Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion preview & shitstorm at Wired Blog

obediah

Erudite
GamerAndy said:
I was unable to see any differences whatsoever between the 360 and PC versions, graphical or gameplay - Both have assignable hotkeys even (all 8 directions on the d-pad in the 360)

yikes! That's going to suck for clusterfucks like me with the analog d-pad. I played JE on the 360 and had trouble selecting the different styles some times, and there were only four of them.

Maybe I can setup street fighter combos on it.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
bryce777 said:
Also, there is a very serious thing you are overlooking - no fucking hard drives by default. That means that they are extremely limited in what they can do as far as caching stuff goes etc. etc.e tc. etc.

Why would the developer be "extremely limited"? I have zero experience maintaining a disk cache for a game running off of a DVD, but a decent amount of experience with writing caches in general. It should be easy peasy to have a single disk cache interface. If the game detects a hard drive it fills this interface with a real disk cache, otherwise it's a place holder that voids all inserts and returns a miss for all fetches. This maximises performance for the HD units at the cost of the non-HD units, but I'm sure a more clever solution could serve both versions well.

In one of the interviews they stated load times in a 360 w/ hard drive were much better than a 360 w/o hard drive, and comparable to PC load times.

Because it has to run on those machines, and because there can be no features on the pc not on those machines. I think the problem is pretty obvious....

Mr.Rocco

Novice
dongle said:
Hang on, I'm not getting you at all here Antiphon.

Antiphon said:
dongle said:
I recognize your name as a modder. Don't let the negative and unproductive people get you down. Oblivion is going to be very much worth playing and modding. I hope you come along for the ride.
Let's back up a minute. Go back to VD's post that started this thread. A writer for a -very- respectable tech publication posts a blog entry about his experience playing Oblivion at the press preview tour. Verdict; Kinda cool, a bit choppy, not really next-gen. Hardly news.

Internet retard mayhem breaks out. Just read those comments. Oblivion fans accuse him of; Being unfit for his profession (The author writes books on video games) Not playing for 200 hours (Bethesda only -let- him play a few hours, there are no beta copies being circulated to reviewers) Down to even accusing him of outright lying about the fact that he played the game at all, and fabricating the whole post just to "get back" at Bethesda (The author never played a TES game in his life)

These are the people getting me down.

I'm supposed to spend hours and hours of my free time creating content and supporting it for this current crop of "fans"? The official forums used to have a decent enough signal to noise ratio that I could hang out there. Now I can't even read the list of threads without wincing. And I'm supposed to wade in there hip-deep and sing the holy praises, why exactly again?

Antiphon said:
Kamaz said:
What have you produced that has improved the quality of my life in any way at all?
Fucking high and mighty attitude of you to require that of a forum poster.

Maybe not you specifically, but I spent plenty of time and effort adding to and promoting Morrowind. Google "morrowind" and my site comes up as the third individual's website result. This is after being defunct for over a year. Will you deign to read my comments?

Antiphon said:
Is it too much effort for you to realize you have a way to change market demand? Of course it's much easier to just bitch and moan without actually doing anything constructive and this does not change market demand in any way noticeable.
Bethesda isn't marketing to me, anyway. The amount of support announced for modders has been virtually nil. We've even seen increasing hostility and arrogance towards modders. They're quick to brag about us, and assume we'll be there as enthusiastic as ever, but do nothing to help. This is most likely down to them opening a branch to sell mods themselves. Their VP of marketing personally blew me off when I voiced some modder related concerns.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about being left out of their marketing focus. I understand I don't represent a profitable demographic for them, and it's fine that they want to focus elsewhere.

Fact is tho, they are not designing a game that'll appeal to me all that much. Yet you say it's only right and proper that I should come over to the warm and creamy side of the force and spend my time improving all it's faults. If I don't I'm worthless. Why is that exactly?

And furthermore, why should I pony up $60 for this privilege?

Antiphon said:
It would be wise, I believe, to recognize that confrontational negative and pessimistic posts are counterproductive and are obviously and shallowly self-serving.
See, now you're totally losing me.

You come in here, call everyone's opinions worthless unless they exhibit a "positive proactive attitude" to you, and generally come over all haughty to anyone who dares post a critical opinion of your baby? If that's not "confrontational, negative, and self serving" what is?

I've got news for you. I've learned more about game design in a couple months here than I have in years on the TES forums. Folks speak their mind here, and some of the most well considered arguments I've ever read on the 'net are the result. I'm intimidated to jump in half the time, the discussion is so complex. This is far, far, more productive than demanding universal praise for a game "just 'cuz, and if you don't you're a big meanie". That will never get you anywhere here.

Antiphon said:
Hang on, it will get better.
So, we should all give Bethesda undying support, regardless of any misgivings, because TES:V, or TES:VI, just might be everything we could want?

Right. Have fun with that. . . .

P0wNeD!

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
obediah said:
bryce777 said:
Also, there is a very serious thing you are overlooking - no fucking hard drives by default. That means that they are extremely limited in what they can do as far as caching stuff goes etc. etc.e tc. etc.

Why would the developer be "extremely limited"? I have zero experience maintaining a disk cache for a game running off of a DVD, but a decent amount of experience with writing caches in general. It should be easy peasy to have a single disk cache interface. If the game detects a hard drive it fills this interface with a real disk cache, otherwise it's a place holder that voids all inserts and returns a miss for all fetches. This maximises performance for the HD units at the cost of the non-HD units, but I'm sure a more clever solution could serve both versions well.

In one of the interviews they stated load times in a 360 w/ hard drive were much better than a 360 w/o hard drive, and comparable to PC load times.

Because it has to run on those machines, and because there can be no features on the pc not on those machines. I think the problem is pretty obvious....

I think you are assuming your etc. etc. etc. etc. and ..... conveys a lot more information than they do. All you've explicitely said is that they can't cache on the no-HD 360, and the PC can't have any features the no-HD 360 doesn't have - which I guess means they can't do HD caching on the PC. This is false, and they are even doing HD caching on the HD 360.

I don't mean to defend the 360, I think it's butt raping this game all to hell. I just thought maybe you had some specific information on how not having a HD was mucking it up.

dongle

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Well, my eager-to-blow-a-developer friend, if you were familiar with the ancient art of reading (I know, it's hard without voiceovers), you'd notice that MSFD's argument is very fucking stupid. Why?

1) The reviewer did NOT write the game off
2) The reviewer complained mostly about loading time and slow downs - the area where a few hours can paint an accurate picture of a game's state.
What's more Bethesda intentionally created the situation MSFD blames the previewer for.

MSFD chides Chris for only playing 2 1/2 hours of a 200+ hour game, then posting an opinion. Bethesda has only -let- journalists play Oblivion for a short time, under controlled conditions. Over the last few months a select few have played betas in Bethesda's headquarters. Last week they went out on a media tour allowing journalists to play a near-final build for a few hours on Bethesda boxes. According to GamerAndy this is against the industry norm. Usually beta versions get mailed out to reviewers to play at their leisure, so full-fledged reviews can appear in long-lead magazines when the game hits the shelves. Bethesda apparently never does this. None of the Oblivion reviews you read until the game ships will be based on more than a couple hours play.

Seems kinda trite for MSFD to blame a poor preview on his company's own policies.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Then there's the issue of draw-in. You may have heard about the Wired blogger who trashed Oblivion because he saw some items pop into view. We were vaguely aware of some detail draw-in--you could see grass fade into view as you moved, and sometimes trees and buildings popped up out of nowhere. But all this controversy is overblown: the draw-in is minor and totally forgivable. And it's an unfortunate but worthy tradeoff when you consider the game's brilliant graphics. We're still following up on rumors that the pop-up is worse if your Xbox 360 isn't equipped with a hard drive--more to come on that front, but for now, Bethesda's not talking.
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox36 ... 2279.shtml

This one is funny "
Goofy physics. We noticed occasional problems with the in-game physics. NPCs would sometimes walk into something and send it shooting around the room--we watched a ham bounce and fly around a room like a Super Ball. We also encountered problems with getting stuck on scenery from time to time, though determined wiggling was usually enough to dislodge our character.
Beware the killer ham!!!

On a more positive note:
The characters. Legitimate thespian Patrick Stewart shines brightly in the his role as the Emperor, but it was the townsfolk who really grabbed our hearts. The people of Bruma, the first town in the game, seemed like good people, not just cardboard cutouts trudging through computer space. We didn't just listen to their plights, we sympathized; we actually wanted to help the innkeeper track down her missing husband, because we believed her grief and wanted to help. When's the last time you felt that way in a game? Superior voice acting and realistic facial animations (characters scowl, plead, and hem and haw) combine to give the NPCs moving performances.

pixelmonkie

Novice
meh - Oblivion burnt my intrest to ashes when I spoted some of the "artwork" for the game - they got their bump values all over the place & it looked like shit.

when someone is able to let that slip to the press as a magcover the heaven should be falling and the world should be at its damn end, but it isn't, but oblivion is probably named after the void that should be fucking thoughts.

I'd have a fucking laugh about it if they dry period of good PC games wasn't so irritating to begin with - oh well with some luck the 360 version will suck even more.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
bryce777 said:
obediah said:
bryce777 said:

I think you are assuming your etc. etc. etc. etc. and ..... conveys a lot more information than they do. All you've explicitely said is that they can't cache on the no-HD 360, and the PC can't have any features the no-HD 360 doesn't have - which I guess means they can't do HD caching on the PC. This is false, and they are even doing HD caching on the HD 360.

I don't mean to defend the 360, I think it's butt raping this game all to hell. I just thought maybe you had some specific information on how not having a HD was mucking it up.

1. The baseline xbox 360 is a shitty lobotomized pc.

2. To run on this crappy machine, they will have to optimize it for its hardware.

3. Due to the nature of the contract, the PC game is not allowed to have features not on the xbox version.

So, since the PC version must be the same as the xbox version, and the xbox version much be able to run on a crappy machine that does not even have an HDD and doesn't have the specs microsoft originally promised, the PC version is going to have to be scaled back from what otherwise would have been done...for example the removal of dynamic shadows in the pc version due to the xbox version being unable to handle it. The PC will also suffer from the same LOD problems mentioned here because of that fact.

franc kaos

Liturgist
micmu said:
So no more fall through the floor bug? Bounce around the room bug, yay!
My favourite bit:
We also encountered problems with getting stuck on scenery from time to time, though determined wiggling was usually enough to dislodge our character.
See? they are catering to us Daggerfall lovers - oh ye of little faith... I'm hoping jumping into the void is back (it'll feel like levitating).

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
obediah said:
bryce777 said:

2. To run on this crappy machine, they will have to optimize it for its hardware.

3. Due to the nature of the contract, the PC game is not allowed to have features not on the xbox version.

So, no, you don't have any specific reason to believe the core system not having a HD will affect the game on the other 2 platforms. I thought you had a programming background, so I figured you might have some actual reason other than the generic bitter PC gamer crap. My apologies for interrupting your curmudgeonery.

Oarfish

Prophet
Perhaps our biggest compliment about Oblivion is the fact that it doesn't feel much like an RPG

Which they then proceed to turn into a good thing. Bastards.

Still, I'm buying it. I'm so part of the problem.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
bryce777 said:
obediah said:
bryce777 said:

So, no, you don't have any specific reason to believe the core system not having a HD will affect the game on the other 2 platforms. I thought you had a programming background, so I figured you might have some actual reason other than the generic bitter PC gamer crap. My apologies for interrupting your curmudgeonery.

Goddamn, you are a fucking idiot, aren't you?

I would think the fact that he bethesda devs begged for a hard disk would be enough.

Or the obvious fact that you cannot page fault when there is no fucking hard disk.

Are you really this fucking stupid?

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Goddamn, you are a fucking idiot, aren't you?

Maybe, but I'm not the one that considers the hard drive to be the brains of the PC (r.e. the core system being a lobotomized PC).

I would think the fact that he bethesda devs begged for a hard disk would be enough.

That isn't evidence that not having a HD on the core 360 affects either other version. Which is what you asserted and backed up with one unsubstantiated and refuted piece of evidence and a bunch of etc's and ...'s. If the devs gave some examples of how not having the other versions, I'd be interested in hearing about them. I don't even doubt they exist, you just haven't given any.

Or the obvious fact that you cannot page fault when there is no fucking hard disk.

How does this affect the other versions? I could buy Oblivion for my PC and turn off virtual memory and play it, and it wouldn't magically make the copy on your machine run more slowly.

Are you really this fucking stupid?

If your bastioning rational thought and intellect in this thread, then yes I'm gladly this fucking stupid.

dagamer667

Liturgist
The only part that really bothers me is the compaint about performance. Game Presstitutes tend to ignore performance issues - unless it's <20fps on a top of the line box. Seeing how xbox can dance in circles around the vast majority of PCs, it doesn't sound good for us PC gamers.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
This one is funny "
Goofy physics. We noticed occasional problems with the in-game physics. NPCs would sometimes walk into something and send it shooting around the room--we watched a ham bounce and fly around a room like a Super Ball. We also encountered problems with getting stuck on scenery from time to time, though determined wiggling was usually enough to dislodge our character.
Beware the killer ham!!!
Methinks that's why they've eliminated the damage from objects.

obediah

Erudite
dagamer667 said:
The only part that really bothers me is the compaint about performance. Game Presstitutes tend to ignore performance issues - unless it's <20fps on a top of the line box. Seeing how xbox can dance in circles around the vast majority of PCs, it doesn't sound good for us PC gamers.

That doesn't really bother me. Morrowind was a dog upon release as well. Making some difficult decisions on gaming experience got it running. Of course with Morrowind, I was so amazed that it pretty much worked (vs Daggerfall), that some slowdown wasn't a big deal. The big issue on performance is how much headroom does it have?

Or perhaps how thorougly has Bethesda slobbed Billy Boy's knob is a better way to put it. Will the PC experience forever be hobbled at or near the 360 experience, as interviews have suggested, or will there be an .ini file with fun settings like 'Full Detail Draw Distance', and 'Full RAI Distance' that will let Oblivion open it up on fancy PC's of 2008.

Antiphon

Scholar
dongle said:
Hang on, I'm not getting you at all here Antiphon.

Antiphon said:
dongle said:
I recognize your name as a modder. Don't let the negative and unproductive people get you down. Oblivion is going to be very much worth playing and modding. I hope you come along for the ride.
Let's back up a minute. Go back to VD's post that started this thread. A writer for a -very- respectable tech publication posts a blog entry about his experience playing Oblivion at the press preview tour. Verdict; Kinda cool, a bit choppy, not really next-gen. Hardly news.

Internet retard mayhem breaks out. Just read those comments. Oblivion fans accuse him of; Being unfit for his profession (The author writes books on video games) Not playing for 200 hours (Bethesda only -let- him play a few hours, there are no beta copies being circulated to reviewers) Down to even accusing him of outright lying about the fact that he played the game at all, and fabricating the whole post just to "get back" at Bethesda (The author never played a TES game in his life)

These are the people getting me down.

I'm supposed to spend hours and hours of my free time creating content and supporting it for this current crop of "fans"? The official forums used to have a decent enough signal to noise ratio that I could hang out there. Now I can't even read the list of threads without wincing. And I'm supposed to wade in there hip-deep and sing the holy praises, why exactly again?

For my part, I did not participate in that thread at ESF. People are entitled to their opinion as far as I'm concerned. Generally it's a good idea to preface an opinion with "I believe" or "I think" or something similar to signal it's an opinion. I try hard to remember to do so, but I forgot to when I said "Oblivion is going to be very much worth playing and modding." That was merely my opinion based on what I've read and how I perceived the value of Morrowind. It is fair play to challenge someone when they state an opinion as fact.

The kids at ESF clearly go overboard. I would suggest they need guidance, but there is so many of them it looks hopeless. It is a sad fact that for many kids the console is their babysitter and the Internet their emotional release. Ok, I see evidence that is a fact.

Your continued participation in modding and helping at the ESF would be most helpful in their guidance. You are certainly under no obligation to do so. I thank you for what you have done already.

dongle said:
Antiphon said:
Kamaz said:
What have you produced that has improved the quality of my life in any way at all?
Fucking high and mighty attitude of you to require that of a forum poster.

Based on my respect for you as a modder and a productive member of the community, I've reexamined my response and seen I've been entirely unfair to Kamaz. If I had been here longer I would have known he is a productive member here. As it was, I thought I saw behavior similar to the ESF kids in his post. I fired off a reply without any kind of check of his past posts. I should know better than that.

Kamaz, I hope you can except my apology for hastily assuming you are not a valuable member of this community.

As a self professed promoter of positive change, I would be remiss if I did recognize that change sometimes requires a long look in the mirror.

When I saw Kamaz's post, I focused on seizing an opportunity to make a point and not enough on whether it was an appropriate time to do so. There is also a bad habit I have of trying to condense a complex point down to a one liner.

The main point was that economic theory suggests we can look at all human interaction as being based on the profit motive. This does not always mean money. We can look at forum participation as a way to earn a "profit" of information or knowledge. Even altruistic behaviors can be considered as earning the "profit" of feeling good about oneself.

A fair trade is one in which both parties feel they have profited by the exchange. When I buy a game, I'm expecting the game to be worth more to me than the dollars I spent.

Then there is the expectation of profit based on a previous exchange. I believe the TES fanboy kids are expecting to profit considerably in their purchase of Oblivion, but they are unable to separate the emotion of the excitement of the expected profit from any logical reason to expect it and all too often, out pours BS in defense of, primarily, what they feel.

For my part, I will weigh what I hear from reviewers against or with what I hear from and expect from Bethesda. What I expect from Bethesda is very high indeed, but the balance has been tipped a bit by the review in discussion of this thread.

(Please note my attempt to steer this back on topic :) )

dongle said:
Maybe not you specifically, but I spent plenty of time and effort adding to and promoting Morrowind. Google "morrowind" and my site comes up as the third individual's website result. This is after being defunct for over a year. Will you deign to read my comments?

Antiphon said:
Is it too much effort for you to realize you have a way to change market demand? Of course it's much easier to just bitch and moan without actually doing anything constructive and this does not change market demand in any way noticeable.

dongle said:
Bethesda isn't marketing to me, anyway. The amount of support announced for modders has been virtually nil. We've even seen increasing hostility and arrogance towards modders. They're quick to brag about us, and assume we'll be there as enthusiastic as ever, but do nothing to help. This is most likely down to them opening a branch to sell mods themselves. Their VP of marketing personally blew me off when I voiced some modder related concerns.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about being left out of their marketing focus. I understand I don't represent a profitable demographic for them, and it's fine that they want to focus elsewhere.

Fact is tho, they are not designing a game that'll appeal to me all that much. Yet you say it's only right and proper that I should come over to the warm and creamy side of the force and spend my time improving all it's faults. If I don't I'm worthless. Why is that exactly?

And furthermore, why should I pony up $60 for this privilege?

I was unaware of many of your concerns and they are duly noted.

Well this is going to take some explaining.

It looks to me you have four choices if you want Codex influenced games:

1) Make your own game. Probably the hardest, but potentially most rewarding.

2) Assuming Bethesda is the 800lb gorilla in the "close to RPG" game business, learn to work within the limits of the system and with the available tools to make mods that may affect future games. It seems obvious to me they have incorporated many Morrowind mods into Oblivion.

You have produced quite a lot already and I'll bet they are using something of yours. Maybe you inspired actual combat in the arena? I'll bet there is something in Oblivion like glass cases and/or doors, functional lighthouses and/or windmills or any number of things from the many mods or resources you've made.

Making great mods can result in being hired by Bethesda which has apparently happened with 2 or 3 Morrowind modders. Change from within becomes possible. I'm curious if they have at least asked you to send in a resume. If you have applied and have sufficient education and were not hired, this would be pretty damning of Bethesda. You have been one of the most prolific modders and most helpful and positive at the ES forums as far back as I can search.

If you choose this route I don't think it would be as hard as making your own game, but at times may be much harder to swallow. One has to understand the corporate mindset.

Monetary gain is very important in the corporate world. Businesses must make monetary profit to survive. However, management often seeks and expects other types of personal profit. I've seen meetings where it was more important for egos to battle than to actually seek creative solutions to problems.

Too often top management views a business as their own personal vehicle for fame, glory and success. They have the power to hire or fire personnel based on how effective they may be toward their personal goals and then make it appear a wise choice for the benefit of the company.

Unless you are absolutely irreplaceable to a company, you will seek to please the boss and make him/her look good or be out on the street. Human Resources will not hire anyone who they have any evidence of that might not, first of all, please the boss, and secondly, be anything other than 100% positive about the company.

My experience is in manufacturing and I have no idea how things work at Bethesda. If it's anything like what I've seen, I can only imagine the crap the devs have had to eat and somehow keep smiles on their faces while trying to avoid Prozac. MSFD and the other devs that posted here may very well be champions of Codex values in RPGs, but simply have to survive to fight another day.

My experiences in businesses that were struggling to keep market share may have jaded me, but there is another possibility. Almost all business must innovate or the competition will. A truly innovative company will adopt management philosophies that encourage creativity.

Top management must subdue their own egos to encourage the free exchange of ideas. True team problem solving is encouraged, instead of battling egos, and is supposed to be fun and rewarding. Benefit packages are designed with the belief it's far better to keep a good employee than to train a new one. There is more that I've learned about, but have never had the chance to experience.

If you think Bethesda is an innovative company, whether you believe in the innovation or not, it could very well be an indication they are a great company to work for. One would still need a positive attitude to be an attractive candidate however.

3) Oh yea, almost forget, there is a third choice. Criticize and complain to the game companies. Try to get as many people as you can to join you. Enough of the customers complaining can get companies to change. I suppose the Codex has some power with reviews and such, positive or negative. I have no idea how much.

In the case of Oblivion, the game is done, nothing more can be changed at this point. There doesn't seem to be enough unhappy people to make a difference anyway. I'm sure they are quite aware they can't please all of the people all of the time.

I don't particularly care for this choice when it's done in a hateful manner. Companies should be open to constructive criticism however.

4) Do nothing. Learn to accept and appreciate what you do have and learn not to worry or care about what you don't have and can not change. This is more of a survival strategy. I can do this very well because I had to. Apathy is a viable life style choice. :)

There may be more choices, but I think these are the main ones.

dongle said:
Antiphon said:
It would be wise, I believe, to recognize that confrontational negative and pessimistic posts are counterproductive and are obviously and shallowly self-serving.
See, now you're totally losing me.

You come in here, call everyone's opinions worthless unless they exhibit a "positive proactive attitude" to you, and generally come over all haughty to anyone who dares post a critical opinion of your baby? If that's not "confrontational, negative, and self serving" what is?

To me? I don't think I've said that, but rather it's more productive to have a positive attitude in general.

dongle said:
I've got news for you. I've learned more about game design in a couple months here than I have in years on the TES forums. Folks speak their mind here, and some of the most well considered arguments I've ever read on the 'net are the result. I'm intimidated to jump in half the time, the discussion is so complex. This is far, far, more productive than demanding universal praise for a game "just 'cuz, and if you don't you're a big meanie". That will never get you anywhere here.

Antiphon said:
Hang on, it will get better.
So, we should all give Bethesda undying support, regardless of any misgivings, because TES:V, or TES:VI, just might be everything we could want?

Right. Have fun with that. . . .
I have also said I've learned a lot here. I'm all for speaking ones mind within reason. There is a point were the writer loses credibility if writing for a particular goal.

Is there a goal of the Codex beyond reviews and discussion?

You can be as negative as you want. Negativism cost me a lot.

You can point out all your misgivings about Bethesda and I'll weigh them against my expected value of Oblivion. I hope your not offended if I buy it.

You can be as pessimistic as you want. Pessimism cost me a lot.

You have freedom. You have choices. The wonderful thing about freedom is when free people choose to do great things. I'd choose to help steer gaming the way I think is best if I have that opportunity. If I don't, I'd choose not to worry about it at all.

Antiphon

Scholar
kris said:
Antiphon said:
1. If you don't think Morrowind was a good entertainment value then you definitly should not rush out and buy Oblivion, at least without waiting for convincing reviews.

2. I applaude your ability to separate hyperbole from fact. That skill will serve you well.

3. I do listen to people here and have learned a lot. I tend to learn less, if anything, when a post is filled with angst, pessimism and anger.

4. Oblivion is the first game I've ever considered ordering before it's even released. I'd really like to be part of the first wave of people exploring the world and discovering all the interesting things in the game. Then I want to start learning to mod it as soon as possible.

5. I realize and accept that you don't feel the same as I do about it. It's perfectly normal for people to like different things and have different goals. As I've said in other posts, I'm most interested in the techno/graphics because I'm a computer hobbyist.

6. But I also see that it will probably need some serious modding for people here at the Codex to really enjoy it. Modding also offers the opportunity to make changes in the next TES game which I think was proved by how many Morrowind mods conceptually made it into Oblivion.

1. No doubt. But I am not likely to do it, the persuasion mini-game in some way could describe what I don't like.

2. ha! Seems I should just have made fun of you instead ;)

3. No doubt again. Soem posters are always like this, but some may just be tired of hearing the same stuff for the 10342th time. Learning is good though

4. I can't blame someone else from having a different taste than me. when it comes to ES games, I like the groundconcept of free-roaming world, its just that they don't seem to get the essentials (for me) right. That is putting personality in the NPCS/world and having engaging quests that makes me think and perferably have some choice.

5. In no game have I really cared about the graphics, if anything I find art direction superior to technical awesomeness. We disagree of course, I would hope though that someone would cater more to my interest...

6. Something that have to be modded in is often a failure on the part of the developer. That doesn't mean that it isn't good that they open up for modding. I would say though that your point here do go a bit in contrary with you ordering the game in advance...

1) I'm a bit worried about the persuasion mini game as well. I fear not being able to move fast enough to avoid angering a guard and getting my butt kicked. :o

2) I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. :lol:

3) Yes.

4) 5) I'm optimistic that someday we'll have it all. I've tried pessimism, it didn't work for me.

6) I learned to be happy with what I do have. I'm not really the typical Codexer. You appear entirely reasonable. A pleasure to meet you. :)

Antiphon

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Antiphon said:
Don't let the negative and unproductive people get you down.
It's Bethesda's design that got them down, not some negative people here.
Sure, some of them are down because of the design. I don't think you can say there aren't some down because of the emotional influence of others. I believe I've seen negativism spread in real life where there wasn't a solid basis in fact. We could probably test this at ESF.

Antiphon said:
Oblivion is going to be very much worth playing and modding.
Vault Dweller said:
Is that a fact, Nostradamus?

I replied to a previous post I meant to preface that with "I believe" or something similar.

Antiphon said:
Kamaz said:
Yeah, I really like such arguments. First, if you criticize the game, they say:

"the game is not released yet! let's judge it when its released!"

then, when its fucking relased and you say it sucks, they say:

MSFD said:
Yeah, he gave a 200+ hour game about 2.5 hours and wrote it off. You be the judge.

Come on!
Try this argument:

Vault Dweller said:
I gotta be honest with you, it's the most retarded argument I've ever heard of, because it's subjective as fuck. Who cares what you like? This is not a "wat is ur favarit gaem?" thread.

I have apologized to Kamaz, but I do believe the economic way of looking at things is valid.

Antiphon said:
MSFD help produce Morrowind which provided me an outstanding value in entertainment thus improving the quality of my life.

Why on earth should I consider anything you say as any where near as important as something MSFD says?

Vault Dweller said:
Well, my eager-to-blow-a-developer friend, if you were familiar with the ancient art of reading (I know, it's hard without voiceovers), you'd notice that MSFD's argument is very fucking stupid. Why?

Well, my eager-to-butt-rape-a-developer friend, if you were familiar with what it sometimes takes to survive in the corporate world, you'd be aware of the possibility that MSFD just may be fighting for you and the Codex values. I suspect, though, he believes in innovation to survive. (Responding in kind seems fair)

Vault Dweller said:
1) The reviewer did NOT write the game off
2) The reviewer complained mostly about loading time and slow downs - the area where a few hours can paint an accurate picture of a game's state.

I thought that you would understand at least that much, considering your techno fetish, but I guess I overestimated your logical abilities.

I've weighed what the reviewer said against my expected value of Oblivion based on my experience with Morrowind. It tipped the scales a bit, but probably won't stop me from buying it.

Antiphon said:

Vault Dweller said:
Instead of doing what?

This was a reply to someone else. You are productive by running this site. You don't need to do anything else. Yyou do enough. I just think people should know there are other choices than just critizing or praising. It would be nice to know if the Codex supports other choices.

Antiphon said:
The disappearance of the Bethesda devs from this forum can serve as evidence of this.

Vault Dweller said:
Considering that Beth developers have been here for a year, and our winning attitude didn't change, and also considering the ban on all Codex links, the disappearance can serve as evidence of a new and exciting Bethesda policy, aimed to protect the blissfully happy fans from... no, not from bad people, but from facts.

I sense this is a painful subject for you. I won't rub any more salt in your wound.

Antiphon said:
What I try to do here is to promote the idea the "RGP Goodness" can be preserved and expanded on by working within the system and limits with the tools available and by adopting a positive proactive attitude.

Vault Dweller said:
What a lovely load of crap.

If that is your attitude then the effect will be to eliminate choices, at least here.

Antiphon said:
I think the devs are just fascinated by what they can do with the new techno/graphic toys.

Vault Dweller said:
Like dynamic shadows? Those were awesome until Beth removed them.

Sure. They tried, it didn't work for both PC and console. Can't have one group of users mad that the other got more. I'm glad they tried for too much than not enough.

Antiphon said:
I'll pretty much be happy with a pretty 3D world I can run around in and play with RAI and Havok. If there happens to be a game included, so much the better.

Vault Dweller said:
I'm going to give a benefit of the doubt and instead of calling you a fucking moron, which was my first guess, assume that you are a person who doesn't give a flying fuck about that "RPG Goodness" you were talking about.

Wow, I got the big red font treatment. I feel so special. :)

I guess it's hard for you to accept other people can have different values? Anyway, I kind of exaggerated how unimportant the gaming aspects are to emphasize how important the hardware-stressing-techno-graphic-thanks-for-the-excuse-to-upgrade aspects are to me. It's a hardware geek thing. We are allowed some artistic licence with our rhetorical strategies here aren't we?

I do expect there to be a reasonably fun game to play. I will be happier if there are more of the deeper RPG elements included that I've learned about here. If not, I will simply not worry about it or possibly start modding to change it.

Antiphon said:
I would also like to suggest I'm only here because of Morrowind. Bethesda just may be doing something right by getting the attention of people like me and introducing them to "RGP Goodness."

Vault Dweller said:
Even if Bethesda is doing something right, you are a very poor example of that.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom