Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't see your responses to Sawyer, Mr. Possibly Retarded.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Josh's reply http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__440#entry1220381

Josh Sawyer said:
That is likely more common, but isn't being "wasteful" something that's only appreciated in retrospect? I.e. conservation strategy is only strategic if you have some sort of understanding of what you're going up against. In most cases, you don't know how many enemies you're going to fight, how deep the dungeon is, or what spells any given caster has at his or her disposal. Is it "wasteful" to cast fireball on 6 lizard men? Is it wasteful to cast it on 4 lizard men? What if one of them is a caster and he's casting hold person? What if there are only 30 lizard men on the level?
That's why people buy scrolls too.
Apropos, there will be scrolls?

Captain Shrek

You mean to his loaded scenarios ?

my name there is andreisiadi, you can see them just fine.

Do you understand the reason for his loaded questions?

1458_900.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__460#entry1220406

Josh Sawyer said:
GordonHalfman, on 03 October 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Do you just disagree with the whole concept of managing resources across fights then? I'm curious as to what your stance is on healing potions.

No. I haven't though a tremendous amount about healing points, but that brings up an interesting parallel resource management behavior in RPGs. I've seen (and talked to) innumerable gamers who say they end games with inventories full of consumables: potions, wands, scrolls, etc. The most commonly cited reason they give is that they don't know when is/isn't a good time to use them. Also, because they often have no idea when they might get more, they don't want to run out. It's sort of the inverse problem of rest spamming.

Lord Andre

Arcane

You mean to his loaded scenarios ?

my name there is andreisiadi, you can see them just fine.

Do you understand the reason for his loaded questions?

so he can say that cooldowns are the miracle answers to his loaded scenarios...oh wait I know you're smarter than this so you must be trolling me. My bad. Carry on.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've taken the opportunity to introduce Josh to my theory about the need to reduce OCD behavior in RPGs. :obviously:

Lord Andre

Arcane
I've taken the opportunity to introduce Josh to my theory about the need to reduce OCD behavior in RPGs. :obviously:

Yeah, only problem is - Sawyer is either a stubborn asshole or 3 inches short of an idiot. Good luck getting through.

I hope Cain and Avallone can control the obvious decline he will bring to the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I love emotional roller coasters. :roll:

Good to see a) my future boyfriend laying down the law over in the Obsidian forum and b) how all those dropped/lowered pledges did fuck all to the amount of money Obsidian has/is still getting. How does it feel to be insignificant?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think Alex made a great point (maybe a little vague, but on a right track).
Actually, he made two, but I meant the latter about challenge being the world itself, not just some contained piece after you just regenerate everything and continue on.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Sawyer responds to shrek:

Captain Shrek, on 03 October 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:
The obvious question should be: why even a cool down? Make the regeneration instantaneous!

Locking out access to an entire level of spells once you have exhausted the castings you have available to you at a given level (as a 3E sorcerer would) means that you have to use spells from your other spell levels. This creates a tactical challenge during combat, especially for spells at levels where you do not have many castings available (i.e. typically your highest). Allowing them to regenerate literally instantly means that there is not a tactical consideration; you should just use the most powerful spell for the situation over and over again for the duration of combat.

There is a very popular example of this model named Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2. They make it even less tedious! The health (sadly only meaningful resource in that game unlike RPGs) regenerates instantly. Why not do that with project eternity as well? I mean that is the least amount of tedium right?

The feeling of challenge is a balance between enjoyment and frustration. It is not the same for every player, but it is almost always at some midpoint between those two emotions. My goal is to use a variety of mechanics to find balance points that appeal to this specific audience, varied as it is. I think that instant health regeneration errs to much on the side of ease for this audience.

Is he trolling his own forums or is he truly so retarded as to not detect the obvious sarcasm in Shrek's post ?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Perhaps he's trying to make a rhetorical point by giving him a straight answer anyway.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sawyer responds to shrek:

Is he trolling his own forums or is he truly so retarded as to not detect the obvious sarcasm in Shrek's post ?
I'd say he's just trolling Shrek.

JE Sawyer said:
Captain Shrek, on 03 October 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:
Not really Josh. You are probably too busy to get this question correctly. Sorry to intrude on your busy schedule like this.

I don't believe you are sincere.

See?

Lord Andre

Arcane
It's not like Sawyer can't read this thread (or whoever does at obsidian).

So, what's your point ? I can post on the codex that Gayder is an idiot but I can't say Sawyer is a retard. Anita wouldn't like the double standard you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom