Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But is it really supposed to fund the the expansion? As I understand it, all the money goes to the base game. They just give the expansion as an incentive to get more funds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well the whole kickstarter thing is based upon paying for games which are not even finished. :)

Dude. What happened to you? You know I love Obsidian games as well any other popamole player on this board. What has robbed you of your common sense man???
I seriously don't understand what's your problem with funding the expansion in advance. I mean I won't pay 165 dollars, because I can't spand that much for this kickstarter, but this is similar to funding the base game. It's just the timeframe is a little longer.

There is more to that last comment. Your entire behavior on the issue of this game has been like a 8 year old girl putting her fingers in her ear crying LALALALALALNOTLISTENINGLALALALAL
:bounce:Yes, because PE became the most anticipated game ever on my list. :bounce: I lost my common sense, and I'm loving it. You should try it out sometime.

But is it really supposed to fund the the expansion? As I understand it, all the money goes to the base game. They just give the expansion as an incentive to get more funds.
Well it probably won't go to the development of the expansion. I think Obsidian plans to finance it from the profit of PE as well as their other games.

Wizfall

Cipher
From Feargus about the expansion pack :
I don't think it will be Throne of Bhaal level - partly because Throne of Bhaal was originally going to be be BG3. It will be significant though - more than something like Old World Blues.
------------------------------------------
Looks more like a DLC than an old school add on IMO.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity

it is as you say. right now obsidian has to extinguish a lot of fires.

Adam Brennecke said:
Offering the Expansion as an add-on can be problematic for figuring out the budget of the game. All the funds that we receive via Kickstarter and PayPal will go to the base game only. 100% of it. If we offer the expansion as an add-on, that total number gets confusing. I'll be talking to Feargus about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think it will be Throne of Bhaal level - partly because Throne of Bhaal was originally going to be be BG3. It will be significant though - more than something like Old World Blues.

Was Tales of the Sword Coast a DLC?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

All the funding that we receive from Kickstarter and PayPal will be used to make the base game - No money raised will be used for funding the expansion in any way.

Captain Shrek

All the funding that we receive from Kickstarter and PayPal will be used to make the base game - No money raised will be used for funding the expansion in any way.

The wording is ambiguous.

wormix

Augur
There's really no difference between this and some of the other rewards offered.

This isn't Planescape, the physical goods aren't willed into existence.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing that OWB offered a big chunk of gameplay, new areas and stuff, I would be happy with as much content.

Also, they haven't even finished PE, there is no way they know about the expansion. But, as many times before...Feargus gonna Feargus. :M

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Was Tales of the Sword Coast a DLC?
It depends on how much you stretch the definition on DLC. It was "downloadable" and it was content, and it applied to the game for new stuff. You don't see expansion packs anymore, they are just called DLC. Take the GTA IV ones.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Feargus gonna Feargos. :M

a moment ago he announced free expension for the 140$ tier.

Feargus said:
@Ink Blot We also add the Expansion at that level.
Free? It has a $140 tag. It's not as "free" as those "get a free pen if you buy a television" ads. You are getting a pen and a TV for that initial price. Learn your marketing techniques, lad.

EDIT: Forum doesn't have doublepost merging?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Kind of lackluster update. Didn't really care for it. I am excited about the mega-dungeon. I hope it gets big enough to deserve the name.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feargus gonna Feargos. :M

a moment ago he announced free expension for the 140$ tier.

Feargus said:
@Ink Blot We also add the Expansion at that level.
Free? It has a $140 tag. It's not as "free" as those "get a free pen if you buy a television" ads. You are getting a pen and a TV for that initial price. Learn your marketing techniques, lad.

EDIT: Forum doesn't have doublepost merging?
It's free as in "I have pledged that already" so it's a win for me.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Adam Brennecke said:
Offering the Expansion as an add-on can be problematic for figuring out the budget of the game. All the funds that we receive via Kickstarter and PayPal will go to the base game only. 100% of it. If we offer the expansion as an add-on, that total number gets confusing. I'll be talking to Feargus about it.

Need sauce on this

Semper

Cipher

besides the fact that all the funding is going right into the vanilla game without expansion - so there's no way you can "buy" (we're talking about kickstarter so the word is nonsense anyway) the expansion, therefore you're getting it for free. free in this context means that (probably the 140$ tier and) all tiers above 165$ getting it for free too because they don't have to up their pledge. now what's a marketing technique?! M:

Need sauce on this

right there.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont see whats the big deal, they are probably counting that the game will actually sell enough copies to fund a expansion.

Nigro

Educated
Adam Brennecke said:

Need sauce on this
WMsbb.png

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Semper

Cipher
i've to admit that the 165$ tier better runs then initially expected. 100+ backers in 2h ain't that bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom