Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hillarious that your lack of ability to think on a statement makes me stupid.

We are talking about a game that's not yet made. I'm telling you that whatever (in this case the party) is fully customizable it will suffer from uniqueness in the end.
Check out IWD series. Your party is fully player made and no PC or event adresses you directly. In simple terms, the story isn't about you.

* Yes you can dismiss Morte in PS:T even as a part of the story. But almost noone plays that way because people love Morte, his quotes and the side quests that evolve around him. Yet even with just nameless one, the story is 80% about the PC and 20% about the rest of the world, and I personally like that kind of cRPGs. You don't have to agree and don't be afraid this stretch goal wont be removed just because I said so. It's just that I'm hoping that any possible future stretch goals aren't in the same direction.

* I couldn't care less about even older games such as EotB series and what not, and that's certainly what I didn't pay for ($2.5M for new EotB? lol.). Another example is Wasteland where the game doesn't involve NPC companions. Yes it's older than FO series but honestly it isn't 10% the game FO 1, 2 and NV each are.

Could I make myself clear?
It is almost physically painful that such stupidity can exist on the same planet that I live on.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Hillarious that your lack of ability to think on a statement makes me stupid.

We are talking about a game that's not yet made. I'm telling you that whatever (in this case the party) is fully customizable it will suffer from uniqueness in the end.
Check out IWD series. Your party is fully player made and no PC or event adresses you directly. In simple terms, the story isn't about you.

* Yes you can dismiss Morte in PS:T even as a part of the story. But almost noone plays that way because people love Morte, his quotes and the side quests that evolve around him. Yet even with just nameless one, the story is 80% about the PC and 20% about the rest of the world, and I personally like that kind of cRPGs. You don't have to agree and don't be afraid this stretch goal wont be removed just because I said so. It's just that I'm hoping that any possible future stretch goals aren't in the same direction.

* I couldn't care less about even older games such as EotB series and what not, and that's certainly what I didn't pay for ($2.5M for new EotB? lol.). Another example is Wasteland where the game doesn't involve NPC companions. Yes it's older than FO series but honestly it isn't 10% the game FO 1, 2 and NV each are.

Could I make myself clear?

:killit: :fight: :x

That about sums it up.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
TB is a lost cause by now. It's a strange stance to take, but it seems Obsidian still wants to draw in next-gen crowd by compromising on some 'old-school' traditions. Let's see if they add 'romance' into the game first... I'm not entirely sold on this game just yet. But the low pre-order price (2 years pre-order) enticed me.

Maybe they're doing RtWP because the point of the whole fucking deal is to emulate the RtWP classics from the IE engine.

HOLY SHIT WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT (anyone who isn't an idiot, that's who)

yeah that's the point, bring back IE games. So, rtwp. Duh.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Wjat's this thread exactly about now? Last time I hcecked, some retards have been arguing that oppresive consoletard save system is good and hardcore.

Krash

Arcane
Wjat's this thread exactly about now? Last time I hcecked, some retards have been arguing that oppresive consoletard save system is good and hardcore.

So you think that saving anywhere is more hardcore than limited save locations? Doesn't the latter make the game harder and less forgiving? Then how exactly is limited saving less hardcore?

I'm not seeing the logic. (And for full disclosure, I don't particularly like limited saves myself.)

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Playing a game with a joypad sticked into ass is undoubtedly more hardcore than with the same thing held in hands. But it doesn't change the fact one doing the former thing is a jackass.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Playing a game with a joypad sticked into ass is undoubtedly more hardcore than with the same thing held in hands.

strawman.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And here we go again. Iron-man like saving mode is understood as checkpoint save-system.

Although Ion Prothon II usually stinks hard of troll.

Grimlorn

Arcane
This thread is about those who love rtwp combat and RPGs like Dragon Age and Mass Effect versus those who love turn based combat and RPGs like Fallout and KotC. You have to choose sides. Those that support Eternity are automatically traitors who will be dealt with in time.

WAR CODEX!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's funny because 90% of Codex posters can appreciate PS:T, Fallout, KOTC and Baldur's Gate 2 all at the same time without throwing a tantrum all the time.

And yeah right Grimlorn, as if anyone here likes Mass Effect or Dragon Age. If they did they'd quickly be outcast for their inferior taste.

Captain Shrek

It's funny because 90% of Codex posters can appreciate PS:T, Fallout, KOTC and Baldur's Gate 2 all at the same time without throwing a tantrum all the time.

And yeah right Grimlorn, as if anyone here likes Mass Effect or Dragon Age. If they did they'd quickly be outcast for their inferior taste.

If that were true it would be terrible. Games like DA2 that have nothing going on for them are not something we should tolerate. DA:O at least was a mediocre game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE - Brian FarBRO steps in to help, EXPANSION PACK ANNOUNCED: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/324405

Update #17 - Brian Fargo from inXile Kicks In, Obsidian Kicks it Forward, New $165 Tier, and Expansion

Update #17 · Oct. 08, 2012

With only seven days left on the Project Eternity Kickstarter, we want to start the last week off with some pretty incredible things to announce. You might not know that Brian Fargo is the guy who gave many of us our start in the games industry at Interplay – myself (Feargus), Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Scott Everts, Brian Menze, Chris Jones, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan – and the list keeps on going from there. He also gave the guys who started a little company called Silicon & Synapse their first few projects – pretty crazy to think that little company is now Blizzard Entertainment.

interplay-1983-torment-1999.jpg

Personally, we are incredibly thankful to him and for the second wave of Kickstarter attention he brought with Wasteland 2. But, Brian hasn’t stopped being the great guy that he is, and so, he’s helping us out by letting us add Wasteland 2 as a reward at our higher tiers. So, what tiers will that be? A lot of you have asked for a digital tier after $110, so we are adding a $165 Digital Only Tier. That means Wasteland 2 will get added to this new $165 tier and all the tiers above.

What we are also doing is adding the first expansion pack for the game to the $165 Tier (and above). The expansion will come out approximately six months after Project Eternity is released. That’s right, it’s not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack. We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.

With all that Brian has done for us in the past and his incredibly generous offer, we also want to kick something in. To do that we are now supporting the Brian's Kicking It Forwardinitiative. The Kickstarter community is pretty amazing and we want to help whomever we can be as successful as we have been.

kicking-it-forward.png

For those of you that missed the announcement over the weekend, we will be adding another level to the Mega Dungeon if we hit 20,000 Likes on the Obsidian's Facebook page. We are getting close to halfway there!

That’s a lot for today, and we have so much more coming up tomorrow. Maybe some new stretch goals, maybe some new add-ons, or heck maybe all of that! Stay tuned all of this week as we ramp up to the Project Eternity Kickstarter finish next Tuesday, October 16th with an all-day live video stream from Obsidian. We are trying to get Tim to do the cooking!

Oh, and we also owe everyone an update that goes through everything you get at each of the tiers listed out with a bit more detail than we can squeeze in on the front page of our Kickstarter site. We will get that update out in the next few days, but to tide everyone over – we’ve attached the full concept for Aloth below. (Larger version)

aloth-med.jpg

Have a great week, everyone!

Update from Feargus Urquhart

FORUMS: Join in the discussion on Update #17

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Awaiting the incoming Infinitron copy paste. :salute:

The Wasteland 2 is odd. Kicking it forward GOOD. A REAL expansion pack also GOOD. <3

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.

Sweet.

first expansion? six months after release... well, that's a bit off.

Nope. Expansions usually came within the year to cash in on people still playing the game or having it fresh in their memory. Look at Throne of Bhaal for instance. BG2 in june 2001, ToB in september.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Announcing expansion before a screenshot of the base game exists. Godspeed to those crazy bastards; I hope they pull it off. If not they'll suffer horrible torment, cursed forever on these message boards.

Edit: MCA looks like his girlfriend left him in that picture.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Nope. Expansions usually came within the year.

it's not about the timeframe but the announcement of an expansion before the actual game is released. they don't know if it's a slam dunk... this only gives the impression that they're holding back content for an addon. at least that's what the retards will think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom