Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's "What's a RPG?" time. :cool:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DraQ That's why it was weird when Witcher 2 let you play other characters. They had to disable the character screen during those segments.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's weird because it serves absolutely no purpose, yet it breaks quite a few important conventions.
It let you see the story and actions of other characters, without being a long cutscene.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, I thought it was pretty interesting as a storytelling technique. Remember playing the protocol droid in KOTOR2?

DraQ

Arcane
It let you see the story and actions of other characters, without being a long cutscene.
It lets you play the story and actions of other, sometimes unrelated characters without there being a reason.

Fixed. A cutscene would be infinitely preferable, because what business do I have playing, for example, prince penis Stennis?

I'm playing Geralt.
Stennis is neither a party member, ally, nor a character my protagonists even knows at this point.
What the fucking fuck?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They weren't unrelated characters. IIRC everyone who you play is important to the story.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Not obsidian related, but I've been following the neogaf thread to this one and it's been horrible. It's even worse than SA, there you have at least actual (bad) discussions. Neogaf seems to be filled with people who think they know shit when they actually don't.

Why do these forums were *registering* is already a fucking hassle attract such bullshit - i'm better than you - posters?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Hmh, 400 000 words is about half of what PS:T had apparently which might be a bit disappointing.

Rhalle

Magister
I wish they get at least 5 mil but that is not very likely. Somehow they did this campaign pretty sloppy, although it was good in the very beginning (I liked their video). They are a pretty big gaming studio, they could have certainly done a better job.
The story of Obsidian's life.

Obsidian's video was OK, but it felt kind of wishy-washy if that makes any sense.

Both companies have a pronounced amateurish streak in them. I suspect, though, with Tim Cain around, Obsidian might really get it together and produce something spectacular. He is a huge boon to them.

Look at how solid Wildstar appears to be. Granted, Cain was ultimately working with NCSoft, who knows how to oversee a tight game. Still, he's going to purge some of that second-rateness in overall design out of Obsidian- I have little doubt of that.

Not that it wont be good, but Wasteland 2's amateurishness will really be exposed by how professional Eternity is going to be in comparison, and they are going to end up with very similar Kickstarter budgets, which is really going to invite negative juxtapositions.

DraQ

Arcane
They weren't unrelated characters. IIRC everyone who you play is important to the story.
So because, say, Mullahay is important to the story in BG1, I should magically switch to him and play as him fucking up deep Nashkel Mines as soon as my party arrives in the city?

Or in first Witcher maybe I should control Alvin as he runs from Barghests, or Geralt's LI when bad guys pour in and try capture Alvin?
:rpgcodex:
How about fucking no?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex army is like 5 guys posting in there, the biodrones are 50, who you think it's gonna win?
image001h.jpg

STAND YOUR GROUND!!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
:hmmm: What's with the butthurt? Those segments were really short. They just spiced things up a bit. Variety.

"MY IMMERSION HAS BEEN DESTROYED BECAUSE I NO LONGER FEEL THAT I ACTUALLY AM GERALT!!1"

This from the same people who lionize games with full party creation.

Spockrock

Augur
fuckin' 'ell

so much butthurt over Sawyer's words... and you call yourselves old-school gamers, jeez. o_O

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Actually, in Witcher 2's case, the ability to control other characters in certain scenes is probably a homage to the "ensemble cast" style of narrative of A Song of Ice and Fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom