Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 vs Baldur's Gate

Black

Arcane
NWN 2 had at least 2 redeeming factors: the keep and the trial (too bad it was jrpg-ish trial). BG has none. It's overhyped.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I had a lot of fun with Mask of the Betrayer (the first expansion to NWN2). It was similar to Planescape in a lot of ways.

Also, you should play games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2. I didn't see them on your list of RPGs that you've played.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
" for BG1, it was fucking awful."

No.

Yes.

Running around empty maps hacking up mobs with a god-awful combat system? It was fucking AWFUL.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
nomask7 said:
Some of the above comments come from 14-year-old nerds who think D&D combat can be tactical just like chess and are still fascinated by basic things like putting shit in their mouth (think of babies), but can't really appreciate more subtle, adult stuff like HotU and MotB (great atmosphere, story, setting).

You refer to me, because I once made an analogy regarding strategy and tactics in RPGs and Chess?
Since you are the selfproclaimed *best* poster on the site, I'll help you to get your information straight.
I'm 33 years old, don't think D&D combat is as awesome as Chess, think that HotU was pretty good and that MotB was great. I r undecided on teh baby shit lol.
Now go and craft one of your brilliant posts with these new facts.
But don't try and lecture me on Chess armed with one or two Wikipedia articles and an out-of-context Fischer one-liner.

nomask7

Arcane
Butthurt much that the best chess player in the history of chess agreed with me on chess?

PS. anything NWN > anything BG

Ebonsword

Arcane
NWN2 is not as good as BG1 or BG2, but it is much better than NWN1.

NWN1 was just awful because D&D is built around having a party, and NWN1 didn't let you create one.

Being party-based, NWN2 avoids that problem nicely.

While I don't think that the art direction, quest creation, or combat are as good in NWN2 as BG2 (or BG1, for that matter), I find that the massive amount of character customization offered by all of the classes, prestige classes, and races makes up for a lot.

Vibalist

Arcane
Biges said:
So you basically recommend going NWN2 full with all expansions and so?

Not necesarrily. I haven't played the second expansion pack, Storm of Zehir, but have heard very mixed things about it. As for the third expansion, Mysteries of Westgate, I played about 7-8 hours and got bored, as the whole experience was just a terribly dull and unimaginative one, at least up until the point where I quit.

So, I recommend going with the original campaing, which is a rpg-lite experience with a somewhat cliched story, but not completely unworthwhile. Then, after completion, move on to MoTB, which is a continuation of the OC campaign, and brace yourself for one of the best roleplaying games in recent times. It has both a great plot and plenty of good opportuneties for roleplay. And an original setting, too.
It's almost as good as BG2 and Planescape, in my very humble opinion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN1 was just awful because D&D is built around having a party, and NWN1 didn't let you create one."

Yes, it did. Don't fuckin' lie.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
nomask7 said:
Butthurt much that the best chess player in the history of chess agreed with me on chess?

This is your feeble attempt at crafting a *brilliant* post? Kinda weak.

PS: Fischer didn't agree with you, you used one of his quotes out of context to *prove* your nonsense. There's a difference.

PPS: Fischer also said "I don't calculate, I win anyway." So next thing you tell me is that calculating in Chess is not necessary, Fischer said it after all.

nomask7 said:
PS. anything NWN > anything BG

Fine with me, I don't mind people having different opinions than me.

NWN2 is like BG2 except without what made BG2 great and all of what brought BG2 down magnified times ten. It is an awful game.

MoTB however, sounds pretty awesome aside from the things I couldn't stomach anymore after the horrorshow that was NWN2. Maybe once basic computers can actually run NWN2 well, and I've forgotten the drek that was NWN2, I'll play that and have some fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Matt7895 said:
Volourn said:
" for BG1, it was fucking awful."

No.

Yes.

Running around empty maps hacking up mobs with a god-awful combat system? It was fucking AWFUL.

Isn't that what's called open ended and non-linear game play?
You don't *have* to explore all the "empty" maps, you know.

And sure, the combat system could be better, but it's still infinitely better than NWN non-tactical ass-view.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. NWN had more tatics in it spinky finger than BG did in the netire 1 billion hours of empty space. R00fles!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I love this. NWN had more tactics than BG? You mean the two games that had barely any tactics in them? Yeah, this is a great argument, keep it up you'll get far... paraplegic retard, run faster you might finish this run someday, yessir

racofer

Thread Incliner
Serious_Business said:
I love this. NWN had more tactics than BG? You mean the two games that had barely any tactics in them?

BG tactics = X
NWN tactics = Y

Y/X = 1,0000000000000000000000000000000001

There. His point is valid.

Hory

Erudite
NWN2 MOTB > BG2 > BG2 TOB > NWN2 > NWN HOTU > NWN2 SOZ > NWN SOU > BG TOTSC > NWN > BG

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"NWN1 was just awful because D&D is built around having a party, and NWN1 didn't let you create one."

Yes, it did. Don't fuckin' lie.

...what? Do you actually consider a single PC, a single non-directly controllable NPC, and perhaps a pet or two to be a "D&D party"? NWN1 OC was a more boring, more linear 3D Diablo that happened to let you pause the game, the same way BG1 was a boring, less-linear Diablo that happened to let you pause the game, but with a small controllable party.

What exactly are the redeeming features of the NWN1 OC?

NWN2 OC is to NWN1 OC as BG2 is to BG1. Both are far superior to their predecessors in pretty much every conceivable way.

Fuck, I was...20 or so when I played NWN1...and even back then I knew it was a piece of shit. I went so far as to defend it on the official forums due to buyer's remorse after all the hype...but looking back...man what a piss-poor excuse for an RPG. It boggles my mind that even you could defend that travesty.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You are a fuckin' retard. You fit right in here.

The fact you defended a game based on hype just proves you are a retard, and can't be taken seriously.

Someone so gullible as to allow OTHERS to form their opinions is a tool, and therefore a retard.

Let the big boys who are capable of making their own decisions do the debating. I don't have time for little boys = that's for other Codexian perverts - I try to discss games with people who have their own brains, and use them.

NWN1 is awesome. Just fuckin' deal with it.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
You are a fuckin' retard. You fit right in here.

The fact you defended a game based on hype just proves you are a retard, and can't be taken seriously.

Someone so gullible as to allow OTHERS to form their opinions is a tool, and therefore a retard.

Let the big boys who are capable of making their own decisions do the debating. I don't have time for little boys = that's for other Codexian perverts - I try to discss games with people who have their own brains, and use them.

NWN1 is awesome. Just fuckin' deal with it.

You're right, I was a fucking retard when I was 20 years old. Almost 7 years ago. Almost a third of my life ago. For the record, I didn't defend it because of the hype. I bought the game because of the hype - along with the fact I'd loved BG2 - and I tried desperately to like it, to the point of convincing myself I actually did. The game was so shitty, that particular illusion didn't last very long.

Let me know if you're ever capable of having a serious conversation, though - or even going so far as to respond to any of the points I've made. My guess is that you'd rather just stick to personal attacks - because that's what all the "big boys" like you do, right?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Do a search. I've 'defended' NWN plenty of times. Stop being lazy.

Don't flame someone and then act all shocked they flamed you back. LMAO

Relayer71

Liturgist
BG 2 > BG 1 > NWN2 > NWN1

ALso

BG 2 > NWN2 MoTB > BG 1 > NWN1 HoTU > NWN2 OC > NWN1 SoU > NWN1
(Haven't played SoZ, MoW, or ToB.... and SoTC didn't add a whole lot to BG1)

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
Do a search. I've 'defended' NWN plenty of times. Stop being lazy.

Don't flame someone and then act all shocked they flamed you back. LMAO

Wow, you really don't understand the term "flame", huh? There's only one thing in my initial post that could even remotely quality as a personal attack. As opposed to, you know. Using the word "retard" 3 times in a single post. Like all the "big boys" do, I guess.

Still waiting to hear how NWN1's single PC and single NPC follower qualifies as a "party". Retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom