Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
4h 30m!
oh boy oh boy :bounce:

hiver

oh gawd... not that avellone guy... again!
let me guess, he is going to be nice and everything will be relative and everyone just do what they have to do and you have to understand the other side of the coin and BLAH; BLAH; BLAH; BLAH!

- get angry man! ANGRY!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Defiance Bay, Big City #1

8crjWP0.jpg

Vertical Slice wilderness area

PCZIZjC.jpg

Animat Factory

1JeEjSW.jpg

Cultist Dungeon

35zoTSM.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
oh gawd... not that avellone guy... again!
let me guess, he is going to be nice and everything will be relative and everyone just do what they have to do and you have to understand the other side of the coin and BLAH; BLAH; BLAH; BLAH!

- get angry man! ANGRY!
Angry? Why, you are obviously trolling. -10/10

hiver

But he did get angry! At leats a little bit.

You see? You see? Hah!

(all those hours in the gym had to come from somewhere man... its all boiling under that nice facade, im telling ya...)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hopefully there will be a KS update with HQ images from the presentation.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Zi3jj1m.jpg

Aha, I think I now see what they're gonna do with the UI. The Combat log and menu will be collapsible so that the UI mimimalist poofs get their minimalist UI.

I have to say that I do like that design better than the first UI but that portrait size makes me cry inside. Why the hell can't we have larger portraits like Baldur's Gate and World of Xeen. We certainly have the screen space for it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Aha, I think I now see what they're gonna do with the UI. The Combat log and menu will be collapsible so that the UI mimimalist poofs get their minimalist UI.

I have to say that I do like that design better than the first UI but that portrait size makes me cry inside. Why the hell can't we have larger portraits like Baldur's Gate and World of Xeen. We certainly have the screen space for it.
I have a feeling that that's just a placeholder UI. The final one will be totally different.

Gozma

Arcane
Me from before the Kickstarter thing would never believe I would get fucking bored watching Avellone present a brand new iso RPG in 2013

I blame powerpoint

coffeetable

Savant

I have a feeling that that's just a placeholder UI. The final one will be totally different.

Yeah, that's almost certainly placeholder. Buttons look like Unity default.

Sensuki

Arcane

Branm

Learned
Was interesting with Chris. Major publishers taking notice of the kickstarter successes isn't really surprising, obviously its going to CATCH attention when 70K people pitch in 4m on an idea...If anything good will come out of it I dunno...

I still think devs need a far larger budget then 4m to produce a cult game like BG2 these days so perhaps major publishers taking an interest is the best we could of hoped for...

coffeetable

Savant
Was interesting with Chris. Major publishers taking notice of the kickstarter successes isn't really surprising, obviously its going to CATCH attention when 70K people pitch in 4m on an idea...If anything good will come out of it I dunno...

I still think devs need a far larger budget then 4m to produce a cult game like BG2 these days so perhaps major publishers taking an interest is the best we could of hoped for...

Well that's an interesting question. If this article is to be believed, Baldur's Gate 1 took 90 staff-years. This screenshot from the DFA documentary suggests a staff-month in SF costs ~$12,700 all in (this is covering overheads as well as wages), so BG1 would've cost $14m in today's dollars. Of course that's for the engine as well as the game, and it was made back in 1998 when bug tracking was done on whiteboards in the hallway and Maya wasn't even a thing yet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Your price for a staff year sounds way to low like 1/4-1/10 of what an actual staff year would cost.

KithKanan

Novice

Well that's an interesting question. If this article is to be believed, Baldur's Gate 1 took 90 staff-years. This screenshot from the DFA documentary suggests a staff-month in SF costs ~$12,700 all in (this is covering overheads as well as wages), so BG1 would've cost $14m in today's dollars. Of course that's for the engine as well as the game, and it was made back in 1998 when bug tracking was done on whiteboards in the hallway and Maya wasn't even a thing yet.

SF cost of living is about 25-30% higher than LA cost of living. Not sure how that affects overall Double Fine staff-month cost vs inXile or Obsidian staff-month cost though. Going by projected individual rates for the CA health benefit exchange, health insurance in SF is about 25% more expensive than in Orange County, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom