Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, obviously the screens themselves don't look identical, I was referring to the angle/perspective of the actual Fallout characters and the mockups you placed into the screenshots.

Obstructed line of sight is always going to be an issue in fixed perspective games, and there's really no perfect solution. Personally I'd rather have little outlines than have to deal with another NWN2 camera control clusterfuck. Depending on how the screens are rendered they might have the option of decreasing the opacity of objects, who knows.

A city screen would have been cool, but if that was really only a month's work then I can see why they aimed slightly lower to have something to show. If you backed Double Fine Adventure's kickstarter, you might be interested in watching the last couple of documentary episodes, which give a pretty good sense of the time-scale and difficulties of actually producing finished artwork for a game, and the long pipeline of artists stuff has to go through before making it even to a vaguely presentable form.

MCA
It is true the perspective is a little bit off in that picture, I actually had a hard time at first "parsing" it - the broken bridge seems to tilt upward, while the foreground, and especially the entrance to the cave, is almost seen from the side.

BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER:
- This is NOT a screenshot but a background concept art! It's not an ingame image! It's an indication of where the game is going.

It is a screenshot. WIP, indeed but they outright called it a screenshot and you get judged on what you show.

NOVD

Scholar
Tim Cain talked a bit about the not-quite isometric angle of Fallout and how the artists liked the angle being shallower during his GDC talk.

YcPJH.png

I don't know if it's the same angle, but the somewhat lower angle is definitely inspired by Fallout.

MCA
eternalgate2.jpg
Eternal Gate 2

Cute but you can't force stuff that isn't meant to be through wishful thinking. Characters look like they are flying.

They are already at 2.7M with KS and Paypal right now, just FYI.

Obsidian Entertainment 2 minutes ago
Ok, I know know when I will be able to the number of backers. However, PayPal is at $46K. :)

Pathetic. All of you should withdraw your pledges from Kickstarter and donate via PayPal if you care about this. Obsidian will get more of the money that way.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I wonder if the stronghold will be more BG2 or NWN2. I really liked the BG2 strongholds but the NWN2 one sort of sucked. I mean why would a druid or bard run a keep? I hope they do some class specific stuff with them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It'd be good if we could bring that matter to their attention. I strongly concur with oldmanpaco that the custom Strongholds in BG 2 were far more memorable.

Murk

Arcane
Villain of the Story said:
It doesn't look like Kult at all. Funny how the memory plays games with you, right?

Actually, I looked up screenshots of Kult before I made that post to refresh my memory. I wasn't commenting on camera angle, I was commenting on the look and it did indeed remind me of Kult, especially when I considered that PE will also have 3rd models/characters.

But... even then with angle... not quite what you projected, perhaps, but definitely not the clear isometric or orthographic projection.

shot_2_316.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why you guys cum to a pic? graphics whores? The screenshot looks alright but do not cum. Overall, ncie stretch goals. Don't see the city one gettiing reached in 4 days. that be shocking!

MCA
But... even then with angle... not quite what you projected, perhaps, but definitely not the clear isometric or orthographic projection.

Uh, it's quite ortographic. No perspective? Orthographic by default with that kind of view. I can't tell if it's isometric, though.

Tim Cain talked a bit about the not-quite isometric angle of Fallout and how the artists liked the angle being shallower during his GDC talk.

YcPJH.png

I don't know if it's the same angle, but the somewhat lower angle is definitely inspired by Fallout.

Xg5U0.jpg

vs.

oU6Fa.jpg

It's not. There's quite a bit of difference.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I wonder if the stronghold will be more BG2 or NWN2. I really liked the BG2 strongholds but the NWN2 one sort of sucked. I mean why would a druid or bard run a keep? I hope they do some class specific stuff with them.

The strongholds in BGII were very cool. They however made NO sense in the story/plot (remember, you are trying to find your half-sister Imoen). Unfortunately a lot of the side quests also fall under this too. However the stronghold in NWN2 was actually a PART of the story/plot. THIS was good. However it was just not developed fully. It almost seems they finally want to do what they failed to do (fully incorporate it into the story and add a lot more dynamics to it). Which would be cool. <3

Murk

Arcane
Uh, it's quite ortographic. No perspective? Orthographic by default with that kind of view. I can't tell if it's isometric, though.

I really don't care to get bogged down in this. The shot reminds me of Kult for the reasons I posted -- if you want an angle comparison in screenshots then the beginning area of Kult also has that strange "camera too low" perspective.

The Kult shot I posted seems Dimetric, and other shots of Kult seem completely different (Canyon, city, interiors, etc.)-- it seems they didn't care enough to keep things consistent, and I don't really care to investigate that decision past that I liked how the game looked. Regardless, they both have that look where it seems the camera is at a low angle. There, my defense of my "looks like Kult" comment is complete.

The projected grid over the PE shot doesn't quite line up. There's no clear tiling to reference to draw the lines, the closest being perhaps the center of the bridge itself -- and your lines are not parallel to that, they seem more parallel to the side-view of the bricks. Perhaps I just don't understand enough about projections tho.

Fuck all that, I don't want to join a multi-page argument over whether a single screenshot is sufficiently angled enough in one of three directions to be bothered about. It looks great, and if the actual in-game areas look like that and the game plays fine I'll be content. My guess is they're not going to use a completely stupid angle because unlike NWN 2 they have a fixed camera like IWD and IWD 2 for which I am not worried.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
And anyway, yes, I think it's pretty, I've already admitted that but I've also said that it's an easy cope out. Nature spam. Not worth my time. They should have shown a town or an interior location prototype, not nature spam. Spamming landscapes is the easiest thing in any kind of style in games. We won't know the general feel of the game until they actually show us a scene with structures, items etc.
I know a lot of you like to hate on this guy here...but I think every so often you need to take a moment to appreciate, nay, to bask in the sheer devotion this person has shown towards Project Eternity.

This man is a trolling paragon and many of you misinterpret his words as "hate", when in fact they must surely be love.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, he's right that the camera angle in Fallout is actually significantly higher than the camera angle in the PE screenshot.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Characters will be 3D. What's the problem with making camera angles a bit different? Final Fantasy even went all insane on it, changing perspective drastically like in adventure games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom