Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The impression I had is that the area PE is set was supposed to be the wild, unexplored new world or something like that.

So, Brazil is small then? :M
Uh I don't know what you mean. Is that area supposed to be about as big as Brazil? The map scale sure as hell doesn't indicate that.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The impression I had is that the area PE is set was supposed to be the wild, unexplored new world or something like that.

Uh I don't know what you mean. Is that area supposed to be about as big as Brazil? The map scale sure as hell doesn't indicate that.

No, but you're implying that a "wild, unexplored new world" is somehow small by definition. Brazil was part of the RL "wild, unexplored new world".

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
High resolution version of the map+ Interview

http://anonofholland.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/chris-avellone-interview/

trentonmap1920.jpg

Nice, thanks! Love looking at such maps, even though it looks a bit generic I like it. Wonder what's up with those islands in north west :)

Arkeus

Arcane
It's really hard to know the scale. It could be anything like a few hundreds miles to Europe-sized...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

No, but you're implying that a "wild, unexplored new world" is somehow small by definition. Brazil was part of the RL "wild, unexplored new world".
I meant that it is really settled for its size. From the descriptions I expected something more wild, with mostly coastal towns that depend on overseas commerce and some incursions into the dangerous jungles full of savage demihumans on ancient elven ruins and shit. From the looks of it it seems every dungeon or deep jungle is just a few hours journey from a town.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I meant that it is really settled for its size. From the descriptions I expected something more wild, with mostly coastal towns that depend on overseas commerce and some incursions into the dangerous jungles full of savage demihumans on ancient elven ruins and shit. From the looks of it it seems every dungeon or deep jungle is just a few hours journey from a town.
I think it's supposed to a continent, or most of a continent.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's more "Age of Colonialism" than "Age of Exploration". The land has been settled, but the natives are still out there.

coffeetable

Savant

So when the low-res map showed up in the Rezzed talk, I asked on SA what the scale was meant to be. Apparently Road's End to Coldflow Lake (the lake just peeking in on the east) is ~roughly~ the width of the Iberian Peninsula. That's about 750km, so each grid square works out to be ~110km or 75 miles wide.

For a sense of distance: 75 miles (one square) is about 25 hours brisk walk on flat terrain. On wooded, uneven ground it's probably more like 40 hours, and through dense brush it's much, much higher. Horseback messengers could make about 150 miles (2 squares) along a road in two days, and caravels could make 0-3 squares/day depending on wind.

The Eir Glanfath forest is ~50,000 square miles, which is about the size of England. It's not the Wild West, but unless all those settlements are cities then it's not densely populated either.

DraQ

Arcane
:lol: :salute:
That's pretty accurate description, however:

-there is this mod CK mentioned.
-even without it, you can still use journal to avoid searching all over the map by hand.

Then, after I know where to seek objective I go there and since my compass is modded out, I need to rely on natural orientation to minimize or eliminate switching between game and menus. It doesn't seem like much, but even such a minor inconvenience works wonders.

And then, modding out compass means you don't psychically know of every dungeon and place of interest within half mile radius.

I'm sure you can guess which camp I fall into.
My guess would be camp stupid, since you seem to assume that every player is a psychic who can read your mind to learn how hard or easy is each of the difficulty settings you've made and make perfect choice without any foreknowledge.
+M

Like Dishonored where you can't even complete a quest if you don't turn the quest markers on for a second to see where the fuck is the specific spot on the map that you are supposed to dump a body at.
Wut.
There's an easy solution even to 'sperging though: You set these things before the game starts, and then they're locked in. That was actually my original suggestion, but I'm glad you gave me a laugh anyway.
How about making an additional lock setting - when activated would prevent toggling difficulty options in a game in progress.
:P

Hormalakh

Magister
I sort of agree with excidium here. its a weird looking map.

Part of the problem is that the icons used for settlement, city, big city, village, etc are all these huge house looking icons and that throws me off. The castles are big castles I guess? I'm not sure. Then there's the black and white colored icons. Not sure what that means too.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice, thanks! Love looking at such maps, even though it looks a bit generic I like it. Wonder what's up with those islands in north west :)
DLC adventure locations?

BG had a couple of islands outside the coast for the expansion. Balduran's Isle (or whatever) and the frozen wizard isle.

Arkeus

Arcane
Snip Scale
Interesting Scale. So it's actually pretty damn big. If that's the case, some of the labels are a bit weird- the Lake of drowned tombs, for example, should rightfully be a Sea. Likewise, a lot of the 'tags' denote really small stuff, stuff that should not really be in that big a map.

coffeetable

Savant
Snip Scale
Interesting Scale. So it's actually pretty damn big. If that's the case, some of the labels are a bit weird- the Lake of drowned tombs, for example, should rightfully be a Sea. Likewise, a lot of the 'tags' denote really small stuff, stuff that should not really be in that big a map.

I dunno. Drowned Tombs is about 1200 square miles, which is a fraction of any of these. As to the scale of the settlements - what appears on a map is what's important to the user (in this case an adventurer!). If Maiden Falls is the only settlement in fifty miles, it should be on the ma even if it's only ten people and a cow. I do agree though that it'd be nice if there were different icons for settlements of different size.

For people worried it's not "empty" enough, here's a map of all the fortified towns in medieval England (which, again, is ~roughly~the size of the forest):

p3yMGg2.gif

(in fact a map square on this thing is roughly the same as a map square on the PE map, as they're both about ~1 degree of lat/long on an Earthlike planet)

coffeetable

Savant
I see. That map's scale is really warped then.

I think the problem is that we see forest and our minds jump to the temperate environments where humans thrive. Thing is, in fantasy realms, forest isn't a friendly environment. The ubiquitous monsters mean it's more like a desert or a tundra, where converting the terrain to farmland is a massive fucking pain and wondering too far from a settlement will get you killed.

Mentally substitute the terrain in the map for say North Africa and the settlement distribution seems a lot more reasonable: well-inhabited along the coast, couple of lil' places at various oasises, and a couple of strongholds holding out against the odds.

Arkeus

Arcane
Mentally substitute the terrain in the map for say North Africa and the settlement distribution seems a lot more reasonable: well-inhabited along the coast, couple of lil' places at various oasises, and a couple of strongholds holding out against the odds.
Brazil might have been an adequate comparison too.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I sort of agree with excidium here. its a weird looking map.

Part of the problem is that the icons used for settlement, city, big city, village, etc are all these huge house looking icons and that throws me off. The castles are big castles I guess? I'm not sure. Then there's the black and white colored icons. Not sure what that means too.

I speculated in the news thread that the 'filled in' icons are discovered/visited areas. What's wrong with the house icons? I assume the castle are military forts and/or big, fortified cities.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
I like the map, wish they'd give us a key though...those houses and towers and castles are kind of confusing. Defiance bay is one of the 2 huge cities we'll be able to visit in the game yet it is represented by a small house?

Hormalakh

Magister
what ~RAGING BONER~ said. the icons are confusing and it's missing a legend. i kind of liked the style of the first map they had shown us. this one looks like the map dora the explorer would use.

one more thing. the forests of england during the middle ages weren't much safer either. animals and all sorts of dangers could kill those settlers too. they also didn't have the ~power of souls and magic~ to help them either. just mundane RL injury, sickness, and death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom