Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the Codex still talking about that 'UI' in the Avellone presentation? Like people don't see that and immediately understand that will have zero correspondence to the actual UI? o_O

I dunno if you can blame people for that, really. It is the latest presentation on/of the game, after all, so it's only natural for people to see it as indicative of what the game looks like at the moment.

No, because one look at that 'UI' would tell anyone that it's a placeholder with no thought given to actual UI design. Then you consider the UI mockups they did have and it's even clearer. It's just lacking in common sense to think this would represent Obsidian's latest, concrete direction on PE UI.

Placeholder? Yes. "Zero correspondence," though? I disagree -- I think it's pretty reasonable for anyone to assume it may represent the direction Obsidian's going with the UI, at the very least.

Also I don't see what's so decline-ish about discussing and criticizing what's being presented, mock-up or not.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I certainly am in the minimal UI camp. No reason to have it all on screen now when a simple pop-up or hover-over will do.

I wish every game could be like Dead Space and have no UI at all.

:what:

Maybe ... Maybe Not ... Top location could be where this egg is.

pe-scriptedevent-wip.1280.jpg

This looks so beautiful...

coffeetable

Savant
Is a fully customizable UI still not a possibility? If they can do it on Wasteland 2 I don't see why Obsidian cant do the same with Eternity.

I think it was mentioned somewhere - though I can't find the source now - that while a customizable UI is certainly desirable, they've got many higher priorities for their programmer's time, so they don't want to promise something that might not be delivered.

coffeetable

Savant
Placeholder? Yes. "Zero correspondence," though? I disagree -- I think it's pretty reasonable for anyone to assume it may represent the direction Obsidian's going with the UI, at the very least.

Have you ever done any development work? A placeholder feature like that UI has literally no thought put into it beyond "does it work?". It's what the programmer threw up in 30 mins so that the vertical slice would actually be functional, and will have had no designer input.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Have you ever done any development work?

No, I haven't. I admire that you have, apparently, but I still don't see why we aren't supposed to discuss the kind of "placeholder" UI that's being shown to us, and why we aren't supposed to assume that's the direction the UI is going? It's one thing if you throw sth together in 30 mins for internal use, and an entirely different thing when you go public with that, in which case of course you should expect ppl to discus it.

My main issue is with Tigranes' characterization of that kind of discussion as "decline", actually. I don't see why that should be the case.

Arkeus

Arcane
No, I haven't. I admire that you have, apparently, but I still don't see why we aren't supposed to discuss the kind of "placeholder" UI that's being shown to us, and why we aren't supposed to assume that's the direction the UI is going?
Because a previous quote yesterday from Sawyer said that the UI seen there date back to before the update talking about UIs.

Tigranes

Arcane
Crooked Bee

It's not decline to bitch about the UI, I was fine with talking for 50 pages about the actual mockups they posted. The point is looking at something that is blatantly a placeholder that has nothing to do with the direction of the UI, for reasons outlined amply above by myself and others, and then going on and on about it is not exactly stimulating RPG discussion. The Kickstarter cycle is affecting the Codex in that it becomes a lot more kneejerk with the frequency and raw nature of the updates (as, well, everyone foretold). The whole "does this city look like Baldur's Gate" is another case of brain popamole, they're two fucking cities on a coast with walls in a medieval style, you might as well put Minas Tirith in there because the PE city has elevations. Oh the shape of the harbour is similar, I wonder why given most harbours are built around coves or other similar ways of creating a pocket.

Obviously because I have to clarify it now it sounds like I'm pronouncing the death of the Codex, but that would be an exaggeration, I was pointing out how stupid it is to take this UI seriously.

Crooked Bee

Patron
No, I haven't. I admire that you have, apparently, but I still don't see why we aren't supposed to discuss the kind of "placeholder" UI that's being shown to us, and why we aren't supposed to assume that's the direction the UI is going?
Because a previous quote yesterday from Sawyer said that the UI seen there date back to before the update talking about UIs.

Yeah, but it was posted on a different forum. I don't recall MCA mentioning it in his talk, so it was only natural for people to pick up on it.

It's not like everyone is up to date with whatever's being posted by the devs on various forums.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Codexians bash one another for pages about whether they think a UI is a designed mockup or a throwaway mockup. And we wonder why we've been a snubbed people for so long.

Personally I just grinned at the IWD2 icons. I do like a log for dialogue to show up in. Always try to turn on combat rolls in IE games, but it scrolls so fast and the to hit numbers are so ridiculous (WHY DOES MY ROLL BONUS CHANGE WITH EVERY SWING. WHY DO I EVEN HAVE A DISPLAYED BONUS IN A THAC0 GAME.) that it just turns into noise past, y'know, picking up Jahiera and Khalid in BG1.

Excited about having adventurey physical challenge decisions playing out like dialogues with lil illustrations, not sure how much I love the giant scroll with the brackets and the super-modern font and the loads o' whitespace. But meh. Even if it's not beautiful, it'll be one of those things you (or at least I) just kinda get used to and stop seeing in any visual way.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
man, they're not fuckin around on makin it look like Baldur's Gate. good!

Branm

Learned
The dungeons certainly look everything like I wish they would look like.

Imho biggest question about the game is still the combat. How will it play out other then that it's RtwP. While I adore BG2 I still had the most fun with the tactical ToEE combat. That and well they wont be using any sort of established rule set, AFAIK we haven't heard anything about how exactly the combat will work.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imho biggest question about the game is still the combat. How will it play out other then that it's RtwP. While I adore BG2 I still had the most fun with the tactical ToEE combat. That and well they wont be using any sort of established rule set, AFAIK we haven't heard anything about how exactly the combat will work.

:hmmm:

What do you mean? Almost every single Kickstarter update has been about combat-related stuff.

Gozma

Arcane
Get Fenstermaker on some internet celebrity shit too, RPG Codex screenshot news cycle needs meat

Don't this guy want to be a kickstarter name??

coffeetable

Savant
He's creative lead for Stick of Truth. Gonna be a Internet celeb soon enough, for better or worse.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Did they ever send out that backer reward link or w/e

I mean what one you wanted to choose

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom