Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Asked Josh on Formspring to explain the chanting system like he did the Wizard spellcasting. Hopefully he'll reply so people don't find more reasons to ragequit.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whether they regen or not is part of how they work. So no, we don't know that either. Unless Roguey has seen something that I missed.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I've been wandering the ravaged wilderness of the rpg for years, to the point that DAO made me get all giddy when i first heard about it...if this game is real and they deliver on what they are promising (IE greatness), then I will gobble that cooldown auto regen shit as if were 5 star gourmet.

I'm gonna be fucking stroking it as i hit F5 for the next year and a half.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Oh yeah and all this excitement over Ziets is funny because you're all expecting MotB Ziets when it's far more likely we're getting Dungeon Siege III Ziets. Forget it Jake, it's Dullsville.

When you have the entire Obsidian Design Team working together on a project that is a type of game they LOVE to make, an entire universe they themselves are making with no limitation but their own, do I want Mr. Ziets thrown into that mix? Are you fucking kidding me? HELL YES.

Entire universe they are making with Dwarves, elves and Gnomes? That sounds so innovative!

Just like the world of Mask of the Betrayer?

r00fles!

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
It takes a bunch of people to write for all the different areas and characters. No one of them is going to be doing a majority of the work. I would hate to be Sawyer when he has to kill their babies in editing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm all for hoping this'll be great but let's be honest, they could have gone with a billion more interesting worlds than high fantasy with the freedom they had. How about an IE-style game in...

* hard sci-fi setting
* steam/diesel/cyberpunk
* Japanese spirit world (think Spirited Away)
* low-magic real-world middle-ages with fantastic liberties, think Darklands

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
What they (and hopefully Ziets if they make the 2.8M) decide to do with the CULTURES and and people and various races interest me more. Look at what they pulled off with the boringtired D&D Faerun world. ;)

Captain Shrek

What they (and hopefully Ziets if they make the 2.8M) decide to do with the CULTURES and and people and various races interest me more. Look at what they pulled off with the boringtired D&D Faerun world. ;)
Had nothing to do with the setting. It was an NWN2 game. They had to use the setting. This time they had a chance of doing something new. This argument is no longer useful and I can no longer contribute to it.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Maybe they'll try a riskier setting and more new stuff with future kickstarter projects if PE is successful. They seem to be playing it pretty safe with this one even if they do change some of the culture stuff with the established races.

Personally, I'd like to see some new races and classes with different mechanics in games. Instead of the same old races and classes we get 90% of the time. Seems like people are too afraid to deviate from the whole elf, dwarf and orc races in fantasy games.

almondblight

Arcane
I'm all for hoping this'll be great but let's be honest, they could have gone with a billion more interesting worlds than high fantasy with the freedom they had. How about an IE-style game in...

* hard sci-fi setting
* steam/diesel/cyberpunk
* Japanese spirit world (think Spirited Away)
* low-magic real-world middle-ages with fantastic liberties, think Darklands

I can't think of any "fantasy world 1492" type settings. Seems more unique than the horribly overused steam punk at least. Also, attempting to explain magic and influence people's understanding of science, religion, and philosophy is definitely good stuff.

Cynic

Arcane
Of course they are going with a bland setting just like Dragon Age because it is MUCH easier to market and get jewgolds from. FFS. If they had done a space jammer game, where would the Biofags fit in?

While they may do interesting things inside the world, the setting IS bland. It feels a lot like Dungeons Siege 3 at the moment honestly.

Murk

Arcane
Having an arbitrarily novel setting doesn't make it good -- just look at some of the ridiculous shit Mieville coughs up in his Bas-Lag books. In that case, I'll talk grumpy dwarves and art-majoring elves over breast-having cactus men and beetle headed brown ladies any day of the week.

Cynic

Arcane
Having an arbitrarily novel setting doesn't make it good -- just look at some of the ridiculous shit Mieville coughs up in his Bas-Lag books. In that case, I'll talk grumpy dwarves and art-majoring elves over breast-having cactus men and beetle headed brown ladies any day of the week.

This is also very true.

almondblight

Arcane
He has a very informative formspring.

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets

I think the key is moderation. RPGs should provide a balance of combat and other activities, and players should have a variety of ways to solve any given problem. To me, choice is the defining element of an RPG - not just in narrative, but in gameplay style too. Well-designed combat can be a lot of fun, but it’s the *only* solution to every problem, or if it becomes the sole focus of the game, I don’t really feel like I’m playing an RPG.

Sounds like a Codexer. Hell, this sounds exactly like the stuff that people complain about Codexers for.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wants to be an anthropomorphic rabbit in a videogame, likes choices & consequences and doesn't like overuse of voice-acting because it reduces the amount of dialogue in a game.

Come on, who of you is Ziets? Don't be shy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
There is a very cool chart that breaks down pledges per day and a number of other things here. For those of us that like NUMBERS EVERYWHERE! (note the number of different tabs for other info too just FYI). Data is however based on kicktraq.

In the first day it made more than Double Fines AND WL2 combined.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Project Eternity is making me feel like....

Chris-Avellone-metal.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what the hell is that sign he's doing anyway.
let the master show you how to throw the horns:
05-16-Feature-Summer-Concert-Guide-Heaven-and-Hell-03-Daniel-Elliott.jpg

MCA
It's because he knows stuff and he's not telling us. :(

Why should you get lumped in with all the other race traitors who gave $250 to support this game if it's good? You should get your own tag that has something to do with being a faithless dumbass if this game is good. :D

It was a provocation and because I am certain that the screenshot will suck donkey balls so I know I never would end up having to fulfill that promise.

Otherwise, I never contested whether the game will be good. It will quite likely have a good number of good qualities that I will enjoy and rate the game highly. Maybe it will even land in my top 10. Who knows? I have only been saying that it will also have a number of features that I despise and that it is kind of sad that a low budget indie DA:O in a setting that will be an underrealised derivative of Forgotten Realms is what they go back crawling to when left to their own devices with complete creative freedom. I guess they have been stuck far too long in their comfort zone to try something different or more likely, they are just this banal.

And I have absolutely no inclination to support shit like that. I've had enough Crap Time with Pause and fucking elves to last several fucking lives, even if it is otherwise a brilliant game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom