Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
bragi said:
@Feargus: Conserning the screenshot, can we expect some birds, butterflies, fish in the stream? Just to spice the surroundings...
Feargus said:
@bragi Yes, we will be using the effects system to overlay things like that onto the screen.
Feargus said:
@Bruce P We will be using effects to show off things like the crashing of the waterfall into the water.

in case someone is interested.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Considering how easy it is to place such particles or effects I see no reason why he should lie about it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
we will know in 2014 if it's feargus awkward or the truth.

naw. He is pretty much closed mouth now if he is not very certain of something when answering questions on the KS comment section. At the EARLY parts of this, yeah he didn't know much what he was saying. heh I think they finally had a talk with him. ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
eternalgate2.jpg
Eternal Gate 2
Fucking awesome.

:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Facebook is less than 2500 Likes away from another Mega Dungeon level.

Deleted member 7219

Ugh, that Baldurs Gate-ified screen looks disgusting. But I really hated those games anyway. I know they keep banging on about it being IE-influenced but I hoped that was mainly just the isometric view. If it has the same kind of sprites and animations then I'll be massively disappointed.

They should be looking at MotB for inspiration, and then improving from there.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
The screenshot just makes me want to see how gorgeous it might look in motion :) I imagine a nice waterfall animation, maybe the foliage rustling in the breeze, and perhaps the occasional fish jumping out of the water. The second big city would be an amazing stretch goal, and I really hope they can make it, even though they have nearly another mil to go!

Kicktraq has Project Eternity trending toward 3.1, but that takes into account the small surge that it had today, so the next couple of days may be slower. It however does not factor in paypal or the usual big surge that kickstarter get in the last couple of days, so there is hope :).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They've already said it's going to be 3D characters not sprites.

However, I find it laughable that anyone would want to copy the "usability" of NWN2.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really like these screenshots, they're doing a great job smoking out retardation on the Codex that has remained hidden until now.

Murk

Arcane
Matt's... particular views were never really that hidden. He has been quite consistent in his... particularities as long as I have been lurking and subsequently posting here.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=194#post408436623

Josh Sawyer said:
NihilCredo posted:

That screenshot is really pretty, but it cannot be one of the actual in-game backgrounds, not for an isometric game, the perspective is too skewed.

For open exterior environments, we are experimenting with using a lower camera angle, similar to what's found in Fallout and Fallout 2. The advantage is that tall vertical elements can be seen in greater detail. I don't know the exact angles for the BG/IWD renders vs. Fallout, but we rendered the scene from both angles and it looks much better when it's at the "Fallout" (15 degrees lower) angle.

Captain Shrek

I really like these screenshots, they're doing a great job smoking out retardation on the Codex that has remained hidden until now.
To be honest I am having a hard time believing that the water in the lake (?)/ river/pool is rendered by the in game engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
To be honest I am having a hard time believing that the water in the lake (?)/ river/pool is rendered by the in game engine.

That's because it isn't being rendered by the in-game engine. It is pre-rendered on a server and converted to an image.

Captain Shrek

That's because it isn't being rendered by the in-game engine. It is pre-rendered on a server and converted to an image.

But weren't the IE games with backgrounds that were (pre) rendered by the engine?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
While that's true, it's been 15 years since that. You can now do 2D backgrounds with 3D elements on top in that angle without performance hit while looking fabulous.

Think cartoon animation, while backgrounds are static lots of elements in them were animated. Well, you can do the same with modern 3D engines, it's just a matter of adjusting the assets to the perspective. Having a fixed camera makes the process quite easy with Unity scene editor.

Wish I had an online blackboard to explain to everyone.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Why should you get lumped in with all the other race traitors who gave $250 to support this game if it's good? You should get your own tag that has something to do with being a faithless dumbass if this game is good. :D

It was a provocation and because I am certain that the screenshot will suck donkey balls so I know I never would end up having to fulfill that promise.
Sup VOTS.

Deleted member 7219

True. You've just revealed your own dishonesty in changing what I wrote to 'NWN2'. MotB had an excellent visual style, and any RPG fan with half a brain would realise that.

I'm proud to be one of the few on the Codex that recognise the Infinity Engine as not being very good. It was the biggest thing dragging Torment down. Game engines have improved since then. Obsidian have released a great screenshot, why turn it into shit by making it look like BG2? Move on.

Captain Shrek

But weren't the IE games with backgrounds that were (pre) rendered by the engine?

lol, no. Why do you think those games had so many discs? Each area was a huge raw image that Bioware/Black Isle rendered.

So what did they render it with?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...metric-engine-again.76197/page-2#post-2274520
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...2d-isometric-engine-again.76197/#post-2273740

Reading these two actually made me think that the engine was used to render.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom