Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian can't deliver, so Aliens RPG goes elsewhere?

Tigranes

Arcane
I wouldn't actually disagree with you if you said so far, AP is looking too similar to ME, and it's putting you off. You can make that point without resorting to strawmen. Want it crystal clear?

-> Same dialogue wheel: was shit the first time, will likely be shit again.
-> alpha male blah: fucking fail, try to find a 'similarity' that doesn't exist on a planetary scale
-> cinematic angle: ditto
-> all the fucking: shit.
-> infinite bullets: this would be shit no matter who you copied or didn't copy.
-> same engine: the whole point is that this is irrelevant. especially because the interface looks to differ from ME's. As for artistic design, I haven't played ME, but screenshots don't look that samey to me. Or are you going to say they're both similar cause they have modern buildings?

it is possible to call the bullshit without trying hard and failing to make EVERYTHING bullshit so that you present this massive ball of consistent bullshit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So how about not ignoring my arguments next time about similarities instead of posting butthurt like "Same dialogue wheel: was shit the first time, will likely be shit again. "
It is similar to ME which means that Obsidian copies ME. Shit/no shit is irrelevant, we were arguing not about that.

But get ready my brave anti-bullshit warrior, because it seems like that gaming press also despises poor Obsidian!
To arms!

The combat in Alpha Protocol is third person and takes place in real time. It actually reminded me a lot of Mass Effect
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... eview.html

Similar to BioWare’s system in Mass Effect, you get to choose options as the conversations play out
http://www.strategyinformer.com/ps3/alp ... eview.html

Even evil russkies think it's like Mass Effect
http://www.3dnews.ru/games/alpha_protoc ... t_preview/

and of course the whole preview from evil Kotaku despising Obsidian at every corner!
http://kotaku.com/5026634/alpha-protoco ... lo-spy-set

and if you will google for "alpha protocol mass effect" it will look like the whole internetz despises poor Obsidian.

(lulz: "All of these similarities are simply coincidence though, as the folks at Obsidian - who have worked closely with BioWare in the past - assured me that they had started work on Alpha Protocol before Mass Effect was being developed.")

Tigranes

Arcane
Me: "I wouldn't actually disagree with you if you said so far, AP is looking too similar to ME,"

Skyway: "DUDE AP IS TOTALLY LIKE ME MAN WAT U TLKIN ABOUT"

And here I thought I was in the Codex.

Tigranes

Arcane
If this were a dialogue tree, you would be stuck in a loop.

I agree that AP sounds too similar to ME on certain aspects, such as the dialogue wheel, sexxing up and infinite bullets, all of which are shit decisions to boot. But instead of sticking to these logical claims, you've decided to inflate it into this "OMG EVERYTHING IS A COPY" straw-planet just so you can advance your master narrative of Obsidian The Bastard Child.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I think I've clearly stated that only mechanics and looks are similar, while plot-related stuff and entourage are different. Which still proves the argument that Obsidian follows Bioware steps.

Shoelip

Arbiter
What's wrong with the sexing up? More video games need sex. That was the one thing slasher movies did right, violence and sex. Just having tons of violence but shunning sex like it's the most terrible thing in the world is, well, retarded.

mondblut

Arcane
Shoelip said:
What's wrong with the sexing up? More video games need sex. That was the one thing slasher movies did right, violence and sex. Just having tons of violence but shunning sex like it's the most terrible thing in the world is, well, retarded.

+69

We need more nekkid whores in our RPGs. The devs should pay more attention to TWitcher, that's about the only thing CDP did right.

Andhaira

Arcane
What is the fate of the 3rd prject obsidian was working on? (rumored to be yet anothe expansion pack).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
skyway said:
(lulz: "All of these similarities are simply coincidence though, as the folks at Obsidian - who have worked closely with BioWare in the past - assured me that they had started work on Alpha Protocol before Mass Effect was being developed.")
I think this is more lulz:

[Mass Effect is] one of the best action RPGs ever created

fastpunk

Arbiter
skyway said:
The combat in Alpha Protocol is third person and takes place in real time. It actually reminded me a lot of Mass Effect
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... eview.html

Because it's uncommon of journos to offer elements from other games as examples in order to give the reader an idea of what they mean. But of course, we all know that if it's third-person, real-time and an RPG, it surely copies ME. I mean, ME invented all that. The other stuff like hand-to-hand combat and stealth and gadget use was conveniently left out of your argument. Ah, but they don't add anything to gameplay anyway, right?

skyway said:
Similar to BioWare’s system in Mass Effect, you get to choose options as the conversations play out
http://www.strategyinformer.com/ps3/alp ... eview.html

So ME's dialog wheel is basically the same system they've used since ever, they just shortened the responses and put them on a wheel. AP uses a stance system, where you don't choose actual responses, you chose stances. And it's timed, and you can't go through the same piece of dialog twice. Yeah, I see what you're suggesting, there's really no difference, it's obviously the same as ME's dialog wheel (which btw, is completely the same as any other dialog tree system, except the visual placement of responses).

But wait, dialogs are cinematic as well, character faces are animated and they use gestures and cameras switch angles every once in a while. OMG! That's just a huge rip-off of ME, because we all know that ME was the first to do all this. Right?

Also, lulz! Skyway quoting the next-gen journos, the same dudes he whines about all day, in order to win an argument. Oh, the irony... :lol:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is not that ME and AP don't share similarities. They do, just like tons of other games share similarities to each other. We're talking about an industry that's constantly recycling elements that have been done before, just offering different packaging. I'm not even saying that AP will be a great, or original, or innovative game. It's just that this whole 'AP copied ME'' angle is dumb. If you can't see the differences between AP and ME in terms of dialogs and combat, well, though luck.

Warden

Arbiter
MLMarkland said:
Dicksmoker said:
Fat Dragon said:
MLMarkland said:
skyway said:
Multiheaded dicks etc.

Hitting straw men, oh god it's heavan!

:lol:
The fact that he is in good humor I would take to mean that the situation isn't too bad at Obsidian.

P.S. Great username

And in Croatian "suck my dick" is actually "smoke my dick". So the wording does make plenty of sense. I'm not saying this being sarcastic or homophobic, which would be ironic for obvious reasons. :)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck! This thread's so awesome I had to come out of codex retirement just to post this shitty response to it.

Codex: 67
Obsidian: 4

I like Rocky, so I'm hoping Sawyer has a little something left in the basement here!

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
VonVentrue said:
Dicksmoker said:
Fat Dragon said:
MLMarkland said:
skyway said:
Multiheaded dicks etc.

Hitting straw men, oh god it's heavan!

:lol:
The fact that he is in good humor I would take to mean that the situation isn't too bad at Obsidian.

Has it ever occured to you that laughter is widely considered to be a relatively effective remedy for stress?

In all honesty, I have never been less stressed in my entire life.

But I kickass, so that makes life less stressful in general.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom