Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
George Ziets......

dcypvm.jpg

+

16jlagk.jpg

=

2igi33t.png

WTF ?!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
they should have changed those stretch goals - FIRST ziets, then fags paladins! :x

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Storyfags gonna storyfag: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...ns-rewards-and-more/page__st__40#entry1231860

I will be the discordant voice here...

While I am happy that Obsidian considers adding to its design team a valuable and experienced designer (and for that reason, I wish we will reach the 2.8M), I am more wary (to say the least) toward the addition of two new classes.

New classes... again... Once again, the stretch goals unveiled are only about mechanisms, old school features, instead of offering story and exploration oriented features : increased world size, new city, new questlines...

I know that story remains a key objective of PE. Nevertheless, how does it come that Obsidian prefers to focus its communication and its aims regarding the develoment of the game on mechanics ?

There were able to offer very story oriented features in former updates : look at sretch goals 1.6M and 2.2M. I wish Obsidian would offer new updates like these ones. After all, wasn't the Shadowrun Returns additional city stretch goal one of the most exciting offered by this project ?

Based on previous comments on this update, it looks like adding new classes generate quite an appeal in the community. Yet, I think there are many people that would love to have more story oriented stretch goals. I do not blame Obsidian for adding some mechanism related stretch goals, I reproach them to do ONLY mechanism related goals.

So I hope we will be able to add Mr Ziets to the team, but I also wish for story oriented stretch goals. Maybe a 3M USD new goal ?

It's this new breed of MMOfags, I tell ya. They are all obsessed with being able to beat any 1v1 PvP scenario against anyone with any class. This has lead them to believe that every class should be equal in every way, aka tanky support dps.

I did not mean a balance of the skill classes to be equal but making the classes special enough, yet at the same time not overpowering them to make the game more enjoyable. That way, it will not be a roflstomp if you hired 5 barbarians or all spellcasters if you knew that they were just too good.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Announcing Jason Manley as a stretch goal for 3 million and showing just one of his painted portraits from Icewind Dale would quadruple the funding speed.

He stopped painting years ago.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
AD&D and D&D 3.0/.5 wouldn't be nearly as fun if the classes were balanced. Part of being a Wizard is enduring shitty, shitty low levels and part of being a Fighter is being not nearly as strong later on, but the reliable workhorse everyone is ready to put their faith into.

Balance is a myth; even in fighting games. If they made a fighting game with 8 characters that were all perfectly balanced- then all those characters would be the same character.

grotsnik

Arcane
I guess George's return feels like a welcome gesture not just because MotB was good, but because it managed to find a space for the weird and the eerie and the genuinely inventive in a series and a universe that at times had pretty much epitomised generic by-the-numbers heroic fantasy. He seems to have that sort of odd, offbeat sensibility that could really benefit this kind of game's tone, and it'll be interesting to see him use that on another setting that isn't Dungeon Siege 3.

And then...

GZ= Original settings are under-used in games. Or to be more precise - original settings that are not clones of existing IPs.

My favorite games take me somewhere I’ve never been before - whether that place is fictional, as in Planescape: Torment, or inspired by real life. (And of course, even a game that is set in the “real world” can incorporate supernatural elements.) As a designer, setting my game in a new or original setting is a source of creative inspiration, especially if it requires me to learn about something that’s unfamiliar to me. Creativity is all about new and unexpected connections.

For example, think of all the world mythologies that could be used to inspire an interesting setting - e.g., the various African cultures and mythologies, Indian mythology (which is full of colorful creatures and characters), Central or South American, Southeast Asian, Polynesian, etc. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one game that used a central African setting (Quest for Glory III), one that used a Polynesian setting (Mark of Kri), only a few that were inspired by Central or South American mythology (e.g., Grim Fandango), and none that heavily borrowed from the others (I could be forgetting or unaware of some). But the games that did use largely-untapped mythologies were often among my favorites.

I would also love to see more games that are based on real-world historical periods, apart from the European Middle Ages. Central and Eastern Europe in the 16th to 18th Centuries were full of interesting conflicts, not to mention superstitions and mythologies, that could inspire both narrative and gameplay. I also think a game set in the Ottoman Empire of the 18th or 19th Century (think: the setting of James Goodwin‘s Yashim the Detective novels) or during the French Revolution could be a lot of fun, but there are tons of other historical settings that could be equally compelling.

Another setting that I think is underused is “real” science fiction. Most scifi games are actually space fantasy, like Star Wars. Mass Effect pays lip service to some actual or predicted technologies, and it includes Earth, but it still feels like a collection of space fantasy tropes. I’d like to see a game that projected technological trends two or three hundred years into the future and based its gameplay and narrative around what *could* really happen. Obviously, these projections would be exaggerated for the sake of fun, but I think a scifi game could be far more surprising and interesting if it was based on “real” projective science fiction than the usual conglomeration of jump gates, “the force,” insectoid aliens, etc.

:salute:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
George Ziets, Paladins (and not the mediocre healer, mediocre tank variety either thank fuck) and non-musical Bards. P. good update. Very close to upping my pledge.

If what they mean by "stringing together magical effects for prolonged periods" means something along the lines of "prepare spell-chains in advance and unleash them" that could lead to seriously interesting gameplay as you attempt to anticipate the needs of the coming encounter and shit goes badly when you chain 3x Ice Blast against the White Dragon diving at you!

Would be cool to see something like that.
I think it's going to be mainly group buffs or debuffs.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
George Zeits said:
I would also love to see more games that are based on real-world historical periods, apart from the European Middle Ages. Central and Eastern Europe in the 16th to 18th Centuries were full of interesting conflicts, not to mention superstitions and mythologies, that could inspire both narrative and gameplay. I also think a game set in the Ottoman Empire of the 18th or 19th Century (think: the setting of James Goodwin‘s Yashim the Detective novels) or during the French Revolution could be a lot of fun, but there are tons of other historical settings that could be equally compelling.
Another setting that I think is underused is “real” science fiction. Most scifi games are actually space fantasy, like Star Wars. Mass Effect pays lip service to some actual or predicted technologies, and it includes Earth, but it still feels like a collection of space fantasy tropes. I’d like to see a game that projected technological trends two or three hundred years into the future and based its gameplay and narrative around what *could* really happen.

My god, Zeits actually said this? :salute: Fuck me, I'm upping my pledge. He's one of us, guys.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
George Ziets, Paladins (and not the mediocre healer, mediocre tank variety either thank fuck) and non-musical Bards. P. good update. Very close to upping my pledge.

If what they mean by "stringing together magical effects for prolonged periods" means something along the lines of "prepare spell-chains in advance and unleash them" that could lead to seriously interesting gameplay as you attempt to anticipate the needs of the coming encounter and shit goes badly when you chain 3x Ice Blast against the White Dragon diving at you!

Would be cool to see something like that.
I think it's going to be mainly group buffs or debuffs.

You're probably quite right, I was just free-wheeling.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
AD&D and D&D 3.0/.5 wouldn't be nearly as fun if the classes were balanced. Part of being a Wizard is enduring shitty, shitty low levels and part of being a Fighter is being not nearly as strong later on, but the reliable workhorse everyone is ready to put their faith into.

Balance is a myth; even in fighting games. If they made a fighting game with 8 characters that were all perfectly balanced- then all those characters would be the same character.

:salute:

jewboy

Arbiter
Speaking of Wasteland 2, Obsidian is really hogging the few decent game designers out there.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
George Ziets said:
Another setting that I think is underused is “real” science fiction. Most scifi games are actually space fantasy, like Star Wars. Mass Effect pays lip service to some actual or predicted technologies, and it includes Earth, but it still feels like a collection of space fantasy tropes. I’d like to see a game that projected technological trends two or three hundred years into the future and based its gameplay and narrative around what *could* really happen.

My god, Ziets actually said this? :salute: Fuck me, I'm upping my pledge. He's one of us, guys.
He has a very informative formspring.

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
George Ziets said:

My god, Ziets actually said this? :salute: Fuck me, I'm upping my pledge. He's one of us, guys.

What video games do you think have had the best voice acting?
Goerge Ziets said:
I can’t think of many games with overall VO performances that seriously impressed me. Off the top of my head, I’d say that Portal and Bioshock were pretty well done.

To be honest, I am not a fan of the VO in most games. It tends to be uneven in quality – main characters are *usually* decent, but side quest guys are almost always hit-or-miss. I miss the days when full VO was not an expectation for AAA titles and VO could be reserved for the critical plot moments or key emotional scenes where voice actors can really shine.

VO is also not well suited to the way dialogue is presented in most RPGs – i.e., talktrees with a lot of Q&A. There just aren’t enough opportunities for actors to emotionally connect with a scene when answering questions about dwarven history (or whatever), so a lot of the VO comes across as flat and boring. I could talk more about how VO dialogue *should* be done, but that’s a separate topic, and I’m generally in agreement with Josh Sawyer, if you’re familiar with his views.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
George Ziets said:

What video games do you think have had the best voice acting?
Goerge Ziets said:
I can’t think of many games with overall VO performances that seriously impressed me. Off the top of my head, I’d say that Portal and Bioshock were pretty well done.

To be honest, I am not a fan of the VO in most games. It tends to be uneven in quality – main characters are *usually* decent, but side quest guys are almost always hit-or-miss. I miss the days when full VO was not an expectation for AAA titles and VO could be reserved for the critical plot moments or key emotional scenes where voice actors can really shine.

VO is also not well suited to the way dialogue is presented in most RPGs – i.e., talktrees with a lot of Q&A. There just aren’t enough opportunities for actors to emotionally connect with a scene when answering questions about dwarven history (or whatever), so a lot of the VO comes across as flat and boring. I could talk more about how VO dialogue *should* be done, but that’s a separate topic, and I’m generally in agreement with Josh Sawyer, if you’re familiar with his views.

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

GOOBLE GOBBLE! GOOBLE GOBBLE! ONE OF US! GOOBLE GOBBLE! GOOBLE GOBBLE! ONE OF US!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

If Obsidian gets enough funding will you finally return to the team?
George Ziets said:
If not as a designer, then definitely as an anthropomorphic rabbit companion.

No wonder I like this guy, we have the same fursona!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
George Zeits said:
Some of my goals for MotB:

Create a personal story set against a backdrop of much larger events, where the characters’ motivations were human and believable.

Set up the PC as a stranger in a strange land, so that players would have a sense of curiosity and discovery that (in my opinion) would never happen on the Sword Coast.

Give the player a curse that 1) gave them tremendous power, and 2) made them a social pariah and could ultimately kill them (so that all players, regardless of alignment, would be motivated to resolve the central storyline).

Explore themes of dreams and hidden realities, of the world being different than it seems on the surface.

Portray an “impossible” struggle against perceived injustice, explore the roots of that struggle (which were not as idealistic as they initially seemed), and drop the player into the middle of the conflict.

Create a story where none of the (human) villains were actually evil.

:salute: Yeah, I'm gobbling this up

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Storyfags gonna storyfag: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...ns-rewards-and-more/page__st__40#entry1231860

I will be the discordant voice here...

While I am happy that Obsidian considers adding to its design team a valuable and experienced designer (and for that reason, I wish we will reach the 2.8M), I am more wary (to say the least) toward the addition of two new classes.

New classes... again... Once again, the stretch goals unveiled are only about mechanisms, old school features, instead of offering story and exploration oriented features : increased world size, new city, new questlines...

I know that story remains a key objective of PE. Nevertheless, how does it come that Obsidian prefers to focus its communication and its aims regarding the develoment of the game on mechanics ?

There were able to offer very story oriented features in former updates : look at sretch goals 1.6M and 2.2M. I wish Obsidian would offer new updates like these ones. After all, wasn't the Shadowrun Returns additional city stretch goal one of the most exciting offered by this project ?

Based on previous comments on this update, it looks like adding new classes generate quite an appeal in the community. Yet, I think there are many people that would love to have more story oriented stretch goals. I do not blame Obsidian for adding some mechanism related stretch goals, I reproach them to do ONLY mechanism related goals.

So I hope we will be able to add Mr Ziets to the team, but I also wish for story oriented stretch goals. Maybe a 3M USD new goal ?

Once again, you can't make this shit up.

Captain Shrek

The story is going to be great! :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom