Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and for good reason as Buck helped inspire this project.

I remember Buck talking about a possible Icewind Dale 3 with Feargus once....

Hrmmmm.....

This must be it. Would also explain the Icewind Dale stuff in the pictures of Sawyer.

So, IWD3 with unusable camera?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it is IWD3 then

a) How'd they get the D&D license?
b) Why does the website say "4"?

Wait, is the 4 a countdown maybe? 4 days till they announce the game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
If it is IWD3 then

From an old interview:

GB: We've heard a rumor that you may have acquired the Icewind Dale license from Interplay. Is there any truth to this?

Feargus had the foresight to buy several assets from Interplay as it collapsed. It's a great opportunity for some of that work and effort to shine when otherwise it might not ever see the light of day.

Also:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/obsidian-entertainment-playing-in-other-peoples-worlds/

Obsidian is also pushing on updating a former Black Isle property: Icewind Dale 3. "I was talking to Atari last week," he confides, "and said why don't we do this?" The old series, he says, didn't end because of low sales. "They stopped being made because of licensing issues, and Interplay going out of business, and BioWare moving on to console, and a whole lot of things. So a part of it is, why not go make Icewind Dale 3? You can't spend $20 million on it, but why not go make it?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it is IWD3 then

From an old interview:

GB: We've heard a rumor that you may have acquired the Icewind Dale license from Interplay. Is there any truth to this?

Feargus had the foresight to buy several assets from Interplay as it collapsed. It's a great opportunity for some of that work and effort to shine when otherwise it might not ever see the light of day.

Sure, but the license to use the Forgotten Realms is a bit bigger than the rights for IWD, is it not?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, if it's not Icewind Dale, who knows... maybe it just gives them more room to do what they want. ;)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You can't really "get" the license. Your game would have to be published by whoever holds the D&D rights, which is still Atari I think? And they're in the dumps, only making shit games. D&D is kind of in limbo, videogame-wise.

Stabwound

Arcane
Looks like this is likely the Wheel of Time game.

From the official forum: notice the "4" logo and the Wheel of Time logo both feature a dragon/snake type creature eating its tail.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

From the official forum: notice the "4" logo and the Wheel of Time logo both feature a dragon/snake type creature eating its tail.

Yes, except Brother None who knows what game it is has already said it's not.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I thought that to make an IWD game you need two licenses: DnD from Atari and IWD from the current holder. Anyway, judging by sea's and BN's comments, it's not IWD. Any hints?

Stabwound

Arcane
Yes, except Brother None who knows what game it is has already said it's not.
Is that so? Okay, I missed that. Carry on!

That's a relief, anyway. I'd rather have a completely new game and not one based on books or a sequel.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Wasn't that a Red Eagle's game? Obsidian wouldn't be the one to announce it.

Stinger

Arcane
The only other thing I remember Feargus discussing with gamebanshee was Defiance.

But it was more Feargus mentioning a rejected concept rather than what happened with IWD where I think Buck actually encouraged Feargus to pursue making the game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wasn't that a Red Eagle's game? Obsidian wouldn't be the one to announce it.

Yeah. Back when that was first announced they said Obsidian was in a supportive role of sorts? Anyway, I think that project fell through ages ago. Haven't heard anything in ages, anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I thought that to make an IWD game you need two licenses: DnD from Atari and IWD from the current holder. Anyway, judging by sea's and BN's comments, it's not IWD. Any hints?

To me it sounds like they've been convinced to make an IWD spiritual successor of some kind. Though that seems rather silly IMO.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah, it's not the kind of game you make spiritual successors to, so it's something else, hopefully, original and exciting.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron

To me it sounds like they've been convinced to make an IWD spiritual successor of some kind. Though that seems rather silly IMO.
Could be a straight sequel. If it is I hope the 4 is a countdown timer and not a sign that it's using 4th Edition.

Stabwound

Arcane
Can any of you annoying dicks with info on this tell us if it's a kickstarter project or not? :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh sure. They contact GameBanshee but not the codex for an exclusive. Thanks alot Obsidian.

:rpgcodex:

Granted, the KS project would be more our kind of game. Anyways will sit here and cautiously fap, as I have no idea what this is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom