Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
As an example, think of your five favorite movie directors. Now imagine they were all hired to co-direct the same film. Is that movie going to be five times as awesome? Odds are that it is not. Just trying to illustrate the reality of creative development
Note: Brian was likely still buttdevastated over Chris introducing his Alpha Protocol script to the paper shredder.

I did not know that the dream team would all be performing the same task? Aren't they supposed to have specific roles and how they influence each other is based upon what their priorities are to fulfill their role? Basic teamwork 101. All team members should have as separate and unique of roles as possible, be able to freely communicate as necessary with any other member, know what their specific goals should be, and have a leader/director who oversees how the members function, interact, and makes final decisions to end design discussion and disputes.

If everyone on the team feels that they have a share in the final say over decisions conflict can and will arise. Sawyer needs to keep them on a tight leash and not be afraid to yank on that collar to get them in line. If not, he fails at his role as the project leader.

piydek

Cipher
Regarding the setting not being really original: I am completely into their idea to take something fairly generic and fucking it up in various ways. And that's what they announced. That might turn out way better than "new/odd/alien for the sake of being new/odd/alien" setting. Really lots of possibilities with their idea. And they totally have the talent and manpower to deliver on their promise.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=189#post408381036

Nightly roundup from Feargus in the KS comments:

The PE team:
quote:

The team will hover around 15 people, sometimes it will be larger depending on what we need done at the time. We do plan to cover all the costs with Kickstarer contributions unless we feel something that we something we are working on contributes to every project at the company - this would mostly apply to tools programming. Then that cost would probably be shared.

On adding more companions:
quote:

Companions are a lot of work and we want to spend the resources to make sure each one is very indepth. What that means is that we are going to see what we feel we can do.

...More work than what went into a BG companion. The ones on MotB and FNV could take two or more months of a designers time just to get the initial writing done.

On squashing bugs:
quote:

We are as aware as anyone - independent developers can live and die based upon their Metacritic. What we have done internally over the last two years is to work on our bug reporting process and our tools. Our tools now allow bugs to be reported from in-game and immediately filed into a bug database. The status of the database is then sent out to the whole team and the owners/founders of the company multiple times a week. We take it very seriously and have worked to take on as much of the responsibility as we can. I would point to Dungeon Siege 3, which had some criticisms (although I am very proud of the game), but there were no criticisms about it being buggy.

Upcoming plans this week:
quote:

Josh is going to be doing a Lore update on Thursday. I'm not sure what his topic is yet, so it might be that. I expect that he will be turning to that (along with the structure of the world) very soon. But, probably not, during the last week of the KS campaign.

...we should be doing an AMA this week

On the economics of stretch goals:
quote:

The money raised for the stretch goals doesn't all go to the development of that stretch goal. Any additional funds that we raise will be used to have additional people work on the project, such as area designers, programmers, and artists. All of these fine people will make the game's story larger and improves the quality of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently this is an old, failed pitched for a game called "Hidden", by MCA:

Myths and Folk Tales exist, see, they fill the seams in our world.

You know them already, but you forget fast. The faint trilling of a flute beneath a sewer grate, a click-spinning bike wheel with a length of blonde hair twined in its spokes, the click-click of glass-spiked heels on a sidewalk echoing, echoing, then... wait, it's gone. The faint smell of brimstone from the local pub with the ash-blackened windows and the men who walk out more hunched than they went in, a nest of filthy blankets arranged in a square pen that seems too small for a human to sleep on.

The world we walk in is one we see through untraumatized eyes... the one you see without accident, the see something else... more than you bargained for.

Once seen, these things can never be unseen. You become a part of the hidden world, its rules, its inhabitants - and their bargains.

It'll creep up on you. You might smell spoiled beef from an empty alley, a fingernail scratching a tune on a record in a sealed attic… or catch a sewer manhole sliding noiselessly closed. A grinning smile within the door of a doghouse. A sudden feeling of déjà vu and a faint, distant jazz saxophone when you enter a hotel lobby. Smoke and ash lingering in the air where no fire has burned, and the faint smell of the charnel house may come from a children's playground. Your grandmother in a brief moment of lucidity, recite a poem from the 16th century and tells you the third line will determine your fate, and all the while, the candles in her windows flicker even when there's no breeze to brush by them. Every alley merits a second glance, then a third... but when you turn away, your surroundings have changed. There is splashing in empty fountains, a giggle behind an abandoned storefront, the ting of a glass shard falling... you may even hear the dust motes whispering amongst themselves. Then - it gets worse.

When something cuts you deep, physically or emotionally, sometimes you catch a glimpse of the world as it unfolds… walls peel away, tiles fall from floors into the Abyss, and reality becomes a hallucination you happen to have shared with everyone you knew. Distance has no meanings, streets stretch on forever, and things at your peripheral vision suddenly become very, very real. Nothing can be measured, and you see a glimpse of the infinite.

Demons lurk in bars, waiting and getting drunk on human misery, as they sip emptiness from glasses of pessimism... and wait for humanity to come in to pick and choose which of those empty vessels they wish to sample and fill with their energy. Mothers forget their children, their houses filled with empty cribs whose contents have been misplaced. Some say there's a dark overlord behind it all, pulling the strings - Lucifer himself, the puppeteer, the one-we-all-answer-to, the fallen angel... but thing is, no one's seen him for some time. It's like he's vanished, gone, into the air... like a folk tale.

Where has he gone, you say? Well, that's the part of the story where you walk in - or wake up, might be better. You and this fellow Lucifer, turns out you have a history. A brief one, a cloudy one, but very, very troubling.

But that's how all tales begin... the tales worth telling, that is.

Is the Codex aware of this?

made

Arcane
So a George Ziets pulls a $100k salary for a project like this, huh? I wonder what a celeb like MCA's gonna set aside for himself.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So a George Ziets pulls a $100k salary for a project like this, huh? I wonder what a celeb like MCA's gonna set aside for himself.
Well, not quite,
The money raised for the stretch goals doesn't all go to the development of that stretch goal. Any additional funds that we raise will be used to have additional people work on the project, such as area designers, programmers, and artists. All of these fine people will make the game's story larger and improves the quality of the game.

Wonder what ace they got left under the sleeve, Ziets at 2.8 is safe, the game should reach $3m without the end-of-kickstarter spike, but if they have some good stuff left to announce (Justin?) then they have a good chance of beating the point-and-click adventure with say +- $3.5m.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/380137287784100761

GZiets
do you get the entire .2 mil dedicated to you in the stretch goal? if you do will you get it in singles and swim in it like scrooge mcduck?

I like the way you think. Forwarding this question to Feargus...

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He's planning on defrauding the entire KS fund. All the trolls drawn for the Codex will have Hawaiian shirts, straw hats and margaritas, all sent from an undisclosed tropical location.

EDIT: What can change the nature of a man? $2.8M, apparently...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Josh Sawyer said:
Josh: Yeah, yeah! ”They probably don’t like any of this stuff so why don’t we keep the stuff people really like and ditch the stuff they didn’t like.” And again it really seemed as though they paid attention to the people that really wanted to like the game instead of the people that hated it. I don’t want to name names, but I can think of other games where it’s a new IP. It does modestly well and I don’t know if it’s the developer or publisher, but they come to all these weird conclusions and change these things that cause the people that liked it to hate it.
I wonder what game he could possibly be talking about... :smug:

Really good interview. Lots of interesting stuff about the game design process, Project Eternity, and various other topics. Worth a read.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/10/10/interview-josh-sawyer/

This is a new interview with Josh with some very interesting insights about Obsidian and they way they look and approach things. Also quite a bit of discussions on Publishers as well. This was a very interesting read.

That was a very good interview and interviewer came across as a bro, maybe he's secret codexian :salute:

:lol: yeah no shit. Someone who actually has SOME basic knowledge of cRPG's asking decent questions.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Josh Sawyer said:
Josh: Yeah, yeah! ”They probably don’t like any of this stuff so why don’t we keep the stuff people really like and ditch the stuff they didn’t like.” And again it really seemed as though they paid attention to the people that really wanted to like the game instead of the people that hated it. I don’t want to name names, but I can think of other games where it’s a new IP. It does modestly well and I don’t know if it’s the developer or publisher, but they come to all these weird conclusions and change these things that cause the people that liked it to hate it.
I wonder what game he could possibly be talking about... :smug:

Really good interview. Lots of interesting stuff about the game design process, Project Eternity, and various other topics. Worth a read.
I could think of dozens of examples. Are you implying Dragon Age?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
From my perceptive, and I think this is an Obsidian thing overall, is we want people to feel as though they have control over their character. Not just mechanically, but also who they are in the story. Their personality and how they portray themselves is not only something they can express, but that the game reacts to in a believable manner. I think Alpha Protocol excelled at this. You can play the game as a huge jackass, you can be very professional, you can be chill, you can be flirty, you can do all these things, and there are trade-offs for all of it. There’s a lot of relationships to navigate and they’re all influenced by the kind of person you’re playing as and the things you do. That’s very important to me in an RPG. Even if you’re playing a character that’s rather predefined like Michael Thorton is in Alpha Protocol you get to decide who he is. And that’s something we try to put into our games as much as possible. It’s really about choice and consequence and how it plays out. There are plenty of games that have loot, or advancement systems, or cool writing, but they’re not RPGs. It isn’t common to see a game where you’re not just playing a game that allows you to be something different mechanically, but you’re able to be a different person and the story reacts to that.

You can impregnate my sister anytime J.E. Sawyer.

Murk

Arcane
If you say so pleb.

Now now Roguey, you can make friends without resorting to name-calling.

Mieville>Tolkien.

True, especially when he's not on full-blast retard mode. TIME. GOLEM. ACCTTTIIVVAAATTTEEEE.

But just because he's more interesting than the most stock and typical of fantasy doesn't mean you can't have decent fantasy that takes basic tropes and does something interesting with them. Still, I don't ever want to read another page of a man having sex with a head-beetle ever again.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
True, especially when he's not on full-blast retard mode. TIME. GOLEM. ACCTTTIIVVAAATTTEEEE.

But just because he's more interesting than the most stock and typical of fantasy doesn't mean you can't have decent fantasy that takes basic tropes and does something interesting with them. Still, I don't ever want to read another page of a man having sex with a head-beetle ever again.

Now that's not fair, Iron Council is the weakest Bas Lag novel. And no man ever had sex with a head beetle in the books.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Now that's not fair, Iron Council is the weakest Bas Lag novel. And no man ever had sex with a head beetle in the books.

Yeah, and it's quite a cheap way of dismissing the world-building because of one scene you find icky. But I guess fantasy fans don't have high standards by definition.

Murk

Arcane
Perdido Street Station, Isaac and Lin. They definitely kiss, perhaps there's no description of the penetration but you know what happens; and I know for sure she describes laying still to let her scarab male (siblings? compatriots?) basically mate with her head beetle in what is described as a painful and disgusting act. Awesome. Anthropo-chimerical-insectoid incest rape. My favorite.

I wanted to like The Scar more than Iron Council but it just didn't happen, probably because I couldn't get behind his boner-laden descriptions of Uther Doul.

His best book, IMO, is The City and The City, which is not Bas-Lag.

Yeah, and it's quite a cheap way of dismissing the world-building because of one scene you find icky. But I guess fantasy fans don't have high standards by definition.

Hardly. I've read all the Bas-Lag books, my dislike of the books comes not from one scene or finding it icky, but because I think he goes for shock-value and novelty over actual quality. Novelty has its place, but if its done only for the sake of novelty and no real depth or substance then I dismiss it the same way I dismiss dual-wielding drow rangers who happen to, somehow, be chaotic good.

Hahaha "You don't like what I like, you have low standards!" Yeah dude, makes perfect sense there.

Murk

Arcane
People can start from humble origins and overcome that starting shame.

Look how all humans are female in the womb, and only males overcome such adversity with the development of testes.

Ahh yes, modern science truly is a marvel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom