Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Captain Shrek

Times of great struggle or personal duress often bring out the greatest aspects of man.

:bro:

What can cha.... hey!

Deleted member 7219

Very clever update from Obsidian. I think there will be many people increasing their donations after this.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Nope. Expansions usually came within the year.

it's not about the timeframe but the announcement of an expansion before the actual game is released. they don't know if it's a slam dunk... this only gives the impression that they're holding back content for an addon. at least that's what the retards will think.

The retards are already here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts

I don't want my money going towards the planning of an expansion pack, dlc or anything else. I'm considering pulling my funding on this.
I want everything to go towards the development of the game and making that as amazing as possible. No expansions till after this thing is 100% completed and amazing.

:killit:

Phelot

Arcane
I can't stand this InXile and Obsidian french kissing anymore. Are they getting together or not?

They are like SurfSolar and his girl troubles only on a more cosmic scale. You just never know if they're an item or not.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't stand this InXile and Obsidian french kissing anymore. Are they getting together or not?
Herve wants to get them all back together as BIS again.

oemkk.png

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
A better announcement wound have been that Fargo and Obsidian were working together on the architecture of a tool-kit.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
I suspect Obsidians main target demographic is Bioware refugees, the game will likely emulate BG2 (so romances and all that), but with a non D & D combat system, that will be of Obsidians usual standards.
I disagree regarding "usual standards" because a) they don't have to work with inherited systems b) they're trying to appeal to a different demographic (fans of BG and IWD) and c) aside from New Vegas, which used inherited systems and was intended for fans of Fallout 3, we've never seen Sawyer unbound.
Also it's a shame they didn't go turn based, because Mr Cain can actually design good t
I suspect Obsidians main target demographic is Bioware refugees, the game will likely emulate BG2 (so romances and all that), but with a non D & D combat system, that will be of Obsidians usual standards.
I disagree regarding "usual standards" because a) they don't have to work with inherited systems b) they're trying to appeal to a different demographic (fans of BG and IWD) and c) aside from New Vegas, which used inherited systems and was intended for fans of Fallout 3, we've never seen Sawyer unbound.
Also it's a shame they didn't go turn based, because Mr Cain can actually design good turn based combat. Obsidian on the other hand can't knock out good RTWP combat. We'll see if Tim can help with the problem, but I'm pessimistic in this case.
When did he do that? Fallout..? Arcanum...? Nope. ToEE? That game with shit encounters? And when the Codex interview asked him about it he claimed that ToEE's biggest problem was actually the story and dialogue? Don't look to Cain when it comes to good systems or combat.

:lol: ... :2/5:

jewboy

Arbiter
Most people on the obsidian forum seem very, very stupid to me. They have trouble grasping even the most basic of concepts and have trouble with any sort of logical thought. This project has really attracted a lot of idiots. Reading the forum, I'm in continuous facepalm mode.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Very clever update from Obsidian. I think there will be many people increasing their donations after this.

i highly doubt this. the majority of backers are at the 20$ and 25$ levels and only there to get a cheap game before release. they won't add 140$ just for an expansion... the next big amount of backers are at the 65$, 140$ and 250$ levels. they pledged this amount because of the boxed copy and/or the signed boxes. the 65$ and 140$ backers won't up their pledge because they'll lose the boxed copy. the expansion reward is just a digital only tier, which leaves the 80$ and 110$ backers - combined they're just 1k people. this whole reward tier is kinda senseless. it won't encourage a high amount of new backers and only a marginal amount will up their pledge to get in there.

instead they should have added both w2 and exp as a separate addon, each 30$.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Duh. They're going to get as much cash as possible from the people willing to pay, then add an expansion pack add-on in a few days. SLAM DUNK!

And btw people have been asking for more expensive digital tiers according to Obsidian.

Seriously, with all that cash in, you gotta be kidding me, You guys at Obsidian are a joke ! I wish i could unpledge my pledge, cause that combined to the crappy "goals" for money increase are really disapointing me ! I hate you !

:lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

i highly doubt this. the majority of backers are at the 20$ and 25$ levels and only there to get a cheap game before release. they won't add 140$ just for an expansion... the next big amount of backers are at the 65$, 140$ and 250$ levels. they pledged this amount because of the boxed copy and/or the signed boxes. the 65$ and 140$ backers won't up their pledge because they'll lose the boxed copy. the expansion reward is just a digital only tier, which leaves the 80$ and 110$ backers - combined they're just a amount of 1k people. this whole reward tier is kinda senseless. it won't encourage a high amount of new backers and only a marginal amount will up their pledge to get in there.

instead they should have added both w2 and exp as a seperate addon, each 30$.
I also doubt that many people will increase their pledge, but they will gain new supporters. After the announcement, they gathered 7K instead of the usual 1,5K.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
with this update they've done nothing good to the campaign... but this is what you'll get when you listen to those retarded kickstarter comments.

Captain Shrek

I don't get it.

The expansion pack is not free, right? So why are you paying for it now?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Upping $120 to get an expansion pack that will be sold later at a $10 price tag is not worth it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well the whole kickstarter thing is based upon paying for games which are not even finished. :)

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
You're paying them to make the game. I don't know why you guys choke on a lung over crowdsourcing like it's armed robbery or some kind of snake-oil scheme. Pay them if you want to see the game they want to make.

Captain Shrek

You're paying them to make the game. I don't know why you guys choke on a lung over crowdsourcing like it's armed robbery or some kind of snake-oil scheme. Pay them if you want to see the game they want to make.

Just to make you reconsider that, crowdsourcing is EXACTLY like stock market exchange.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
How on earth would that opaque analogy make me reconsider anything?

Captain Shrek

How on earth would that opaque analogy make me reconsider anything?
I was hoping you were one of these leftie tree huggers who think that money is the root of all evil and stuff. Apparently I failed. :(

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well the whole kickstarter thing is based upon paying for games which are not even finished. :)

Dude. What happened to you? You know I love Obsidian games as well any other popamole player on this board. What has robbed you of your common sense man???
I seriously don't understand what's your problem with funding the expansion in advance. I mean I won't pay 165 dollars, because I can't spand that much for this kickstarter, but this is similar to funding the base game. It's just the timeframe is a little longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom