Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on our UI mockups that Rob posted last week in Update #54. We loved everyone's proposed mockups and your discussions sparked some great ideas for the next iteration on the interface. We've already mocked up a new version that takes up less vertical space and is more compact overall. Once we feel it's ready to be critiqued, we will post it in a future update for more discussion.

No.
:incline:
1367159036948.png
dolan pls

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey Automatic detection confirmed: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post416155332

Josh Sawyer said:
Things that are intentionally hidden (doors, containers, traps, etc.) will be marked as undetected by default. Noticing them will require getting within a certain proximity (based on character attributes) for a second or two. If you rush by everything, you can easily miss the hidden objects or blunder into a trap. We absolutely don't want to emulate the "click button and wait" mechanic of the IE games but we do want to encourage players to be thorough in how they move through/explore spaces. Once an object has been detected, the highlighting key will highlight it just like any other object.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That is my joke wigger outfit

I used to play Competitive Call of Duty 4 (Promod, on PC) and the last team I played for was called Snapback, so I rocked up to the National Championship LAN dressed like that

Spockrock

Augur
that pic looks a lot like TOEE. which is a good thing, of course. will PE have modding tools available?

dunno lah

Arcane

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I hope hidden object/trap detection is fast, having to click and wait 1 or 2 seconds even sounds like a chore while exploring and promotes an artificial aproach to the content instead of just naturaly moving around.

Taking the time to observe the environment is artificial ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Taking the time to observe the environment is artificial ?

click, stop 2 seconds to detect traps, click, stop 2 seconds to detect traps click, stop 2 seconds to detect traps, ah fuck it... click, click, *die impaled on spike trap*, reload.

Not my idea of fun, i wan't to traverse the environment at my own pace without having to wait every few feet to make sure there are no traps.

It's down to personal preference i guess.

Sensuki

Arcane
You don't have to click anymore though :)

Josh Sawyer said:
We absolutely don't want to emulate the "click button and wait" mechanic of the IE games but we do want to encourage players to be thorough in how they move through/explore spaces..

It works more like detect secret doors in BG2.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You don't have to click anymore though :)

It works more like detect secret doors in BG2.

Good, but the time to detect should be short as to not be noticeable. Arcanum and Fallout did a good job with the auto-stop before hitting the trap while having a fast trap detection time.

Arkeus

Arcane
No, it shouldn't be that short. Having to go slowly make sense, it's just the extra clicking that was a pain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you should have to go slowly, but that there should also be visual "tells" that hint to the player that he should slow down even before the detection kicks in.

Sensuki

Arcane
I assume you'll be able to set an auto-pause to detect hidden object or something. I won't use it (I hate auto-pause) but I'm sure there are those who would.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A compromise would be a skill toggle to reduce walking speed and dramaticly up detection time would be an option, having someone in your party with the right stats scout ahead for traps makes sense, as long as that detection doesn't force the player to stand still. Or visual clues like Infinitron sugests, tho the added work art wise might not be viable.

My main gripe with the IE games was the constant pausing to detect hidden, as long as PE makes it more fluid, i'm fine with it.

Gozma

Arcane
Why would you reiterate IE trap shit in any way? It was a completely useless disaster in those games (and not coincidentally another deep vein of pathfinding babysitting). And hell that trap system was shit in Darklands too, take the fucking hint already

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Stealth and detecting at the same time as well. Though with detecting being always on, I guess that is already the case. IE Find Traps throwing the character out of stealth wasn't great. Just invisibility potion/spell instead, but still.

Sensuki

Arcane
I never paused to detect traps, the only time I paused was if one of my characters was just about to walk over a detected trap so I could try and stop them triggering it. PE now has slow, so you don't necessarily have to pause to do this.

Josh also does not say that you have to be standing still to detect stuff, if you have a high Wisdom or Perception or whatever they use for detection of stuff, you'll probably have a chance of noticing stuff while moving, or while standing not too far away but not right up against it. Only if you have crap detection will you probably have to go and stand next to the pixels where you think there's something and wait for 2 seconds. If it's well implemented the system could be pretty dynamic..

Also

Josh designed the attributes not Tim, and Tim does the coding - So Tim has probably been doing the programming for all the class based stuff (including skills).

So if Tim programmed the Detection mechanic - it might work similar to the way you want it to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Strenght
Magic
Shootin' Skills
Wis Reading Ancient Languages Super Dungeoneering

I'm fully expecting some kind of Ultima-esque three stat system now (although with something more broadly useful instead of Intelligence)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom