Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I don't mind handholders as long as they can be turned off and as long as game isn't built around them*.

I even openly advocate building game as follows:

-Design game on hardest possible difficulty, with unforgiving mechanics, lots of things that come back and bite you in the ass, odds stacked against player and general assrapitude
-Create lower difficulty levels by throwing player crutches, hints, helpers or opening loopholes.

This avoids shitty stuff like reliance on dumbed down additions (like quest compass to have any clue about location of your quest goal), purely numerical difficulty at higher levels AKA Mobs of Many Hitpoints and all kinds of derp.

*) Most games are built around them. :rage:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
It's Sawyer though, it's not like he hasn't been spouting disagreeable design stuff since Van Buren.

And yet, F:NV wasn't bad (apart from the engine and the resulting problems) so I'm fairly certain he's more vocal than anything.

Also, we have waited a long time, we can wait even longer for our Avellone and/or Cain lead projects. :smug:

Morrowind had impersonal Info-dumps, in fact it was one of the main reasons why I couldn't bother playing it more than a few hours, but Bethesdas dialogue in general is shit:
Apart from being a bit on the dry side it worked just fine for the game of this type. And it didn't dump information on you against your will, but still allowed you to learn more about a lot of stuff, should you desire to.

Yeah, but the problem is that it did the right thing (optional information) in the wrong way (NPCs copypasting information from the wiki).

DraQ

Arcane
That's not LARPing though because he suggests customization through perks.
And I suggest customizing him through putting a hole in the back of his head.
:rpgcodex:
Don't get me wrong, I like well thought out perk systems, but the core of your character should still be made of fucking attributes.
Attributes->Skills->Perks (possibly with some perks following directly from attributes).

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind had impersonal Info-dumps, in fact it was one of the main reasons why I couldn't bother playing it more than a few hours, but Bethesdas dialogue in general is shit:
Apart from being a bit on the dry side it worked just fine for the game of this type. And it didn't dump information on you against your will, but still allowed you to learn more about a lot of stuff, should you desire to.

Yeah, but the problem is that it did the right thing (optional information) in the wrong way (NPCs copypasting information from the wiki).
Well, it's hard to find a way around this problem if you have over a thousand NPCs and want to be able to ask any passerby where you can buy a bigger sword or what the fuck are those foyadas everyone keeps talking about. You have to resort to generic dialogue, at best filtered by something like race, class, faction and region.

And generic dialogue is, well, generic.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
See, this is why arcade games and manly men's games like God Hand and Bayonetta are great: they're designed around the hardest difficulty where you are expected to you use every ability at your disposal at the correct time in the correct manner.

Every game needs to be balanced around the hardest setting. The only setting manly men play.

Fake edit: I'm serious.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jasede Well, that's assuming you have all those spells memorized. I admit I prefered to use my clerics for healing and for their limited offensive spells. I was never much of a powergamer though.
I play those games in the most Mondblutian way possible: get as much XP as possible, use the best spell in the best situation, crush everything, level up, fuck whores.

Edit: I do this because it's a videogame. LARPing is for P&P.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If people need 'em, they need 'em. Consider yourself lucky he values giving you the ability to turn them off.

"Please Mr. Sawyer, I want to suck your cock for being so considerate and bestowing me with your perfect game design."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Raging about loading screen hints that can be turned off is scraping the bottom of the barrel, really

Do you even read posts before you conclude something retarded on behalf of others?:

anyway, a loading-screen statement saying "remember to buff before going into a fight" should be more than enough

Only Jasede was raging at loading screens. If your comment was solely targetting his retarded comment I apologize and issue you a ticket good for one free blowjob in a thread of your choice!

Anyway, I think Jasede was trolling. To not play a good game because of a single piece of text in a loading screen would be such a stupid move I'm not sure anyone who knows how to turn on a PC is capable of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't even know what we're talking about, I was just trying to get a reaction out of FTR, but you ruined it now.

Sorry :(

Doesn't it at least count for something that you baited a reaction out of me?

Don't you have fuchsia tutus to loot, or something?

In my current playthrough of MMVII, my sorceress is wearing the dumbest-looking helmet in the history of helmets. It gives +30 Intelligence.

IT IS GLORIOUS

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I was just trying to get a reaction out of FTR, but you ruined it now. Don't you have tutus to loot, or something?

???

My post was mocking Roguey's neverending infatuation with Sawyer and every little stupid shit he says, to the point where he appears as some god that we should be thankful to.
So, I'm sorry, you ruined it from the start because I had no idea it was for me. WTF?

But there. Reaction.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/315214

Update #8 - New Digital Tier, Novella by Chris Avellone, and Translations at $2.2M

Update #8 · Sep. 24, 2012

We are still going strong over here on Kickstarter and we wanted to thank everyone that has been here since the beginning as well as those of you who have come on recently to back us with your pledge. With such great support, we want to thank everyone with a new addition to the $50 and later tiers, a new $110 digital only tier, and a big change to our $2.2M stretch goal.

Oh, and what are we doing this week as to updates you might ask? Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain and Chris Avellone will be posting updates and videos all this week starting on Sep 26 with Josh, Sep 27 with Mr. Avellone and a great one from Tim over the weekend.

French, German, and Spanish Translations added at $2.2M

We are glad to announce that we will add text translations for French, German, and Spanish when we reach this goal. As we hit more of our stretch goals, we hope to be able to add even more languages as well!

pe-ks-stretch-22.jpg

Novella by Chris Avellone added for $50 and Up!

Chris Avellone has been so thankful for everyone's support that he himself has pledged to write a novella in the world of Project Eternity. We are adding that to everyone who pledges $50 and up.

New $110 Digital Only Tier

Thanks to popular demand, we are adding a new digital tier at $110 that has early beta access to the game, thanks in the credits, a postcard thanking you for your pledge (sent physically) along with all the other digital benefits of the $140 Tier. Since we added the new novella written by Chris Avellone at the $50 reward tier - that is in there as well!

Oh and we have a little piece of artwork to share as well. The following is one of our traditional race and class combinations - the Human Fighter - but he's not just any Human Fighter. He has an integral role in the story that we will be hinting at soon. Don't worry, we will also be sharing more and more of the non-traditional options in the days and weeks to come.
  • image-162519-full.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Raging about loading screen hints that can be turned off is scraping the bottom of the barrel, really

Do you even read posts before you conclude something retarded on behalf of others?:

anyway, a loading-screen statement saying "remember to buff before going into a fight" should be more than enough

Only Jasede was raging at loading screens. If your comment was solely targetting his retarded comment I apologize and issue you a ticket good for one free blowjob in a thread of your choice!

Anyway, I think Jasede was trolling. To not play a good game because of a single piece of text in a loading screen would be such a stupid move I'm not sure anyone who knows how to turn on a PC is capable of it.
Yeah, people shouldn't really take me seriously too much; I love unnecessary hyperbole. Of course I'd play a good game even if it has a dumb loading text in the screen.
But would I rather play one that doesn't have that? Hell yeah.

kaizoku

Arcane
How do you do it Infinitron?

Anyhow, kind of disappointed with this update.
No new stretch goals... yeah I know, we still have to reach 2.2 which is brings a bigger world.

But hopefully it will be a good update from the money side.

Doesn't it at least count for something you baited a reaction out of me?

Of course not, you didn't even fit a HURR DURR in there.

In my current playthrough of MMVII, my sorceress is wearing the dumbest-looking helmet in the history of helmets. It gives +30 Intelligence.

IT IS GLORIOUS

Cool story bro. I was playing Skyrim and turns out Dawnguard lets me craft a 22 DEF helmet out of the shells of some blue bug. It makes you look like you have a giant blue bug for a face. Not just a helmet that looks like it's made from of a blue bug mind you, we're talking Kamen Rider here. But blue.

I crafted a steel helmet instead. 17 DEF. Hmmm.

???

My post was mocking Roguey's neverending infatuation with Sawyer and every little stupid shit he says, to the point where he appears as some god that we should be thankful to.
So, I'm sorry, you ruined it from the start because I had no idea it was for me. WTF?

But there. Reaction.

:bounce: :bounce::bounce:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well then you are clearly a LARPer and should report to the nearest suicide booth.
:smug:

Don't take what I say seriously; I'm well past the years where I posted valuable stuff. ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It makes you look like you have a giant blue bug for a face.

all i would see in place of my head would be "22DEF"

or, more accurately, i would see the blue bug and go "blue bugs are awesome man they give 22DEF"

but then again i'm playing skyway (edit: wow, freudian slip? meant skyrim), so maybe larping is actually thinking about your stats when you should be thinking about looking cool in the screenshots you post to your friends

with that logic mondblut playing skyrim would be the biggest larper of them all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom