Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian bashing thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The best reactivity is the one that really makes a difference. That is the only objective "lead" we can use when juding quality of CC. )

"Really making a difference" is not an objective term by any measure.

"Subtle" is right.

If you want to see what sort of C&C PoE has, read this page: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kolsc

Yeah. Same with WL2 which tracks and reacts to some of the most tiniest details I have ever seen. To the point where a lot of people don't even notice its there.

Lhynn

Arcane
AP's hacking minigame was the worst. The worst.
The one where you had to pick the sequence that matches? it was easy even at the highest difficulty and made me feel like i was in the matrix, i loved it.

eremita

Savant
"Really making a difference" is not an objective term by any measure.
It is when analyzing sheer amount of altered situations. Are you asking how are we gonna decide when comparing different kind of CC - like altered dialogue vs altered walkthrough? We can always go back to "code" (scripting), different locations, cutscenes etc. It is a matter of convention of course, but it's still objective...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The one where you had to pick the sequence that matches? it was easy even at the highest difficulty and made me feel like i was in the matrix, i loved it.
Anyway, it's not that it's ~difficult~, it's that constantly flashing numbers are headache-inducing and the minigame was designed for thumbsticks, so having to navigate with a mouse and keyboard is frustrating.

The headache I got playing that minigame was real.

I'm suspicious of your claim that it was easy at the highest difficulty. Perhaps with points into sabotage. I recall multiple goons rageposting about how the minigames on hard are bullshit and one should definitely play on normal or lower. Though I guess they were very likely using controllers.

Lhynn

Arcane
The headache I got playing that minigame was real.

I'm suspicious of your claim that it was easy at the highest difficulty. Perhaps with points into sabotage. I recall multiple goons rageposting about how the minigames on hard are bullshit and one should definitely play on normal or lower. Though I guess they were very likely using controllers.
The matrix minigame was super easy, even at its highest difficulty, or at least to me it was. The lock mingame was shit for the most part, extremely sensitive controls were a problem there. The electronic lock one was inbetween, very hard but doable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The matrix minigame was super easy, even at its highest difficulty, or at least to me it was. The lock mingame was shit for the most part, extremely sensitive controls were a problem there. The electronic lock one was inbetween, very hard but doable.
Were you using a controller? For locks all you have to do is just move the mouse up or down. For bypassing, follow the trails with the cursor, which is "cheating" but allowed-cheating.

Lhynn

Arcane
Were you using a controller? For locks all you have to do is just move the mouse up or down. For bypassing, follow the trails with the cursor, which is "cheating" but allowed-cheating.
Yeah, unno if it was a bug but for locks controls were extremely sensitive and it was nigh impossible to do at high difficulty. For bypassing it was a matter of time mostly, youd run out of it so fast.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For bypassing, follow the trails with the cursor, which is "cheating" but allowed-cheating.
This! Alpha Protocol's minigames were so easy using a mouse, I don't get what's the problem with them.

eremita

Savant
Is it? Lets say there's a game with 100.000 situations where certain character wears different colored pants.

Its that good reactivity?
Haven't you read this part of my post?
Are you asking how are we gonna decide when comparing different kind of CC - like altered dialogue vs altered walkthrough? We can always go back to "code" (scripting), different locations, cutscenes etc. It is a matter of convention of course, but it's still objective...
Dude, the evaluation whether the amount of work needed for alternative walkthrough, like in Witcher 2 for example, is larger than different color of shirt can be done objectively...

Theldaran

Liturgist
Eh, not touching this topic of SJW, sexists VS female enforcers (a la Gender Wars), etc. But come on, the Phantasy Star series did a heavy contribution to RPG of the time, and know what? Yup, the chief designer was a woman. In a country as sexist as Japan, on an age past. I guess the females showing up now at the gaming industry lack the talent of Kodama-san, which is also an issue.

About Obsidian, I have to struggle bringing to mind a game of theirs I really liked... nope, no luck.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, not touching this topic of SJW, sexists VS female enforcers (a la Gender Wars), etc. But come on, the Phantasy Star series did a heavy contribution to RPG of the time, and know what? Yup, the chief designer was a woman.

Apart from all those self-loathing Gamergate mongoloids, nobody sane has any problem with women in gaming industry. If they are actually good at their job, who gives a fuck? Go ahead and have an entire team of black vegetarian creatonist lesbians. As long as the game is good, I don't give a shit. And that's the issue, because the hiring policy appears to be more focused on increasing diversity than on increasing competence.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, not touching this topic of SJW, sexists VS female enforcers (a la Gender Wars), etc. But come on, the Phantasy Star series did a heavy contribution to RPG of the time, and know what? Yup, the chief designer was a woman. In a country as sexist as Japan, on an age past. I guess the females showing up now at the gaming industry lack the talent of Kodama-san, which is also an issue.

About Obsidian, I have to struggle bringing to mind a game of theirs I really liked... nope, no luck.

The only decent Phantasy Star is 4 so bravo to her getting it wrong three times before finally making something decent. :M

I will give her props for being one-third of the design team for Sonic the Hedgehog.

Bonerbill

Augur
Apart from all those self-loathing Gamergate mongoloids, nobody sane has any problem with women in gaming industry. If they are actually good at their job, who gives a fuck?

I certainly have a problem with it if ideas affect the quality or story of the game. That woman from Double Bear is proof enough.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
For all obsidians faults, they are still better developers than inxile, more professional and technically adept at least.

Out of the current crop of crpg developers, I think that Larian is the better positioned to succeed, they have a kickass engine, they have invested in improve no their weakest gameplay elements (writing) and being based on Europe, their development costs will tend to be lower than either obsidian or inxile, and with EU funds to boot.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The only decent Phantasy Star is 4 so bravo to her getting it wrong three times before finally making something decent. :M

I will give her props for being one-third of the design team for Sonic the Hedgehog.

Amy Henning's pretty cool.

Theldaran

Liturgist

I played PS4 in 1994 as a kid and it wasn't just "decent", it was "kickass".

As for the series, already the first game was a marvel of design at the time. It now seems like children's work, but at the time it was something. And it's bloody ancient.

Anyway I understand someone may differ, especially with the benefit of the passage of time.

Apart from all those self-loathing Gamergate mongoloids, nobody sane has any problem with women in gaming industry. If they are actually good at their job, who gives a fuck? Go ahead and have an entire team of black vegetarian creatonist lesbians. As long as the game is good, I don't give a shit. And that's the issue, because the hiring policy appears to be more focused on increasing diversity than on increasing competence.

Exactly, anyone with enough maturity would see things this way. The example of Rieko Kodama (and other female japanese directors and designers) should prove that there's no excuse for doing a piss poor job, male or female. I blame it on an age of instant gratification where hardly anyone commits to do any hard work. This has been the case with videogames for a long time, with little exceptions. Wonder why today there are no FF7s? No Metal Gear Solids? No classic Diablos? We've become lazy, as creators and as consumers.

Lhynn

Arcane
Apart from all those self-loathing Gamergate mongoloids, nobody sane has any problem with women in gaming industry.
Sure, and almost nobody does. not even gamergaters.

If they are actually good at their job, who gives a fuck? Go ahead and have an entire team of black vegetarian creatonist lesbians.
Thats a big IF, isnt it.

As long as the game is good, I don't give a shit.
Like no one actually does. The problem is that if a team focuses on the wrong things like diversity and inclusion it leaves little room for creativity, interesting scenarios or even historical accuracy. We have seen this before bro, political correctness kills games.

And that's the issue, because the hiring policy appears to be more focused on increasing diversity than on increasing competence.
Sure, but sawyer doesnt care if his team is comprised of a a bunch of talentless hacks, as long as half of them have tits and also half of them arent white, its good. Hes got priorities you see.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just came here to beat a long dead horse.

Last month Obsidian apparently opened a modding subforum - funny, considering that they're a year too late.
The content of the subforum reflects really well the moddability of the game too.
And they also drew up some legal stuff, to quote some:

you cannot use our logos. What does this mean? The Obsidian Entertainment and the Pillars of Eternity logo cannot appear in your Fan Project, website, advertising material, video or other publication.

by making a Fan Project using our IP you agree that we can use, copy, modify, distribute, and make derivative works of your Fan Project in any form, on a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide basis, for any purpose and without having to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit.

you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold Obsidian [...] of either harmless from all liabilities, costs, or other fees associated with or arising from any act or omission on your part, especially with regard to your Fan Project. This includes our attorneys’ fees or expert witness’ fees and any settlement or judgement amount that we have to pay as a result.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian sure is terrified of litigation.

Inappropriate usage covers a broad spectrum of reasons, most grounded in a realm of common sense, which we believe doesn't fit our IP or our core values, or that we believe is just plain old bad manners. If your Fan Project does not infringe on anyone else's rights in any way, is not done in bad taste or make us look bad, and is free for your fellow Pillars fans, you are likely on the right track.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom