Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't reach 2.6 mil. The ability to create your own party from scratch would definitely be a welcome feature in the game. Anything that adds longevity into the game is a big plus.

Captain Shrek

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't reach 2.6 mil. The ability to create your own party from scratch would definitely be a welcome feature in the game. Anything that adds longevity into the game is a big plus.
They will reach 3.0 with mod tools.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They will reach 3.0 with mod tools.
If they'll have them. Unity might not be that mod friendly, according to Fargo.

jewboy

Arbiter
Perhaps I'm annoying but I have to nitpick.

That post from Sawyer only adresses the issue of "machinegun fireball".

What I am worried about and most of the people that posted in that thread, was that all abilities/spells would have time to reset from one encounter to the other. That means every encounter, I have all spells/abilities available to me. That means there will be no such thing as attrition in the game. That means every encounter except boss fights will be relegated to trash mobs aka "use your best abilities in order" aka useless timesinks aka boring aka DRAGON AGE.

DAO's problem was not that you could machinegun the same ability, the problem was full regeneration between fights making everything short of a boss - fodder.

Josh's comment does not address this issue and it this issue that makes me worried about a DAO reloaded.

You must have missed the drama over there yesterday when Sawyer made the Big Reveal about what he thought were unwarranted assumptions on the part of all of us doubters. Basically you're at the stage that most of us in this thread were at yesterday. No cooldowns of the typical variety but a possibility of EndOfEncounter = RESET. I just don't get why the whole trudging-back-to-camp-is-boring thing is so important to him. Important enough to risk destroying the whole game.

Note that he has also acknowledged the ginormous rift in the forums and has responded by saying that they are going to try to make as many of the mechanics optional as they can. I don't have a major problem with giving the Biofags their insta-reset button as long as it's optional and as long the game isn't balanced for it. Actually, balancing the game for resets between encounters will make the game harder. Not easier. So maybe it doesn't matter anyway. The key thing is that that button be optional. Or better yet just allow it to be turned off in an .ini file before you even start the game. While before I was not even considering backing the thing. Now I'm seriously considering it again. I just wash Sawyer could at least promise that if they do decide to implement the cooldown resting thing that they make it 100% optional. With a promise like that and maybe a promise to make the DVD DRM-free I might even pony up for a box and paper manual. Maybe. At preorder pricing it isn't really any more risky than a preorder, but above that the risk rises quickly.

jewboy

Arbiter
You mean in terms of balancing the encounters? Keep in mind there will hopefully be some moderately sophisticated (compared to the old IE games) difficulty controls as well. Again, the encounters would be too hard instead of too easy, which is not so bad. Plus they might compromise a bit and make the encounters sort of work for both the insta-RESETers and the traditionalists. They are aware of the rift and they claim to want to try to please both sides with options. But you may be right. Making a fun cRPG is not easy. Trying to make the combat fun for both playstyles by using options will be much harder. I suppose they could always compile two entirely separate builds. One for us and one for them.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I only one who finds Sarog incredibly annoying?

If you're referring to my thread then yes, he is annoying, but he makes some good points. I haven't been clear enough with what I mean by a political "human-centric" plot. It's a bit hard to explain and like I said, I'm not good with walls of text. ;)

Captain Shrek

To promise both (cooldowns and NOT cooldowns) is damn difficult. That will require completely different encounter design as far as I can see.

What if it is related to the difficulty option?

Acceptable solution I agree. I thought about that but that would mean complete overhaul of the encounter anyway unless you level scale (down) with difficulty.

But I don't get it then. Why is this game being considered the spiritual successor to IE games? It is more like spiritual successor to Dragon Age.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Why is this game being considered the spiritual successor to IE games? It is more like spiritual successor to Dragon Age.

How is it Dragon Age? There is no LOL SHOOTAN MY FIREBALLS EVERY 5 SECONDS LOL in this. A unique (but ultimately terrible) take on Tolkien? No. Everyone is Bi-Sexual so OMG SO I CAN ROMANCE THEM! Even Obsidian is not THAT fucking stupid. GAY ELF SEX? Who knows. Probably. Isometric locked camera.

How in the fuck is this like Dragon Turd?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone know if the other "rpg communities" collected enough for their inns yet ? Also, I might just have become a race traitor..

Gamebanshee is at 2.4K and we are less than that (just 2K). Did SA also do a drive?
Not sure who did what, o great thread-merger, was just thinking if we'd have a shot at the inn at the end of the run.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Am I only one who finds Sarog incredibly annoying?

If you're referring to my thread then yes, he is annoying, but he makes some good points. I haven't been clear enough with what I mean by a political "human-centric" plot. It's a bit hard to explain and like I said, I'm not good with walls of text. ;)

Yeah, meant that. I suspect he is from BSN, they all tend to be those passive-agressive zealot types.

jewboy

Arbiter
Infinitron, I can't believe you started a thread asking for a balanced game. Not that I disagree per se. It just seems so beside the point right now. Everything seems to stand or fall on whether nextgen makes it into the combat. I think the setting will be fine. Between Cain and MCA and Sawyer I don't think they will have a setting that is too unbalanced. They aren't Bethesda or Bioware. At least not yet.

If I were more of an optimist I'd be crossing my fingers that Sawyer is going to back down on the cooldowns before the kickstarter ends. He did make some comment about a fun game being a balance between annoyance and fun or something like that. So he doesn't seem entirely averse to the idea of not every part of the game being about Pure Awesomeness. But until that happens it's difficult for me to pay attention to what seem like minor details at the moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron, I can't believe you started a thread asking for a balanced game. Not that I disagree per se. It just seems so beside the point right now. Everything seems to stand or fall on whether nextgen makes it into the combat.

להיפך ידידי

This is the right time to air out all of our issues, because right now it's early enough to make a difference and the guys at Obsidian are probably reading everything we post. If I hold back on something now, it may be too late later on.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I haven't been clear enough with what I mean by a political "human-centric" plot.
Err, yes you were. I think everyone understood perfectly what you've meant by human and plot-centric gameplay and adventurous gameplay. It's just that your needle seemed to explode Sarog into a cloud of sophism... --

By rural mystique do you mean horrible sexism?

I understand that a lot of people here are fans but I'd rather anything from The Witcher didn't come near Project Eternity at all.

:hmmm:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sarog is almost certainly a BSN poster. Classic Biodrone posting style - focus on the semantics, passive aggressive tone, take offense at opinions being given (because it's not clearly stated as an opinion/preference) and use condescending analogies.

In fact, I could probably guess who the poster is.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyone know if the other "rpg communities" collected enough for their inns yet ? Also, I might just have become a race traitor..

Gamebanshee is at 2.4K and we are less than that (just 2K). Did SA also do a drive?
Not sure who did what, o great thread-merger, was just thinking if we'd have a shot at the inn at the end of the run.

No. There were 3 slots for the Inn option. I am un-aware who got those 3 slots. They then opened a few more 5K options for the Adventuring Party. But we are no where near 5K to have that happen. See the latest news post from Ms. Bee about the new Items and Weapons and Codex Troll which we can do.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I know.. just in theory if banshee fails and we somehow get to 5k instead.. but yeah I'm also happy with 2 or 3 npc's or whatever.

I don't know if Gamebanshee did what we did, reserved one of the 5K slots. I'm going to assume they did not (same with SA), and then on the last day of the KS, will just purchase slots that are available at the time. Which is pretty much what we will do as well.

Unless we get 5K which would be awesome.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
After carefull consideration, I kind of like the idea of "per fight spells"... that logic can be used to make spells less powerful, or less broken. The problem with IE games was that spells were powerfull for they were supposed to be a limited resource, fireballs where for tought fights with massive armies, but we could easily rest after every fight and fireball everyone... if fireball is a given right per fight, it will be obviously way weaker and less broken.

That of course, doesn't eliminate the existance of all-powerful venetian spells that have to be carefully managed...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, if everything faisl we could fuse with GameBanshee's fund drive and donate 5k as united BROS. ;)

tumblr_maogys8ilP1rcxoe3o1_500.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom