Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Diablo169

Arcane
That's a really good camera which makes me doubt its anything to do with Project Eternity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus did say they were going to film a behind-the-scenes documentary out of pocket.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
maybe SP: stick of truth went gold and they're all happy to be done with that shit

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
adam answered me on twitter regarding the filming. it's for today's PE update.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. fucking typical brennecke update.
and I stayed up for this.
jesus christ.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Next week's update we will have a movie showcasing some of the progress we've made on prototype 1! Stay tuned!

:bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. fucking typical brennecke update.
and I stayed up for this.
jesus christ.

Hey, he didn't lie to you :smug:

pe-Documentary.580.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I hope that's a taser he's holding to his face

(edit: I kid. brennecke is cool. he just broke my heart, is all)

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Whoa, Darklands-esque text adventure segments will be in Eternity?

:love::incline:

Rest of the update looks p. good. Eternity development seems to be going along well.

Speaking of Darklands is there any way to play that now?

I tried the GoG version but the interface and shit is just so dated I can't deal. Is there like a handheld version or something maybe then I could tolerate it?

Shame because it seems interesting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's not just the user interface, sadly. A lot of old games that ran okay-ish on DOSBox on my old gaming rig run like shit on my new(er) one, and I became quite practiced over the years in tuning every aspect of the DOSBox .ini file for each individual game. Epilepsy-inducing mouse cursor flicker, strange/disoriented cursor movement speed, ultra-fast animations within the game, uneven music/sound... pretty annoying. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it.

At some point, I'm going to retrieve a few old 90s PCs and from the storage cellar of my mother's law firm (provided any of them still work) and just use those. If I've got to keep extra computers around to play old games, I might as well use the actual computers that the games run on. Pretty sure there are some old sound cards and CRT monitors kicking around in the attic somewhere....

ScummVM usually runs games extremely well, as though you're actually playing them on a 90s PC. Guess that's because its emulation is much less broad than DOSBox's.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ScummVM usually runs games extremely well, as though you're actually playing them on an 90s PC. Guess that's because its emulation is much less broad than DOSBox's.
It's because it's not an emulator, but rather a virtual machine which can mimic the behavior of the game's original engine while being designed to run properly on modern machines.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah yes, that makes sense. It's emulating the software engine, not the hardware and drivers.

Thinking about it, my new computer runs Windows 7 64-bit. My old one was slower, shittier, and ran Windows XP 32-bit. That's probably why DOSBox worked better on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom