Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 vs Baldur's Gate

Biges

Novice
I once tried NWN and was deeply disappointed by its lack of strong story and actually ugly graphics compared to Baldur's Gate 1/2.

So I'd like to ask, if Neverwinter Nights 2 is more like BG, i.e. a game with strongy story and colourful enviroment or more like Icewind Dale, i.e. mostly "go there and kill all what moves" or "go there and fetch this" with flawed camera etc.

And in case I'd try NWN2, should I play it without expansins, or add them over right away.

Thanks

Edit: I finished BG1/2 several times, one of the best RPGs ever.

Edit: As people keep hinting RPG, there is the list of games I finished:

Arcanum
BG1/2
Morrowind (in contrast I find Oblivion boring)
Fallout 1,2 (F3 boring for me)
Gothic 1,2 (not G3... you know)
Vampire: Bloodlines (great atmosphere)
Kotor 1,2 (although Kotor 2 only barely)
Betrayal at Krondor
Planescape Torment
The Witcher
Quest for Glory 1-4 (not RPG by some people standards)

Andhaira

Arcane
NWN2 is more like NWN1. Its crap.

Play Baldurs Gate 2 instead (play 1 first if you haven't played it)

Drakensang is also worth playing more than NWN. If you can run NWN on your rig, you can run Drakensang (its also very pretty)

Tails

Arbiter
NWN is great proof that Bioware shouldn't do any games by themselves. Some moments (especially conversation with Linu La'neral - that's my girl! :lol: ) made me :facepalm: and wonder, how they could add such crap to game. Try NWN2 With Mask of Betrayer.

Biges

Novice
Thanks for your answers! Maybe I could try a demo, but according to you it is crap.

I finished BG and BG2 several times, although BG2:ToB only once (it was exactly the hack & slash I don't like). Maybe I'll go through mods and give it a one more go.

Icewind Dale has a nice graphics, but I find its linearity boring (just my personal impression).

@AndhairaX Drakensang sound like a very good idea, I had not known about the game before you mentioned it. And there is a demo available! :)

Andhaira

Arcane
Just so you know Biges, Drkanesang gets better as you play it. the start is kinda boring ( but its has its rustic charms...basically you start off in a quaint village). If you liked Baldurs Gate 1, you will like Drakensang.

Vibalist

Arcane
Biges said:
Thanks for your answers! Maybe I could try a demo, but according to you it is crap.

I finished BG and BG2 several times, although BG2:ToB only once (it was exactly the hack & slash I don't like). Maybe I'll go through mods and give it a one more go.

Icewind Dale has a nice graphics, but I find its linearity boring (just my personal impression).

@AndhairaX Drakensang sound like a very good idea, I had not known about the game before you mentioned it. And there is a demo available! :)

I recommend trying NWN2, not because the game itself is very good, but because it has one of the most amazing expansion packs ever, called Mask of the Betrayer.
So, if you decide to get NWN2, get MoTB too.

Biges

Novice
AndhairaX said:
Just so you know Biges, Drkanesang gets better as you play it. the start is kinda boring ( but its has its rustic charms...basically you start off in a quaint village). If you liked Baldurs Gate 1, you will like Drakensang.

OK, I'll try to keep this in mind. This kind of warning which is always good to hear.

Vibalist said:
I recommend trying NWN2, not because the game itself is very good, but because it has one of the most amazing expansion packs ever, called Mask of the Betrayer.
So, if you decide to get NWN2, get MoTB too.

So you basically recommend going NWN2 full with all expansions and so?

racofer

Thread Incliner
NWN2 has terrible user interface, awful camera positioning, abysmal optimization. If you like to sodomize yourself, then I suggest a carrot (which is inexpensive and easy to use), instead of this huge amount of shitty code lines self entitled as a game.

If otherwise your intention wasn't to sodomize yourself, then replay any of those games you previously mentioned. It will be better.

nomask7

Arcane
The expansion packs are completely different games. You need to have the original(s) installed to play them, but otherwise you don't have to bother with the original campaigns, which are vastly inferior to the expansions. Especially Hordes of the Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer are some of the best games (that happen to be expansions) ever made. They're much better than BG2, if you ask me.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
BG2 > anything NWN

Btw I hope I don't spoil you but Drakensang has orsum graffix, big bloomboobs and is *boring*, as in *do not play more than once*.

nomask7

Arcane
Some of the above comments come from 14-year-old nerds who think D&D combat can be tactical just like chess and are still fascinated by basic things like putting shit in their mouth (think of babies), but can't really appreciate more subtle, adult stuff like HotU and MotB (great atmosphere, story, setting).

Major_Boobage

Scholar
volly.gif

Deleted member 7219

Vaarna_Aarne said:
BG2 is a highly overrated mediocre game.

Damn right. Both NWNs blow BG2 out of the water, and as for BG1, it was fucking awful.

MetalCraze

Arcane
NWN2 and BG1 are both shit.
However BG1 is less shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom