Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
dat

update

screenshot = :bounce:

Esquilax

Arcane
Very nice picture! I would absolutely love another big city as well, although I'm also doubting the feasibility of reaching 3.5M.

Well, they've managed to outpace Double Fine's project so far, so I think it's definitely doable. Infinitron, do you have a graph that's recent to comapare?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very nice picture! I would absolutely love another big city as well, although I'm also doubting the feasibility of reaching 3.5M.

Well, they've managed to outpace Double Fine's project so far, so I think it's definitely doable. Infinitron, do you have a graph that's recent to comapare?

Wait for tomorrow so there's something to actually graph.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder, is the Dyrwood vs Readceras war a fantasy version of the Thirty Years War? Sawyer loves his kraut history.

Murk

Arcane
If they can guarantee that every location will look 75% that good throughout, I think I'll play the game for visuals alone. That looks absolutely gorgeous -- the statues alone are amazing.

I am not sure what the scale of character to environment is, otherwise the bridge looks a bit snug to the point of characters "single-filing" through, but that is hardly a complain worth worrying about unless collision/path-finding is atrocious (like... fucking... ToEE level atrocious).

Overall, :citizenkaneclap:

bminorkey

My earlier complaints aside, that screenshot looks great. Not just in terms of...looking great, the style is also unique and promising, not the GRIMDARK CATER 2 COD PLAYERS I was fearing, which possibly reflects on the rest of the game as well. I'm more enthusiastic now.

MCA
Looks like shit. Just a still life. And the angle of tilt is all wrong. It's way too level. Should have been from higher up.

It's a decent concept art but once 3D models populate the screen, it will look like utter crap.

Looks like shit. Just a still life. And the angle of tilt is all wrong. It's way too level. Should have been from higher up.

It's a decent concept art but once 3D models populate the screen, it will look like utter crap.
:lol: Troll's gotta troll.. It could look bad it could not, we won't know until the next screen.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
PE-TempleEntrance01-1920x1080.jpg

Praise_f5e992_796049.gif

Murk

Arcane
It looks like how Kult looked, but more detailed.

I'm fucking sold on its visuals unless this is the one-in-a-thousand shots that look that good and the rest looks like shit.

Based on the size of the boats and tents my guess is that particular area is actually something like 4-6 screens' worth of space and that you will have to pan around to see it all (or have a ridiculous resolution) which alleviates some of my fears of scale.

MCA
:lol: Troll's gotta troll.. It could look bad it could not, we won't know until the next screen.

Troll? For fuck's sake. Look at IE games:

sgateiishadowsofamn3.jpg

sgateiithroneofbhaal2.jpg

39607_full.jpg

Baldur-s-Gate-II-Shadows-of-Amn_5.jpg

icewind-dale-ii-screenshot-3.jpg

Notice how you view the scene from a high level, giving you a nice and easily digestable view of the environment. And even then, stuff was occasionally obstructed behind other stuff which was quite annoying. Now look at this piece of shit:

PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

I admit, it's beautiful to look at but that's no background to play a game on. Especially in environments with buildings and other stuff around, it will be fucking nightmare from this angle. Worse with combat itself. Enjoy your popamole pixel hunt.

Use your brain when you are done drooling over a piece of concept art passing as a screenshot.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Troll? For fuck's sake. Look at IE games:

Notice how you view the scene from a high level, giving you a nice and easily digestable view of the environment. And even then, stuff was occasionally obstructed behind other stuff which was quite annoying. Now look at this piece of shit:

PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

I admit, it's beautiful to look at but that's no background to play a game on. Especially in environments with buildings and other stuff around, it will be fucking nightmare from this angle. Worse with combat itself. Enjoy your popamole pixel hunt.

Use your brain when you are done drooling over a piece of concept art passing as a screenshot.

It's tough playing Cassandra, isn't it? WHY DON'T THEY BELIEVE?!?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It is true the perspective is a little bit off in that picture, I actually had a hard time at first "parsing" it - the broken bridge seems to tilt upward, while the foreground, and especially the entrance to the cave, is almost seen from the side.

BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER:
- This is NOT a screenshot but a background concept art! It's not an ingame image! It's an indication of where the game is going.
- It has the Baldur's Gate vibe, and it feels good!
- It looks wonderful in all its 2D glory.

I think they chose a lower viewpoint to be able to show more things, and less terrain, in order to create a more impressive picture. It's a great concept piece.

I would have never thought to see such a thing in 2012 from a mainstream developer! Excellent work, great update.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Upgraded to $50 tier + $20 for expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom