Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Hormalakh

Magister
thanks infinitron :brofist:. yep he responded. i'm ok with what he says.

You tell me why we aren't having this discussion about Wasteland? About Shadowrun: Returns? About anything. We only have this discussion once in a while in one of the Codex' worst staple threads: the yearly workshop thread about how to make systems more realistic. That's where people discuss there own personal pet ideas displaying without a shadow of doubt that they haven't reflected for two seconds on the attempts already made. And this discussion is completely fucking irrelevant for a game like PE.

We're having this discussion on the topic of PE specifically because Josh and Roguey inspire butthurt. Someone saw that Josh wanted to make attributes universal, cried "OMG MMO!" and the stream of butthurt continued to flow.

You know, when it comes to systems I disagree with Josh a lot more than I agree with him. Everywhere else I'm the one criticizing him and other people defend him. Yet here the criticism is constantly some brainless idiot discussion like "oh, a wizard slamming someone with a book, how silly" or "I want realistic attributes like they used to make them."

The reason I brought this conversation up was:

1- too much shitposting and I wanted to change the topic to something worthwhile.
2- I actually appreciate Josh's thought towards coming up with an innovative RPG design for a cRPG. I actually agree with him more than I disagree. I just think that sometimes he might possibly forget to consider a few aspects of what I loved about cRPGs and I try to bring those to light. Wasteland and S:R are very much rehashes of old mechanics designs. They aren't trying something fresh and being radical with cRPGs. Josh has always tried to do so: he's the kind of guy that wants to bring RPGs into the next generation. Some/Many of his ideas are good; some not so good.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer

aQH4oaO.png

Rivmusique Semper

NotTale

Learned
I expected more leniency than that. Maybe harsher than DAO, but not all the way to becoming liabilities. Sounds good. Assuming companions aren't as dumb as NWN2, I doubt it'll be a problem in practice.

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, it's not a 'permanent disability', but tbh i wasn't expecting one (as a permanent disability is kinda a 'death of the character' for a lot of players).

Having them be taken out again by any attack AND all their abilities greatly reduced is good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, it's not a 'permanent disability', but tbh i wasn't expecting one (as a permanent disability is kinda a 'death of the character' for a lot of players).

Having them be taken out again by any attack AND all their abilities greatly reduced is good.
Permanent disability would have the same effect as permadeath for most people who'll play PE, a reload. This system at least is just crippling enough to screw you up but you can still try to live with it until you find a place to rest.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Clearly I missed something then, care to tell me what? Or just going to continue laughing at me :?
There probably won't be consumables that fix it like in DAO, because there aren't even healing potions to begin with so that would kinda go against the concept. Maybe some consumables can alleviate the effects.

A spell using a daily slot that can heal the disability would make sense though. It's cured on rest anyway.

Arkeus

Arcane
Clearly I missed something then, care to tell me what? Or just going to continue laughing at me :?
There is no healing spells in PE (spells that heals health, that is) nor any kind of healing potions. Given that health can only be recuperated when 'resting', and that resting is limited to 'safe havens', AND that Josh talked about 'resting' for getting over the maimed condition, it's expected that like Health, there is no ways to get better except by resting.

Delterius

Arcane

In DA, Injury Kits are something you must supply yourself with, once you realize that they become little more than a gold sink. This isn't so bad, but I'd say that (as far as Origins goes) the injuries weren't bad enough and there were a bit too many kits in the gameworld.

In P:E, healing your injuries is tied to the rest system. And resting doesn't happen after every confrontation a la NwN, but is tied to checkpoints like Dark Souls. Meaning that those characters will be a liability for some time.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I remember when I read the very first info about DA:O in 2003 or 2004 or whatever that there would not be many sources of healing in the game :(

Oh how things changed (or how deceptive, but probably #1)

hiver

for PE, the best option would be to have resources you would have to buy, trade, collect that would be spent automatically while you rested.
- if you dont have enough you "wake up" not completely healed - and that can be balanced by how serious the injury was or was there any critical status effects applied etc.

so you have another layer of strategic thinking and resource menagement that would take to scale a whole dangerous fort or go through a well designed dungeon, or a quest line, or a specific mission.

- would have to be hand placed in specific quantities in specific sections of the game, and maybe made in few specific locations or by specific few NPCs -
- if the player is skilled enough to save a few of these resources, by being good in combat - its a nice indirect reward for doing it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eternity's rape cup is going to be so runneth over.

another said:
Josh said:
someone else said:
it really is ridiculous that people try to put the onus of their own personal feelings completely onto others
someone was mad at me that there was a character in F:NV who talked about being raped (betsy) and we didn't have a trigger warning.

i think "post-apocalyptic earth" in an M/R setting is a universal trigger warning for potential discussion of sexual assault.
if this post was to leak out into the internet at large, the tumblr shitstorm would be immense

Oh, he has nothing to worry about. The assertion from my IWD2 article didn't make waves outside the Codex.

I bet if Sawyer was in charge of Fallout 2, he would have retconned rape and impregnation into Tandi's kidnapping. Also the woman kidnapped by the raiders at Vault 15 would have been raped for real instead of comically kicking all her would-be attackers in the junk.

Athelas

Arcane
Just because a story has a dark atmosphere, doesn't mean that there should be no room for occasional lightheartedness and wit. Throwing in gratuitous rape to be more Mature and Gritty is something hack writers do.

That person asking for a trigger warning is ridiculous though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom