Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

th_dfekd4.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I admit, it's beautiful to look at but that's no background to play a game on.

Other than looking at them, what are you usually doing with images?

In games you usually play on them.
Myeah, anyway, I'm almost tempted to fall for the graphic whore inside of me and pledge. Unfortunately I've spent too much on medical bills these past days so I guess I can keep my dignity. :smug:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Well, they may serve as game backgrounds, as is the intention of this game. I think they overdid a little by calling this a "screenshot", they should have said it's a background concept artwork. I also have a hard time imagining isometric sprites walking around there, I have Escher-Prosperian geometrical visions. Just look how the upper bridge is almost isometric, and the entrance to the cave could have been in a side-scrolling game.

But it's good shit, they are doing marketing, but deserve every pledge they get.

bminorkey

I'm probably gonna pledge 25$ or so if they keep in this direction.

Also, Project Eternity: a contemporary perspective on differential geometry in games general.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just upped my pledge to 40$ durras for the expansion... pasta and ketchup for the rest of the month it is.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Well, they may serve as game backgrounds, as is the intention of this game. I think they overdid a little by calling this a "screenshot", they should have said it's a background concept artwork. I also have a hard time imagining isometric sprites walking around there, I have Escher-Prosperian geometrical visions. Just look how the upper bridge is almost isometric, and the entrance to the cave could have been in a side-scrolling game.

But it's good shit, they are doing marketing, but deserve every pledge they get.

It's not really *concept art*. Sawyer mentions in the video that it's a pre-rendered background. So, it will most likely actually look like this ingame (Ofc, probably other perspective)

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
massive incline of my erection...

all this concept art tells us is the direction they want to take with the visuals in this game, and frankly, I'm super 'cited.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Troll? For fuck's sake. Look at IE games:

Notice how you view the scene from a high level, giving you a nice and easily digestable view of the environment. And even then, stuff was occasionally obstructed behind other stuff which was quite annoying. Now look at this piece of shit:

I admit, it's beautiful to look at but that's no background to play a game on. Especially in environments with buildings and other stuff around, it will be fucking nightmare from this angle. Worse with combat itself. Enjoy your popamole pixel hunt.

Use your brain when you are done drooling over a piece of concept art passing as a screenshot.
I wouldn't mind if you would use your brain a little sometimes, instead of pissing on everything about the game. Didn't you think about it, that they can (and they will) change the perspective in the final game. They lowered the camera angel to make a pretty shot, but obviously they will change it later.

This is beautiful, I want this game right now! Upping my pledge! :dance:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wait... what... they're already selling/promising an expansion? Couldn't they just... put that in the base game...

Arkeus

Arcane
The expansion will be made six months after the game. It's basically a reason for not dissolving the team that made the game in case they can pitch enough money to make a second one.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It is true the perspective is a little bit off in that picture, I actually had a hard time at first "parsing" it - the broken bridge seems to tilt upward, while the foreground, and especially the entrance to the cave, is almost seen from the side.

BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER:
- This is NOT a screenshot but a background concept art! It's not an ingame image! It's an indication of where the game is going.
- It has the Baldur's Gate vibe, and it feels good!
- It looks wonderful in all its 2D glory.

I think they chose a lower viewpoint to be able to show more things, and less terrain, in order to create a more impressive picture. It's a great concept piece.

I would have never thought to see such a thing in 2012 from a mainstream developer! Excellent work, great update.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Wait... what... they're already selling/promising an expansion? Couldn't they just... put that in the base game...

The money all goes into the main game. The expansion will be financed by sales (expansions are usually only a bit of the cost).

If you do an expansion you better plan for it as early as possible in the main game, to save time/costs and make it internally consistent, which can be pretty hard if you don't. That's not to mention if decisions carry over.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
aVENGER: scale down the characters, they're way too tall. besides that it looks amazing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom