Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True. You've just revealed your own dishonesty in changing what I wrote to 'NWN2'. MotB had an excellent visual style, and any RPG fan with half a brain would realise that.

What dishonesty? You were talking specifically about character sprites and animations. There was no difference between those in any of NWN2's expansions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They've already said it's going to be 3D characters not sprites.

However, I find it laughable that anyone would want to copy the "usability" of NWN2.
NWN2 had a far superior spellcasting gui compared to any of the IE games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what did they render it with?

Professional 3D graphics software, such as 3DSMax. Somebody with modding experience can tell you more.

Reading these two actually made me think that the engine was used to render.

The Infinity Engine was not a 3D graphics renderer. You would have had hours-long load times if it was.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
this game will be far above MotB in artstyle, plot as well as substance...come at me faggots!

...not too hard though...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The interface might have been better but the actual spell casting sucks a bag of dicks compared to the IE games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
This thread is getting too (possibly) retarded for me.

Hoping to see big numbers tomorrow. :salute:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Ohhhhh man, and in the end it's a fucking screenshot that wins over the Codex, hahaha. Typical:decline: Wannabe RPG purists don't give a shit til they see a 1999 Bioware environment render :smug:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This thread is getting too (possibly) retarded for me.
Hoping to see big numbers tomorrow. :salute:
What about big numbers now?

13.png

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer

The backgrounds in the IE games were initially created in 3D Studio Max. Afterwards, the finishing touches were added by 2D artists. For example, this is the town of Kuldahar from Icewind Dale:

KuldaharWireframe.jpg

ar2100.jpg

BTW, while some incarnations of the Infinity Engine did have 3D capabilities (OpenGL support) it was only used for enhancing the spell effects. Area backgrounds were always pre-rendered.

Captain Shrek

The backgrounds in the IE games were initially created in 3D Studio Max. Afterwards, the finishing touches were added by 2D artists. For example, this is the town of Kuldahar from Icewind Dale:

KuldaharWireframe.jpg

ar2100.jpg

BTW, while some incarnations of the Infinity Engine did have 3D capabilities (OpenGL support) it was only used for enhancing the spell effects. Area backgrounds were always pre-rendered.

:bro:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When you fuckers spend pages bickering about artstyle and 2D/3D rendering I understand now why this has reached 250ish pages. Anyway, I hope these guys do well but it is a wait and see proposition for me (especially after NWN2). One of the reward tiers is 'keep management' and I remember how forgettable and inconsequential the keep management was in that game.

MCA
I wouldn't mind if you would use your brain a little sometimes, instead of pissing on everything about the game. Didn't you think about it, that they can (and they will) change the perspective in the final game. They lowered the camera angel to make a pretty shot, but obviously they will change it later.

Oh for fuck's sake, there is always, but always an excuse for anything imperfect when it's Obsidian. You realise you sound exactly like apologist cocksuckers elsewhere on the internet: "but it's just WIP / early stuff / Beta, surely they will change it!". Here's what: YOU FUCKING GET JUDGED ON WHAT YOU SHOW. What they showed has shitty angle for optimal gameplay. Maybe they will change it later on, I don't know, I hope they will. But for the time being, this is what we get(tm) and what we got just sucks ass.

Oh, by the way, it's not perspective. You can't have perspective in isometric/orthographic.

My estimation of the angle with grid lines for reference:

oU6Fa.jpg

Nigh unplayable. Not a valid screenshot.

Plus, it's an easy cope out. No environment such as a town or a dungeon or what have you. Just nature-spam with two very cool sculptures.

MCA
Why should you get lumped in with all the other race traitors who gave $250 to support this game if it's good? You should get your own tag that has something to do with being a faithless dumbass if this game is good. :D

It was a provocation and because I am certain that the screenshot will suck donkey balls so I know I never would end up having to fulfill that promise.
Sup VOTS.

Not that easy, son:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-eternity-thread.75947/page-242#post-2310046
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-eternity-thread.75947/page-246#post-2310647

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
...was kinda hoping for Ultima 1 level graphics with a hybrid text/turn based combat myself...

ultima1-3.gif

this just adds sooo much depth and immersion to my gameplay it's unreal. Stupid fucking Obsidian.

MCA
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=194#post408436623

Josh Sawyer said:
NihilCredo posted:

That screenshot is really pretty, but it cannot be one of the actual in-game backgrounds, not for an isometric game, the perspective is too skewed.

For open exterior environments, we are experimenting with using a lower camera angle, similar to what's found in Fallout and Fallout 2. The advantage is that tall vertical elements can be seen in greater detail. I don't know the exact angles for the BG/IWD renders vs. Fallout, but we rendered the scene from both angles and it looks much better when it's at the "Fallout" (15 degrees lower) angle.

Similar to Fallout?

fallout1.gif

vs.

oU6Fa.jpg

I don't think so. This is bullshit.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You certainly do put a lot of effort into this, but I don't think those side-by-side screenshots are making quite the point you want them to. Almost the opposite, actually. The proposed positioning of the characters in the bottom SS is basically identical to how they are in Fallout, and honestly they look like they would work. And honestly, if the angle of the screenshot is your biggest complaint (and they've actually said flat out that they are messing with that), then you don't really seem to have much of a complaint at all.

I actually do think that you have a point about skewed perspective in the screenshot, and my first impression upon looking at it, after 'wow, very pretty' was, 'this doesn't look right for an actual game', but I don't think your presentation above really gets that across. Actually, it made me think it would work better than I did before. Oh well.

MCA
You certainly do put a lot of effort into this, but I don't think those side-by-side screenshots are making quite the point you want them to. Almost the opposite, actually. The proposed positioning of the characters in the bottom SS is basically identical to how they are in Fallout, and honestly they look like they would work. And honestly, if the angle of the screenshot is your biggest complaint (and they've actually said flat out that they are messing with that), then you don't really seem to have much of a complaint at all.

They look neither identical or similar to me.

And anyway, yes, I think it's pretty, I've already admitted that but I've also said that it's an easy cope out. Nature spam. Not worth my time. They should have shown a town or an interior location prototype, not nature spam. Spamming landscapes is the easiest thing in any kind of style in games. We won't know the general feel of the game until they actually show us a scene with structures, items etc.

I'm also most curious about how they will deal with LOS obstruction. I like the Fallout solution but it wasn't perfect. IE games sucked ass in that area. Arcanum was a horrible offender.

MCA
It looks like how Kult looked, but more detailed.

I'm fucking sold on its visuals unless this is the one-in-a-thousand shots that look that good and the rest looks like shit.

Based on the size of the boats and tents my guess is that particular area is actually something like 4-6 screens' worth of space and that you will have to pan around to see it all (or have a ridiculous resolution) which alleviates some of my fears of scale.

Kult-Heretic-Kingdoms-1.jpeg

oU6Fa.jpg

It doesn't look like Kult at all. Funny how the memory plays games with you, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom