Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mondblut playing Skyrim.
I grinned.

Grimlorn

Arcane
They already have a companion built and how it's going to be integrated into the story? They definitely have been working on this for awhile.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

ironyuri

They already have a companion built and how it's going to be integrated into the story? They definitely have been working on this for awhile.

1246354275852.png

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I was just trying to get a reaction out of FTR, but you ruined it now. Don't you have tutus to loot, or something?

???

My post was mocking Roguey's neverending infatuation with Sawyer and every little stupid shit he says, to the point where he appears as some god that we should be thankful to.
So, I'm sorry, you ruined it from the start because I had no idea it was for me. WTF?

But there. Reaction.
I'm fairly certain that Roguey hates Sawyer.

To be fair, BG didn't have that much in the way of buffs. Spell selection was a bit sparse.

BG2 had so many buffs that I had to make a list of which order to cast them, to avoid the first buff expiring before I cast the last one.
Yeah but BG2 != BG. And it's also just another reason why I liked the combat in BG2. Thinking about how to maximize the potential of your chain contigencies, spell triggers and etc... just to crush your enemies in the most horrible ways.

DraQ

Arcane
Cool story bro. I was playing Skyrim and turns out Dawnguard lets me craft a 22 DEF helmet out of the shells of some blue bug. It makes you look like you have a giant blue bug for a face. Not just a helmet that looks like it's made from of a blue bug mind you, we're talking Kamen Rider here. But blue.

I crafted a steel helmet instead. 17 DEF. Hmmm.
Using races and items that *look* the right way is powergaming to me.

It allows me to concentrate on playing the game optimally instead of wondering "WTF am I looking at", so while in game's mechanics it may not give me the most pluses, when considering my own performance in addition to mechanics, it does.

:troll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Voted 1, 3 and 2.

The most important for me is the last vote, but we seem to be winning that one.

I'd really like something like Watcher's Keep. Probably some of the most fun I've had exploring in a video game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's not LARPing though because he suggests customization through perks.
And I suggest customizing him through putting a hole in the back of his head.
:rpgcodex:
Don't get me wrong, I like well thought out perk systems, but the core of your character should still be made of fucking attributes.
Attributes->Skills->Perks (possibly with some perks following directly from attributes).
Says The Witcher 2 fan. I think one can hypothetically make a decent RPG where attributes are replaced by perks. Haven't seen one yet though (LOL Witcher 2).

Where that 400 000 words has been mentioned?
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/obsidian/comments
Keep scrolling till you see it.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wait, so there are humans in this game too? Fuck, their setting is so bland and terrible. Most autistic creative minds in the industry.

DraQ

Arcane
That's not LARPing though because he suggests customization through perks.
And I suggest customizing him through putting a hole in the back of his head.
:rpgcodex:
Don't get me wrong, I like well thought out perk systems, but the core of your character should still be made of fucking attributes.
Attributes->Skills->Perks (possibly with some perks following directly from attributes).
Says The Witcher 2 fan.
I'm also a fan of Stalker. Doesn't mean I consider either of those an RPG, so the joke is on you.

I think one can hypothetically make a decent RPG where attributes are replaced by perks. Haven't seen one yet though (LOL Witcher 2).
Not if you want any sort of structure or internal logic in your build. Unless what you call perks goes in front of any skills and are actually attributes with very small range.

Also, even if Witcher games were RPGs, they would still be special cases, because they use very specific protagonist with character system tailored to this protagonist. They don't have any generic stat system to speak of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom