Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian bashing thread

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If you walk like a popamole, and quack like a popamole, you are a popamole. Right, sir Tim Cain, who has billion hours in Skyrm? Right, Master Avellone, who loves balance, mini-games and can’t play Arcanum properly? They are the poor cousin of Bethesda and Bioware who didn’t had the money to make a popamole triple-A. They made two games that we can appreciate with 12 years of existence, but are getting decadent over the years. The truth is that most of the Obsidian developers were never the gamers that we are, and we believe in them because we were grasping at straws of hope. Even now Sawyer is the only receiving the heat for doing things that Tim Cain, Avellone and the others also do, such are the wonders of fanboysm. The industry is now decadent not because of the big evil publishers, but because the developers themselves are decadent and rotten inside. They are getting old, lazy and have other priorities, like SJW propaganda. From making the Fallout engine in his spare time to be a SJW apologist when talking about games. No wonder they have nothing good to offer.

Xeon

Augur
I think Avellone said he hates mini games but feel they are necessary or something. He doesn't like them. I kinda like Tim Cain's comments about diversity, his version is kinda different than Josh's, at least from all the quotes.

vgjfBTO.png
Fixed.

Lhynn

Arcane
I think Avellone said he hates mini games but feel they are necessary or something. He doesn't like them. I kinda like Tim Cain's comments about diversity, his version is kinda different than Josh's, at least from all the quotes.
Strange coming from Avellone considering the minigames in AP were alright.

Your insecurity and boy crush on Sawyer is related to bashing video game company how exactly? Bros, these are exactly the situations where codex gets really pathetic...
Uh?

Roguey i am growing to really dislike annie mitsoda.

likaq

Arcane
Ex-Obsidian, current-DoubleBear
lot of retarded shit from Patrick K Mills

where he wrote that? obsidian forum?

AP's hacking minigame was the worst. The worst.

nope
AP's hacking minigame can be skipped with EMP charges, fallout 3 minigame can not.
this alone makes ap hacking minigame not the worst.
fal 3 minigame was the worst

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
where he wrote that? obsidian forum?

Something Awful. I also agree with him. :)

nope
AP's hacking minigame can be skipped with EMP charges, fallout 3 minigame can not.
this alone makes ap hacking minigame not the worst.
fal 3 minigame was the worst

Fallout 3's hacking minigame is relaxing. The worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't scale well over time since it does take a while. AP's is headache-inducing. That it can be skipped doesn't make the minigame itself better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For the first few times.

Then it becomes a snoozefest whole AP is.
The difficulty of the minigames scales with your level, and the ones off the crit-path are intentionally more difficult than anything mandatory, so I disagree.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This made me facepalm.

I have seen a game's writing and character scope improve by adding someone with an academic background in humanities and arts. I have seen a game's level design improve because one of the artists was an avid hiker who knew the importance of having clear visual landmarks.

Those are credentials, Tim. Being a transsexual vegetarian is not a credential.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The difficulty of the minigames scales with your level
Yet any homo from relatively modern species(erectus and newer) can break through them without any issues no matter what, at worst after some accommodation(and only for hacking because it's the only really non-standard fare shit here). I have no idea why were people ever complaining about the minigames in that game, they're shit like any other minigames, now - the whole rest of the game stinks and minigames being good or bad don't influence that at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing about Obsidian is that they got hyped up as "THE BEST STORYTELLERS IN THE INDUSTRY", when really, outside of Chris Avellone's (increasingly rare) signature characterization style, the main distinguishing feature of Obsidian's writing has always been 1) a relatively greater focus on C&C 2) writing that's aimed at an audience that's maybe five years older than the BioWare audience. C&C and maturity are both good things, but they're not synonymous with "BEST STORYTELLING".

Fallout 3's hacking minigame is relaxing. The worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't scale well over time since it does take a while. AP's is headache-inducing. That it can be skipped doesn't make the minigame itself better.

Funny thing to me about FO3/NV hacking is that the easier terminals are in some ways harder to solve.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yet any homo from relatively modern species(erectus and newer) can break through them without any issues no matter what, at worst after some accommodation(and only for hacking because it's the only really non-standard fare shit here). I have no idea why were people ever complaining about the minigames in that game, they're shit like any other minigames, now - the whole rest of the game stinks and minigames being good or bad don't influence that at all.

I recall optional ones in the final level that I could not do with builds that didn't have breaking and entering (master). I also definitely noticed a gulf throughout the game with a character that had one point in sabotage and one with two (for breaking and entering [basic]).

Anyway, it's not that it's ~difficult~, it's that constantly flashing numbers are headache-inducing and the minigame was designed for thumbsticks, so having to navigate with a mouse and keyboard is frustrating. Meanwhile, the other two thumbstick-designed minigames are completely broken in your favor with the use of a mouse.

a relatively greater focus on C&C

They've been sliding back on that post-New Vegas. Dungeon Siege III, South Park, and Pillars of Eternity are enough to make it a trend. Those MMOs and that card game definitely won't have it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've been sliding back on that post-New Vegas. Dungeon Siege III, South Park, and Pillars of Eternity are enough to make it a trend. Those MMOs and that card game definitely won't have it.

Notice I said "relatively". Hence PoE need only have more C&C than the IE games, which it does. I believe they will always attempt to keep their qualitative advantage in this area, however small.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Notice I said "relatively". Hence PoE need only have more C&C than the IE games, which it does. I believe they will always attempt to keep their qualitative advantage in this area, however small.

True as far as the IE games go, but in the present there's not much difference C&C-wise between Dragon Age II and South Park (in fact, I'd say that DAII has noticeably more narrative/cosmetic reactivity). When I've played both I'll be able to make an assessment about Inquisition versus Pillars.

eremita

Savant
When I've played both I'll be able to make an assessment about Inquisition versus Pillars.
You're gonna try different world states in Inquisition? To be honest, I don't really know why they spend so much energy on this shit. It's kind of pointless anyway. Well, at least it's original/unique.

I've been told they were going for Witcher 2-like decision (Roche vs Ioverth) with Templars and Mages, which already outshines PoE as far as I can tell... I'm quite disappointed with the amount of CC in PoE so far.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
True as far as the IE games go, but in the present there's not much difference C&C-wise between Dragon Age II and South Park (in fact, I'd say that DAII has noticeably more narrative/cosmetic reactivity). When I've played both I'll be able to make an assessment about Inquisition versus Pillars.

Reactivity is not a quality in and of itself, bro. The best reactivity is subtle, Bioware does theirs with a chainsaw and a hammer. That's the difference.

eremita

Savant
Reactivity is not a quality in and of itself, bro. The best reactivity is subtle, Bioware does theirs with a chainsaw and a hammer. That's the difference.
The best reactivity is the one that really makes a difference. That is the only objective "lead" we can use when juding quality of CC. Subtlety is a matter of preference and therefore shouldn't be included in evaluation. (In detail: quality aka the best reactivity is a matter of execution of a specific concept, while subtetly, just as being obvious, is a matter of concept itself.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom