Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
I personally don't care what the UI looks like, just so long as it's functional and not an eyesore I am content with decline. The game will support mods, and the UI will likely be a popular element to mod.

Mods don't have production values. It's really rare for a mods to reach comparable esthetic value than the original game.

And fuck off Nongraphicwhore.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I personally don't care what the UI looks like, just so long as it's functional and not an eyesore. The game will support mods, and the UI will likely be a popular element to mod.
Mods don't have production values. It's really rare for a mods to reach comparable esthetic value than the original game.
You're joking, right? Mods like SkyUI vastly improve both the usabilitiy and even the production values... and people like St. Toxic's can make a better UI in a day than a designer did after weeks working on it. Not to mention games like WoW, that have bazillions of UI mods, all of them with added features and usability.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
I personally don't care what the UI looks like, just so long as it's functional and not an eyesore. The game will support mods, and the UI will likely be a popular element to mod.
You're joking, right? Mods like SkyUI vastly improve both the usabilitiy and even the production values... and people like St. Toxic's can make a better UI in a day than a designer did after weeks working on it. Not to mention games like WoW, that have bazillions of UI mods, all of them with added features and usability.

Game tweaking and better usability are what mods do. THey don't give better esthetical content. Therefore improving a minimalistic UI will be difficult if one wishes to keep the esthetic intact.

LeJosh

Savant
How did you come to this conclusion?

Are there mods out there that you thought were just so fuck ugly as to put you off all mods?

I've seen plenty of re-textures, weather systems and the like being added by modders making games far better. Hell, STALKER is nothing without the Complete mods, or are we just discussing within a certain criteria of mods?

As to UI mods, well, they've always been better than stock UIs. Like felipepepe said, SkyUI is a necessity for Skrimjob on PC.

Edit - I feel ilke I said MODS too much in this post. :D

Tigranes

Arcane
That mockup I think is fine, as long as combat log can be extended. They surely could have something like that be the 'minimal' version, then have an 'IE' version that is chunkier.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't have much hope for better UI's after shipping. What most people who never programmed in their life fail to realize, is that the real usability clunkers are not graphical (the GUI), but derive from programing, so even a externalized GUI wouldn't be much help.

Things like:
popups with no focus or focus stealing or keyboard selection (eador)
losing team selection at the drop of hat (JA2)
spawning a popup for all movement of stacks (Ultima 7)
RtwP (Infinity engine :troll:)

If the source was open, i'd have more hope.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Whoever puts important UI elements in the fucking corners need to stop trying UI design.

But we'll be able to see an additional 1/3rd of the bottom 1/7th of the screen!
Don't worry because some brainded obsidrone has a solution to make it better:

Can we have an option with no gaps? Even if it's a purely decorative part with no action buttons. Disablable of course.

Could have something like that be the 'minimal' version, then have an 'IE' version that is chunkier

Rake

Arcane
The worst thing about IE games (for those who cared) was the fact the player wasn't able to see his character in his face. The portraits were shown during dialogues, but they were too small to have an impact on the player's experience. Everything was contained into the log and so it was like reading a book. Somewhat immersion breaking I would say.
Yes, definitely a terrible thing about IE games :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoever puts important UI elements in the fucking corners need to stop trying UI design.

But we'll be able to see an additional 1/3rd of the bottom 1/7th of the screen!
Don't worry because some brainded obsidrone has a solution to make it better:

Can we have an option with no gaps? Even if it's a purely decorative part with no action buttons. Disablable of course.

Could have something like that be the 'minimal' version, then have an 'IE' version that is chunkier

I think that "braindead obsidrone" is Rake?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
J.E. Sawyer 21m

It's not the number of Attributes that is unconventional, but how they are applied to derived statistics. It's more "gamist" than "simulationist". D&D's ability score system tries to be both and, IMO, fails because of it.
ugh

J.E. Sawyer 21m

It's not the number of Attributes that is unconventional, but how they are applied to derived statistics. It's more "gamist" than "simulationist". D&D's ability score system tries to be both and, IMO, fails because of it.

Makes sense. Why make a game where it'd be useful for a fighter to be intelligent/wise/charismatic when instead you can just make charisma govern the amount of axes you can wield or whatever the fuck he's thinking about doing.

Arkeus

Arcane
Because Charisma governing the amount of spells a sorcerer has make so much sense.

Because Charisma governing the amount of spells a sorcerer has make so much sense.

Not sure if this was a response to me, but of course that doesn't make a lick of sense. That's the "gamist" half of D&D Sawyer talks about, and instead of just abandoning that, he's abandoning the only part of the system that made any sense.

Arkeus

Arcane
Or he is choosing attributes that are purely gamists, not one that pretend to be simulationist and thus break the game by the lack of cohesion.

Or he is choosing attributes that are purely gamists, not one that pretend to be simulationist and thus break the game by the lack of cohesion.

Fine, then he won't have "charisma" but "number of abilities/spells decider thing"; what's the point unless you're making an action rpg? There's nothing inherently wrong with the charisma, intelligence and wisdom attributes; PT showed that in part (yes, it was unbalanced as fuck, but at least it made sense for a fighter to have int and wis).

I like the look of the portraits in that mockup. They look a lot like IWD portraits:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom