Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Murk

Arcane
Definitely a true bro.

Even if he joins, how much influence would he have over the game? His views in regards to what RPGs should have, do, and how things should function are 1:1 with my own and what I believe most here want; I would hope he would have a lot of influence.

I'm betting that the game won't look half as good¹ as Chaos Chronicles does at its current stage. In fact, it will most likely look like utter crap. I know; early stage and everything but hey: you get measured on what you show. If they feel confident enough about showing a screenshot this early, it better be good. And after all, Chaos Chronicles is also WIP.

In fact, I am so certain of this, I promise self-sacrifice to become a an hero martyr
race_title.png
if the screenshot turns out to be as good or at least as promising². But since that won't happen, here's what I predict: a shitty 2D background that looks like vomit in colourful kiddy fantasy style with 3D characters sticking out like sore thumbs.

²: by my own standards :troll:
¹: in before Jaesun makes butthurt comparisons to the WL2 screenshot :smug:

George Ziets, Paladins (and not the mediocre healer, mediocre tank variety either thank fuck) and non-musical Bards. P. good update. Very close to upping my pledge.

If what they mean by "stringing together magical effects for prolonged periods" means something along the lines of "prepare spell-chains in advance and unleash them" that could lead to seriously interesting gameplay as you attempt to anticipate the needs of the coming encounter and shit goes badly when you chain 3x Ice Blast against the White Dragon diving at you!

Would be cool to see something like that.

That would be about the most fucking cool thing to do with magic in any CRPG.

And that is why it won't happen. Obsidian doesn't seem to be into tactical preparations like that, what with Sawyer wanting to turn mages into spammers of spells.
That's actually exactly what Sawyer means.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...ladins-add-ons-rewards-and-more/page__st__100

bussinrounds

Augur
I have a feeling they won't use him as a stretch goal, he's not well known enough for that imho. I think they'll just annouce him as an added bonus.
Guess I was wrong.M:

Biodrone said:
New update. 2.7 million brings the Paladin and Chanter classes. 2.8 million brings George Ziets in as a writer. Couldn't care less about the additional writer, but I really hope that it hits the 2.7 million mark (the paladin class sounds awesome!)

:what:
At least he said he never played it, so he was just being naive. Better than this Bethtard - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.390632-New-stretch-goal-for-Project-Eternity-George-Ziets-of-Mask-of-the-Betrayer#15701172

MCA
If what they mean by "stringing together magical effects for prolonged periods" means something along the lines of "prepare spell-chains in advance and unleash them" that could lead to seriously interesting gameplay as you attempt to anticipate the needs of the coming encounter and shit goes badly when you chain 3x Ice Blast against the White Dragon diving at you!

Would be cool to see something like that.

That would be about the most fucking cool thing to do with magic in any CRPG.

And that is why it won't happen. Obsidian doesn't seem to be into tactical preparations like that, what with Sawyer wanting to turn mages into spammers of spells.
That's actually exactly what Sawyer means.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...ladins-add-ons-rewards-and-more/page__st__100

Sawyer said:

Genuinely surprised here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
-If I have to put with another Gannayev of Dreams, who is probably the most Emo character ever, putting even Shinji from Evangelion to shame in terms of sheer emo, I don't think I will play it.
-and lets not forget Kaelyn the Dove, the most steriotypical "white knight so focused on her goals she blind to the actions around her" character
Those are both Avellone characters. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=188#post408370925

Josh Sawyer said:
With paladins and chanters I sort of went back to the "original" conception of the paladin and bard terms. In the case of the paladin, it comes from Roland and the Twelve Peers. They were Christians fighting Saracens, but they were ultimately elite vassals of Charlemagne. In the Song of Roland they're larger than life figures who are fighting at the rear guard of an army, killing a few thousands dudes and their horses every other paragraph.

I didn't think it was necessary for them to be "Lawful Good" or Christianishy in Project Eternity, but I did think that they should have that same level of single-minded purpose and selflessness even if they weren't religious. Mechanically, they may end up feeling somewhat similar to Marshals from 3.5E.

"Bard" is a Gaelic/Brythonic term and it didn't seem to fit with the OE and Romance-inspired words we've used. Also, even though bards were originally less (if at all) about music and more about poetry, to many people, bard = music. So the chanter is a step back from that, back to the idea of the magical storyteller. But they still have a similar "jack-of-all trades" flexible role like the A/D&D bard classes have traditionally had. It was important to me to make their magic sound and feel different, both conceptually and mechanically.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"They do not understand that a quality writer is an important quality."

Obsidian already has Avellone. Just gonna dilute things. Anyways, no complaint about Ziets as he's a cool dude who helped make the awesome MOTB.

That said, it's a dumb stretch goal (even thoguh theya re gonna make it). I'd fukkin' laugh if they made it 2.79 and they had to tell Ziets to GTFO you unemployed bum! L0L does anyone REALLY believe they would do tha? I mean FFS. Ziets was as good as hired anyways.

Paladins and Chanters. Ehh.. I'm glad paladins are in just to see the ccrybabies cry about how a high fantasy game baed onn traditional DnD added another high fantasy trope. LMAO The butthurt.. is.. FUKKIN' AMAZIN'!

Lord Andre

Arcane
I do not believe the chanter will be a sequencer expert of mage spells. That would be too op and hard to pull off in a cooldown system.

However I think Josh has in mind something akin to the warlock mechanic (nwn2) where you could choose and add side-effects to a base ability (in that case, rays). Still better than clasic bard instrument magic so :incline: on this one.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Sawyer goes and I withdraw my pledge. No way I want Tim Can't and Chris Fagellone running rampant on my game.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

If this site still allowed me to Brofist things, you'd get a Brofist from me and each of my 20 alts :bro:

Captain Shrek

-If I have to put with another Gannayev of Dreams, who is probably the most Emo character ever, putting even Shinji from Evangelion to shame in terms of sheer emo, I don't think I will play it.
-and lets not forget Kaelyn the Dove, the most steriotypical "white knight so focused on her goals she blind to the actions around her" character
Those are both Avellone characters. :lol:
Both of them were great chars except not entirely explained.

MCA
That said, it's a dumb stretch goal (even thoguh theya re gonna make it). I'd fukkin' laugh if they made it 2.79 and they had to tell Ziets to GTFO you unemployed bum! L0L does anyone REALLY believe they would do tha? I mean FFS. Ziets was as good as hired anyways.

This made me laugh out loud.

Paladins and Chanters. Ehh.. I'm glad paladins are in just to see the ccrybabies cry about how a high fantasy game baed onn traditional DnD added another high fantasy trope. LMAO The butthurt.. is.. FUKKIN' AMAZIN'!

I have always had a disdain for the DND conception of Paladins but this version of a Paladin class, removed from divine dependence or religion and fit into a zealous ideology sounds really good to me. It might turn out to be the first time I may appreciate the Paladin class.

Captain Shrek

Can some one explain this spell chain thing to me. Sounds a bit confusing:

Is it like preparing the cast order in advance? Because that does not matter when you have insta regen outside of combat (before combat). Since you will reload and make even more powerful chains that will trivialize the encounter.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Can some one explain this spell chain thing to me. Sounds a bit confusing:

Is it like preparing the cast order in advance? Because that does not matter when you have insta regen outside of combat (before combat). Since you will reload and make even more powerful chains that will trivialize the encounter.

However I think Josh has in mind something akin to the warlock mechanic (nwn2) where you could choose and add side-effects to a base ability (in that case, rays).

This is what my intuition tells me. Could be wrong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Blind men feeling up an elephant.

Oh yeah and all this excitement over Ziets is funny because you're all expecting MotB Ziets when it's far more likely we're getting Dungeon Siege III Ziets. Forget it Jake, it's Dullsville.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're not spells, they're chants. We don't know how they will work.

Blind men feeling up an elephant.

Oh yeah and all this excitement over Ziets is funny because you're all expecting MotB Ziets when it's far more likely we're getting Dungeon Siege III Ziets. Forget it Jake, it's Dullsville.
You're just jealous that he's stealing Josh's limelight.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Never really got the AD&D Palladin as a separate class. I mean, dude swings sword, is really devoted (dumb), some low-level spells and, well, that's it. The same with Barbarian - dude swings sword, is really dumb (devoted), some ladditional damage/resistance from frenzy.

I would trade both classes for something unique (e.g. cypher). For example - an Engineer (proficient with guns etc.) would be a nice add-on.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

When you have the entire Obsidian Design Team working together on a project that is a type of game they LOVE to make, an entire universe they themselves are making with no limitation but their own, do I want Mr. Ziets thrown into that mix? Are you fucking kidding me? HELL YES.

Cynic

Arcane
Decent update. He's big upping the screenshot a lot. Better be good.

Grimlorn

Arcane
And Anthony Davis suddenly disappeared...

Somebody's not telling something. :smug:

I have been wondering that to...........
It's because he knows stuff and he's not telling us. :(

In fact, I am so certain of this, I promise self-sacrifice to become a an hero martyr
race_title.png
if the screenshot turns out to be as good or at least as promising². But since that won't happen, here's what I predict: a shitty 2D background that looks like vomit in colourful kiddy fantasy style with 3D characters sticking out like sore thumbs.
Why should you get lumped in with all the other race traitors who gave $250 to support this game if it's good? You should get your own tag that has something to do with being a faithless dumbass if this game is good. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom