Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not like Sawyer can't read this thread (or whoever does at obsidian).

So, what's your point ? I can post on the codex that Gayder is an idiot but I can't say Sawyer is a retard. Anita wouldn't like the double standard you know.
You can certainly post that but he's probably gonna read it.

Lord Andre

Arcane
It's not like Sawyer can't read this thread (or whoever does at obsidian).

So, what's your point ? I can post on the codex that Gayder is an idiot but I can't say Sawyer is a retard. Anita wouldn't like the double standard you know.
You can certainly post that but he's probably gonna read it.

Ohhhhh...that's some serious C&C right there, I hope it makes it to the final game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__520#entry1220528

Josh Sawyer said:
The amount of time that a spell level lockout should last isn't something for which I have a solid answer. It could work in a manner similar to 4E where the end of an "encounter" resets the lockout on the majority of abilities, but "combat" states in engines is something that, in my experience, is often triggered on/off in weird ways. If a lockout lasts for something like 30 seconds or 45 seconds, that lockout will likely last longer than the remainder of the combat, but not so long that the player would have a compelling incentive to "spam stand", which I agree is bad. Whether the answer is a timed lockout or a combat state-released lockout, I'm not sure.

I think health and hit points can be handled differently because the player always has a high incentive to avoid as much damage as possible for all of their characters. I.e. conserving health is (almost) always in the player's best interest, but conserving spells may not be.

What exactly does he mean by "spell level lockout"?

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__520#entry1220528

Josh Sawyer said:
The amount of time that a spell level lockout should last isn't something for which I have a solid answer. It could work in a manner similar to 4E where the end of an "encounter" resets the lockout on the majority of abilities, but "combat" states in engines is something that, in my experience, is often triggered on/off in weird ways. If a lockout lasts for something like 30 seconds or 45 seconds, that lockout will likely last longer than the remainder of the combat, but not so long that the player would have a compelling incentive to "spam stand", which I agree is bad. Whether the answer is a timed lockout or a combat state-released lockout, I'm not sure.

I think health and hit points can be handled differently because the player always has a high incentive to avoid as much damage as possible for all of their characters. I.e. conserving health is (almost) always in the player's best interest, but conserving spells may not be.

What exactly does he mean by "spell level lockout"?
When you cannot access any of the spell of a given level because you used all the charges (like a sorcerer), I presume.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get it. He wants alll spells to be regained after a 45 second cooldown after the end of combat? :eek: That doesn't sound right.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm back with my tea...
I can't tell yet. Someone should ask him.

I'm getting the unhappy foreboding feeling that Sawyer wants the party to automatically regain all spells, HP and be revived after every single encounter. If only we knew more...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Josh Sawyer said:
Captain Shrek, on 03 October 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:
Alright. So let us assume for the present that heal is not the issue. What about Summoned creatures, one shot kill spells (Wail of the Banshee?) something even worse like Shadow simulacrum which you can spam per battle? I am hoping such things are completely absent then, other wise I foresee a clear trail of munchkin crumbs in my merry adventurous path along the game
original.gif

Well, that is a good question: should spells of that power (mass save or die, enormous damage sink summons) be in the spellcaster's arsenal, period? I know some players do want "omnipotent" (to use one poster's words) wizards.

:hmmm:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm getting the unhappy foreboding feeling that Sawyer wants the party to automatically regain all spells, HP and be revived after every single encounter. If only we knew more...

No. I don't see any response from him stating that as a fact and how the game will be.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, good. I felt as if his question-asking earlier was driving towards a revelation that it'd be oh-so-much more convenient and time saving if the party was revived and healed after every fight because that'd be so much more convenient and reduce unnecessary micro-management.

Which'd be lame. I'm glad it was just me.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

No. I don't see any response from him stating that as a fact and how the game will be.

Huh? What about the responses I posted just above?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ah, good. I felt as if his question-asking earlier was driving towards a revelation that it'd be oh-so-much more convenient and time saving if the party was revived and healed after every fight because that'd be so much more convenient and reduce unnecessary micro-management.

His reason for posting that was to actually make you think about it. His response to you about punishing the player a second time was was spot on. I can agree with that. There is however a delicate balance that should be maintained. as in LOL EASY vs Tactical.

Lord Andre

Arcane

Which'd be lame. I'm glad it was just me.

It's not just you. That's exactly where this was heading from the start. Jaesun is either trolling for lols or being a fanboy again. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

He never said that WAS how it was going to be in the game. He was still thinking on the mechanic of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

He never said that WAS how it was going to be in the game. He was still thinking on the mechanic of it.

Dude, he's talking about 30-45 second lockout times after combat. We're fucked. All or most spells regenerated between encounters, like D&D 4E.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Dude, he's talking about 30-45 second lockout times after combat. We're fucked. All or most spells regenerated between encounters, like D&D 4E.

The amount of time that a spell level lockout should last isn't something for which I have a solid answer.

This could be a day. 45 seconds or 8 hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__560#entry1220605

Josh Sawyer said:
evdk, on 03 October 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:
So Josh, I admit I am getting a bit confused here - you do support all spells automatically regenerating a set time after combat resolution?
Not particularly. What I've been consistently saying is that in the IE games, most players did regenerate their spells (through rest) after the end of combat, if not after the end of one combat, usually after two or three. We have some players in this thread insisting that they never do that. I'm not doing to dispute them, but I certainly know what I've watched players actually do (rest constantly and backtrack to rest constantly).

Weasel words gonna weasel.

Gozma

Arcane
You can't really even have these discussions sanely without knowing their design parameters like combat density. If it imitates IE type trash fight density (like one per screen of fog of war cleared) that leads to different needs for the system than a game with rarer trash fighting like FO or the part of Arcanum that isn't dungeon crawl.

evdk

Patron
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__560#entry1220605

Josh Sawyer said:
evdk, on 03 October 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:
So Josh, I admit I am getting a bit confused here - you do support all spells automatically regenerating a set time after combat resolution?
Not particularly. What I've been consistently saying is that in the IE games, most players did regenerate their spells (through rest) after the end of combat, if not after the end of one combat, usually after two or three. We have some players in this thread insisting that they never do that. I'm not doing to dispute them, but I certainly know what I've watched players actually do (rest constantly and backtrack to rest constantly).

Weasel words gonna weasel.
Yeah, that told me jack :)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Posted my thoughts over there, not that it's going to make a difference http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page__st__580#entry1220626
This is actually a really great post. I haven't played Dark Souls, so it's good to hear how someone made this interesting.

Also, it's been hinted that P:E will not reward XP for combat, so no need to worry about people trying abuse this for grinding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom