Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Icewind Dale the FPS.

RyuRanX

Novice
I don't know what the number four stands for, but the symbol is definitly the serpent of the Aes Sedai. Those old rumors about a RPG based on Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time RPG were true!

I thought that to make an IWD game you need two licenses: DnD from Atari and IWD from the current holder. Anyway, judging by sea's and BN's comments, it's not IWD. Any hints?

To me it sounds like they've been convinced to make an IWD spiritual successor of some kind. Though that seems rather silly IMO.
Could be a straight sequel. If it is I hope the 4 is a countdown timer and not a sign that it's using 4th Edition.

Agree, but if a game was to be D&D and officially licenced, surely the proprietors would insist on the game promoting+using 4th edition as a condition of the licence.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Agree, but if a game was to be D&D and officially licenced, surely the proprietors would insist on the game promoting+using 4th edition as a condition of the licence.
Problem is, the game will probably be released after D&D 5th... Wizards would't like to see a game promoting 3th or 4th right after 5th is released.

mote

Novice
Problem is, the game will probably be released after D&D 5th... Wizards would't like to see a game promoting 3th or 4th right after 5th is released.
Well, it's not like there's any precedent for Wizards releasing a new version of D&D when a video game using the previous ruleset is half-way through development, right?

Cynic

Arcane
The art and the language seem very D&D inspired. That alone has me feeling cautiously optimistic for this game. Whether you liked or loathed Dungeon Siege 3, if you didn't see the potential the Onyx engine showed through that game, you've gone full retard. If Obsidian don't fuck this up, and the game is released in 2013 (unlikely) this could make 2013 the biggest fucking inclining year ever. Fuck you Mayans.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thankfully they were incorrect on the Mayan Long Count Calendar so that whole Maya thing is no worries currently.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the distinction exactly? If it comes out on PC and on consoles does it go in popamole?

A game goes popamole if you make it for consoles first and for PC as an afterthought/port. Of course you're now thinking "how can you possibly make a PC game and port it over to console without it being shit on console?" Of course you can't. That's why you make havy concessions to the gameplay - hence popamoling it up to the moon and back.

The reality is, for most game types console and PC are strictly incompatible with strategy and FPS game ports being the most egregious insults to the gentleman gamer's taste.

I had to buy morrowind on xbox since I couldn't afford a computer at the time. Played it for a year every day and was the best gaming experience of my life.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
The words mean nothing. the number is the key. so yes it could be fallout 4. sheesh. this was right up my alley.

RO09d.png

the other interpretation I have is words mean nothing . sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. so the game might be about sticks and/or stones.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, I could still be wrong. But I don't think Obsidian have a good reason to work with Square Enix, is all, and it's not like they have ever consistently stayed with one publisher in the past.

The Codex will split into two factions over the game. One faction will consist of Obsidian apologists and the other the Skyway wannabes. A somewhat lengthy thread discussing the game will come to exist and that is where the two main factions will quarrel. Or there will be many small threads with the conflict spread out amongst them.

And thus began The Great Codex Civil War

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I could still be wrong. But I don't think Obsidian have a good reason to work with Square Enix, is all, and it's not like they have ever consistently stayed with one publisher in the past.
Well SE is doing a good job about aproaching western devs and publish good games in the last one or two years. Maybe they approached Obsidian.

Morkar Left

The words mean nothing. the number is the key. so yes it could be fallout 4. sheesh. this was right up my alley.

RO09d.png

the other interpretation I have is words mean nothing . sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. so the game might be about sticks and/or stones.

Prosper just made my day!

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I've never cared about countdown timers to announcements about upcoming announcements. Just tell me about your game in a couple of years when it's close to getting released, then maybe I'll buy it when you actually do release it. Like the $20 GOTY edition with all of the patches, DLC, pre-order crap and horse armour.

The only thing I found interesting in this thread was this chick here. What was shown to her that so rudely interrupted her cybersex session? Does anyone know? Was it tub girl?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks like this is likely the Wheel of Time game.

From the official forum: notice the "4" logo and the Wheel of Time logo both feature a dragon/snake type creature eating its tail.

Not neccessarily - Ouroboros is fairly common symbol (and theme) in fantasy. For all we know it can be another TWitcher game ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom