Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion mage quests (highly intricate stuff)

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Seboss said:
Twinfalls said:
After a while, playing the game will be hopscotch-around-the-map, especially since horses are so fucking useless and annoying.
Well that's exactly what happened most of the time when I used to play Daggerfall.

And should Bethesda therefore not try to improve a shortcoming from a game made 10 years earlier?

This comes up time and time again.

Beth fan: Tell us why Oblivion is not so great

Codex: Well, if you look at Daggerfall, then you'll see x, y, and z key features which have now been trashed, in favour of dumb flash.

Beth fan: BUT DAGGERFALL HAD THIS PROBLEM!! AND THAT ONE!!111

Codex (sighing). Yes. And why couldn't those be improved, instead of being thrown out/dumbed down/flat out made even worse?

Beth fan (gets replaced by new clone from the TES hive)

AND REPEAT!

So first you tell everyone that Daggerfall is a better game than Oblivion will ever be and go off to whine about all of it's problems and dumbing down and simplification, and also that he didn't compare it to Daggerfall. And then you cry when he compares it to Daggerfall and lists a similar problem. "Ha this moron doesn't compare it to daggerfall." Two posts later. "Why are you comparing it to daggerfall!?!?!?!"

Excrément

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
The bad aspects are confirmed facts, the good aspects are developer's promises. Make your own conclusions.

Graphics, skill perks, new combat system, RAI = Confirmed facts

bad role playing, no depth = rpgcodex's promises.

Make your own conclusions.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Excrément said:
Vault Dweller said:
The bad aspects are confirmed facts, the good aspects are developer's promises. Make your own conclusions.

Are you really that stupid or that's role-playing?

Excrément

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Excrément said:
Vault Dweller said:

Are you really that stupid or that's role-playing?

Nice one and only 20 minutes to find it !! You must be a cool clever guy.

Go back to your homeworks, your mum won't be happy.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Excrément said:
Yes, I usually sit here waiting for you to post something, so I can jump right on it. Usually, my reply time is under 1 minute, but your last post has bedazzled the fuck out of me, resulting in a significant delay. :roll:

Excrément

Arbiter
Seboss said:
Excrément said:
you forgot the dungeon beginning and the moving NPCs.
Right. I forgot about that. The Privateers Den (or whatever the dungeon was called) is really something I wish to forget about Daggerfall.

Excrément said:
Oblivion looks like a better daggerfall because it would be less repetitive and more immersive due to better graphics, better gameplay and RAI.
Well, we'll see in a few weeks. I don't give much credit to what I have heard so far , good or bad.

Excrément said:
But he may loose some depth because of the character creation system and the storyline.

That's for sure.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=248882

Concerning story and technical standards Oblivion will be one of the best RPG´s for the last and the next few years

These guys are the first to play two entire days to the game and not only 4 hours, it looks like the background storyline is excellent. I am still sceptic (because of the morrowind background storyline which had no depth to my mind) but now I have some new hope.

A strange looking plant interests us. The mousepointer changes in a bright hand, that indicates, that we can get the plant. A red hand symbol would show us, that getting the item would be thievery. We get the plant and a sidequest is starting: In the diary is now written, that we found a rare plant and we should show it to an expert. We do it later and he tells us, that this plant is an ingredient for a special potion - he will tell us more, if we deliver him 10 more plants of this kind
that's cool!

Excrément

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Excrément said:
Yes, I usually sit here waiting for you to post something, so I can jump right on it. Usually, my reply time is under 1 minute, but your last post has bedazzled the fuck out of me, resulting in a significant delay. :roll:

I am voiceless.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Excrément said:
Concerning story and technical standards Oblivion will be one of the best RPG´s for the last and the next few years
They can make this statement about the story after a few days? And you are eager to believe that?

Excrément

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Excrément said:
They can make this statement about the story after a few days? And you are eager to believe that?

I don't know why but I have the feeling they know more about the storyline than you or me. :roll:

Thrawn05

Scholar
A strange looking plant interests us. The mousepointer changes in a bright hand, that indicates, that we can get the plant. A red hand symbol would show us, that getting the item would be thievery.

Great, more xbox-proof design crap. Whatever happened to "taking a chance"?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Excrément said:
Vault Dweller said:
Excrément said:

I don't know why but I have the feeling they know more about the storyline than you or me. :roll:
You ARE kinda slow, aren't you? Ok, let's try that, how many hours/days did it take you to form an opinion on DF or MW's storyline?

Thrawn05

Scholar
Excrément said:

Considering they seem to feel it's more important to have bling bling graphics and seeing how they implemented idiot proof ideas such as the quest compass and fast travel (to ge to the fun!), I have the feeling that the main plot is really straight forward with little depth so as to keep the short attention span of gamers like you on the game and not get bored and doing something more constructive with your life.

Excrément

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
You ARE kinda slow, aren't you?

why? please explain.

Vault Dweller said:
Ok, let's try that, how many hours/days did it take you to form an opinion on DF or MW's storyline?

Daggerfall : I don't have a clue. (maybe when I was doing some kynareth quests)

Morrowind : "I have to say you something : You are The Nerevarine" (fuck, I didn't figure out before...)

To sum-up my thoughts : the background storyline of Morrowind was the kind of top/down written and the daggerfall storyline let more importance to the characters with more cross-story and betrayals.

P.S : sorry for my English.

Excrément

Arbiter
Thrawn05 said:
Excrément said:

Considering they seem to feel it's more important to have bling bling graphics and seeing how they implemented idiot proof ideas such as the quest compass and fast travel (to ge to the fun!), I have the feeling that the main plot is really straight forward with little depth so as to keep the short attention span of gamers like you on the game and not get bored and doing something more constructive with your life.

I think you are right, that's why I am sceptic but this german preview gives me more hope now.

Zeb

Novice
Thrawn05 said:
A strange looking plant interests us. The mousepointer changes in a bright hand, that indicates, that we can get the plant. A red hand symbol would show us, that getting the item would be thievery.

This is not in defense of Beth or any other developer, but when you throw big money at a game any sort of risk goes out the window. It's fucked up, but that is the corporate mentality we rpg gamers have to suffer under these days. Obviously they can make more return on their investment targeting the dumb 'kiddie' gamers who don't...or can't...think for themselves, at the expense of people who can and do.

bryce777

Erudite
Zeb said:
Thrawn05 said:

This is not in defense of Beth or any other developer, but when you throw big money at a game any sort of risk goes out the window. It's fucked up, but that is the corporate mentality we rpg gamers have to suffer under these days. Obviously they can make more return on their investment targeting the dumb 'kiddie' gamers who don't...or can't...think for themselves, at the expense of people who can and do.

People say this constantly, but it has yet to be proven true.

Seboss

Liturgist
My 2 cents. For the average Joe, RPG is synonym to MMORPG. Solo RPGs are just relic from another time for them. I hear it all the time.
- Hey Seb, waiting for some games for the PC ?"
- Hell yeah, Oblivion and Gothic3 really got my fancy. They seem like decent RPGs, especially G3.
- Oh yeah, well y'know I already got a subscription for WoW, so I couldn't afford more and I'm having a blast with WoW anyway LOL (they really do say LOL in real life)
- Yeah I see, but you see, those games are offline.
- Huh what ? offline ? you mean you play alone ? what's the point ? No instance raids, no guilds, no craft ? How does it even qualify for RPG ?
- Well... nevermind.

Long story short, blame the MMO, that's where the big bucks are and that's what obsesses publishers.

Section8

Cipher
MMO's aren't the root of the problem. Developers who hate their customers but love their money are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom