the like is Chaotic.

That is the DnD definition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom