Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It certainly did compared to the Infinity Engine games. And Alpha Protocol was even worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It certainly did compared to the Infinity Engine games. And Alpha Protocol was even worse.

Sure, but apples and oranges.

JES isn't the only writer. Hopefully he won't object if MCA and others start dropping massive loads of text on him. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Earlier post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post407851261

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001
00017931.0002.gif

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

the black husserl posted:

So is this game going to have Deus Ex/Alpha Protocol style cinematic conversations with three/four choices, or is it going Baldur's Gate style conversations?

On a basic level, IE-style. However, a lot of IE conversations had false choice/BS options that I would not want to reproduce today. If there are six genuinely different ways to respond to a node that don't get washed out as soon as the reply is selected, by all means, write away, writers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Text-exposition is shit. I want to play a game, not read it. Bioware still does the info-dumps in dialogues, guess what it is fucking boring.

FWwBGus.png

e7dVT9d.png

Please don't take that questionable statement out of context, he's talking about how it presents information. Though I'd still say it's kind of dubious because they still dumb things down for the inattentive.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Roguey
I don't think "the black husserl" was really talking about infodumps, though. He was talking about "small talk" in general. Little bits of dialogue that add to the world's verisimilitude.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those are infodumps. Useless made-up trivia as Lesi would say, the disease of geek pride and boring whiteys with no interesting culture of their own.

How is it a "dump" if it's just a sentence or two?
"But really, in that case, you've essentially just turned an NPC into an encyclopedia (especially if it's literally something like asking an unnamed character how to get to a location)."

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Those are infodumps. Useless made-up trivia as Lesi would say, the disease of geek pride and boring whiteys with no interesting culture of their own.

How is it a "dump" if it's just a sentence or two?
"But really, in that case, you've essentially just turned an NPC into an encyclopedia (especially if it's literally something like asking an unnamed character how to get to a location)."

Derp, that's still not an infodump.

Anyway, I suspect that Sawyer has gotten too used to voice acting. Listening to infodumps is a lot less annoying than reading them. When it's text-only, you can skim.

Gozma

Arcane
Commies generally want to force you to live only in the world where they have colonized all the words

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If you know how to make living and breathing characters, you can make them say what you want. You just a have to make them preoccupied by how things that you want to communicate are affecting their lives, like in torment where it was everytime a matter of realistic points of view on a significant and dynamic world.
Of course no one wants gossip monger/encyclopedia/banner headline characters.

Dexter

Arcane
Morrowind had impersonal Info-dumps, in fact it was one of the main reasons why I couldn't bother playing it more than a few hours, but Bethesdas dialogue in general is shit:

00053226-photo-morrowind-un-exemple-de-dialogue.jpg

Most Infinity-based games used common sense when it came to dialogue and there were just a few extra lines for flavour or information and that was rather good.

The minimalistic approach of say Diablo or "Bioshock" as that image says might somewhat fit in Shooters and ARPGs where derp people just want to get back to clicking things dead, but isn't exactly preferable in any way.
I thought one of the main reasons for choosing NOT to go with voiceovers was the freedom it gives when developing dialogues and the lack of "I want to be a dragon" options?

i-want-to-be-a-dragon.jpg

At this point it just seems like Sawyer-dicksucking and defending everything he says, no matter how wrong he may be xD

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Dexter Morrowind's dialogue isn't even supposed to be "dialogue". NPCs literally are just a source of information, except when they have quests.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The minimalistic approach of say Diablo or "Bioshock" as that image says might somewhat fit in Shooters and ARPGs where derp people just want to get back to clicking things dead, but isn't exactly preferable in any way.
I prefer being engaged in gameplay (not necessarily combat) to passively reading things in games myself.
I thought one of the main reasons for choosing NOT to go with voiceovers was the freedom it gives when developing dialogues and the lack of "I want to be a dragon" options?
Those Torment options are a mess tbqh and Bioware didn't do anything of the sort. Here were their writing guidelines for BG2 from their post-mortem:
  1. No modern day profanity. This excludes lesser profanity, i.e. damn, hell, bitch, bastard.
  2. Each of the dialogue nodes (dialogue piece) spoken by an NPC should be limited to two lines. Only in VERY RARE circumstances are more than two used
  3. All character responses should be one line when they appear in the game. There should be no reason for them to be longer than this.
  4. Try not to use accents in dialogue. For certain characters (Elminster, sailor types) it is all right, but for the most part it should be avoided.
  5. When using player choices, try to keep the visible number to about three. Two or four are all right, but only when really necessary
  6. When an NPC talks directly to the main player, this should be noted for scripting purposes. Other dialogue should be included for when someone other than the main player talks to this character.
  7. Random dialogue should be avoided, or at least used sparingly. Commoners should have only a few random dialogue lines, but there should be several different commoners to talk with
Bolded relevant rules. Though it is noted in the article that they did bend/break some of these rules and the guideline wasn't even set in stone till near the end of the project.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
The black husserl ragequits: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=120#post407862657

I understand, but I don't think this game is going to be anything like the old infinity engine games, where entering a town and clicking on the million npcs and seeing their neat names and dialogue options was one of my favorite parts. It's not "mundane exposition" to me - I don't need every dialogue to be super cool and exciting and I liked the idea that I was just a strange adventurer who needed to ask questions.

Good luck with this new game, from reading the kickstarter I thought P:E was going to feel a lot like Baldur's Gate, but from reading this thread it seems that only the isometric perspective is really staying. Not trying to be too much of a whiner - people seem to be really into the new ways and if they don't want "boring infodumps", they shouldn't have them.

Let's see if/how Josh appeases him.

Data4

Arcane
Holy shit... That Lord of the Flies guy is either the best troll in the world or he's the very model of the type of person I fantasize about punching in the neck repeatedly for sport.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom