Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, that might be changing in the next one.
tr4l54sxsuy61.jpg

2D art vs cinematic funded with Microsoft money vs in-game character model

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, that might be changing in the next one.
tr4l54sxsuy61.jpg

2D art vs cinematic funded with Microsoft money vs in-game character model
I'd describe it rather as "Heterosexual actual artist vs dangerhair-minibrain English majors". Boyarski should have gone full Robert McGinnis, just to see their faces. :D

(I just saw Boyarski's girl's face is pretty much McGinnis' Barbarella poster. No wonder it looked familiar.)

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Long hair is difficult to animate.
So don't animate it. Nobody fucking cares.
There are multiple options for modelling long hair that doesn't look weird for not having physics. TOW cuts a lot of corners with its character design. Some have very detailed facial animations, others have barely any animations. Too few or too similar facial skeletons, again to economize on animations. Leading to NPCs in a 3d 1st person game feeling just as faceless if not more than npcs in isometric games, etc. I'm not a professional but even I can see these things.There is also some of the problem that Cyberpunk ran into - when you don't have a set piece composition of the characters and camera during conversation, you don't have the luxury of arranging the camera angle and lighting so that characters look more natural. Contrast TOW and Cyberpunk with Witcher 3 for example.

Codex Year of the Donut
Amusingly, you can find a lot of fan creations using the limited ingame character creator that look far better than any female actually in the game. At some point the line between ineptitude and intent starts to blur.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's just a weird American progressive culture that being ugly is liberating. Some sort of neo-neo-puritanism of SJWs that making a character not attractive means that you are not objectifying them. Of course that just means that they are objectifying them by reducing them to their looks or even that attractive people are automatically objectifying themselves. Probably the reason why American studios do this more than other Western studios, even the woke ones. Because woke culture outside of America doesn't seem to hate people being attractive as much.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's just a weird American progressive culture that being ugly is liberating. Some sort of neo-neo-puritanism of SJWs that making a character not attractive means that you are not objectifying them. Of course that just means that they are objectifying them by reducing them to their looks or even that attractive people are automatically objectifying themselves. Probably the reason why American studios do this more than other Western studios, even the woke ones. Because woke culture outside of America doesn't seem to hate people being attractive as much.
Give it another couple years, western devs love copying every retarded thing californian fags do

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Amusingly, you can find a lot of fan creations using the limited ingame character creator that look far better than any female actually in the game. At some point the line between ineptitude and intent starts to blur.
Consider that the
Find art directors who understand the art and technology from the ground up. Your art directors are a joke and really have no idea what makes a AAA look like a AAA.

The art department is kind of a joke and they don't focus on making a game great there. Instead the keep saying that story is everything and really everything should be important. I feel like they are so behind on tech, art and real game-play that they are doomed to fail. I couldn't stay there anymore. The art directors there, I feel, have given up on making great art or are are just extremely toxic.

people are correct. :M

Oberon

Learned
Long hair is difficult to animate.
3D modeling was a mistake. Not that I accept that as an excuse, of course. We all know that the real reason of course is jealous ham planets, nu-male cucks indoctrinated with gender studies, and trannies who hate beautiful women.
But as an aside sprites are much more aesthetically pleasing than 3D models.

Codex Year of the Donut
"long hair is difficult to animate!!!!!" - artist in 2022 with the fanciest newest tech around
"damn this undead babe looks so hot" - idk, some nerd doing the animations for long hair in 2003 for vtmb where you can see the individual bangs animate when she moves her head

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's all cyclical, hot bouncy-boob or whatever female characters will be back once it's been long enough for them to be considered retro and people get more sick of a lack of aesthetic variety. You guys do sound awfully like a bunch of weirdo Japanese shut-ins obsessing over this kind of stuff though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...s-sustainable-collaborative-production/883513

Production Essentials Summit: No Mavericks, No Martyrs: Sustainable, Collaborative Production

Most game teams have mavericks and martyrs--devs who work outside of normal pipelines and hours to get additional content and features into the game. Driven by "passion," they're often seen as leaders and MVPs.

However, the habits and attitudes that martyrs and mavericks instill have long-term consequences for team and project health. Their work often leads to scope bloat for downstream departments, shortcuts that accrue bugs and tech debt, and mistrust between "less committed" devs who resent the scope creep on the one hand and rogue agents hacking in risky and unaccounted-for content on the other.

This talk will examine how the unchecked enthusiasm of mavericks and martyrs can sabotage a team, healthier approaches that can foster sustainable and collaborative passion, and practical steps leads and producers can take to steer devs in a more productive direction without squashing their joy for their work.

Takeaway
Attendees will gain a concrete understanding of how seemingly innocuous individual behaviors can drive a team and their game towards disaster, a healthier mindset that can temper passion with collaboration and discipline, and practical tactics they can deploy to steer a team away from the brink.

Intended Audience
This talk is primarily directed at producers, directors, and strike team leads--leaders and managers who are responsible for team health and productivity. Other devs will find useful takeaways to inform their work habits. No prior knowledge is necessary, though production experience will give attendees useful context.

Chris Avellone: "I resemble that remark!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom