Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's Project X - Three days left

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Read the other threads.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Anyone check to see if Obsidian has patented any names?

If not, then this game is probably going through a publisher, which rules out a kickstarter.

Sul

Savant
<!-- Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way. -->

It reads kind of Kirkbridey.

I still cling to the hope that Obsidian will get their hands on TES.
Yeah I agree. It smells Kirkbride's nosense all over. I mean, look at this and tell me it's not similar!

Volume 7, The Tale of the Jorrvaskr
When at last the rightful claim of Saarthal had been retaken, driving the murderous elves back to their lofty cities, did great Ysgramor turn and let loose the fearsome war cry that echoed across all the oceans. The Five Hundred who yet stood joined in the ovation for the victory and the lament for their fallen peers. It was said to be heard on the distant and chilling green shores of Atmora, and the ancestors knew their time had come to cross the seas.
As the reverberations echoed out and drowned to silence, all looked to Ysgramor, who bore the blessed Wuuthrad, for his next commandment. With his lungs that bellowed forth the fury of humanity, he bade them to continue their march, that the devious Mer might know the terror they had brought on themselves with their trickery.
"Go forth," he roared. "Into the belly of this new land. Drive the wretched from their palaces of idleness. Oblige them to squalor and toil, that they would see their betrayals as the all-sin against our kind. Give no quarter. Show no kindness. For they would not give nor show you the same." (Our great forebear gave this order as he did not yet understand the prophecy of the Twin Snakes, that he would be fated to die before seeing the true destiny of his line.)
Hearing this, the Circle of Captains gathered each their crews unto themselves. From here, they decreed, we will go forth. Let each ship's band make its own way, seeking their fates to the open sun. A night spent in feasting, the Oath of the Companions was sworn anew, with each of the Five Hundred (so they still named their count, in honor of the shields that were broken at Saarthal) swearing to act as Shield-Brother and Shield-Sister to any of the Atmoran line were their fates to ever again entwine.
As the red hands of dawn stretched from the east, so broke the Five Hundred Companions of Ysgramor, setting about their journeys, sailing now across the land with waves of stone and crests of trees flowing under their footed hulls.
The first to break from the grounded fleet was the crew of the Jorrvaskr, who had been formed of Ysgramor's closest friends. Their captain was known as Jeek of the River, so called by the Harbinger himself from their youths passed in glory. When assembling their glistening hull, he sought out the labors of Menro and Manwe, who now bore the native timbers across this new land of Tamriel. Among their fiercest were Tysnal (Who Was Twice-Named), and Terr, his twin and Shield-Brother whose girth was never spoken of to his face. There were others, too, in their band -- Meksim the Walker, Brunl (Who Fought with his Off-Hand), and Yust the Smiler. These and others were sworn to Jeek, and they pushed forth into the shadows where yet the sun had not reached.
Southwards they went, by beast and by foot. Elves they found, though none remain to tell what those battles entailed. The numbers of the Jorrvaskr never faltered, so shrewd were they in battle, with minds as sharp as their blades.
Once, as the sun beat from its high-home, Jonder the Tiny, the one who ran ahead, came over the hill to tell what was seen. Amidst a vast plain his eyes had met a monument of a bird, whose eyes and beak were opened in flame. When his brothers and sisters crested the hill, they too saw its glory, but they were afraid for no elven settlement could be seen to the horizon.
"But this is not seemly," said Kluwe, who went by Loate when hiding his face. "Is not this wide land fit for harvest? Why have not the elves, vile to their core, seen to exploit and tame it?" They asked of their elven captives (for they had many) what they found unfit about these plains. Yet even the captives who still bore their tongues could say nothing of the valley. They looked with fear at the winged colossus, and from their babblings did the warriors of the Jorrvaskr learn that it was older than even the elves themselves. Of those who wrought it solid from its mother-stone, nothing could be said, but it was known to drive a magic almost as old as Nirn itself, some remnant of the gods' efforts to render a paradise in Mundus before the shattering of Lorkhan.
This first of many, this crew of the Jorrvaskr, heathens and ancestors to us all, feared no stories or gods. Indeed, if there was something the elves feared, they would have it for their own. Thus began the labors, once more, of Menro and Manwe, whose eager hands again laid to the Atmoran wood which had born them all across the sea, and what was their ship became their shelter as this valley became their purview until the end of all their days.
Thus began the building of the Great City, circled by the running of the White River, as brought forth by these beloved of Ysgramor, yet but twenty-two of the glorious Five Hundred Companions.

Clarifying the nature of CHIM (01/15/10):
2) M'Aiq, don't forget the hypnogogic part spun along the nature of Tamriel with an admixture of the love of parenthood that would follow. Not the "power"-- the cherishing.
3) To the close dreamers, don't forget the Amaranth. There *is* one step beyond CHIM, but you're right in that it is not godhood. It's the flowering of a statehood where the images you give birth to in your dream-- stolen (?) from first dreamer-- wakes up. Wails knowing free will. And begins to dream in the same way. Children of liberty without end, and then the music lives forever as a pirate radio tuned against the rules of Heaven and the vulgarities of Hell.
Yeah, like that, but, crap, it just shattered and now I need my morning coffee because I have to work.
Still, no wonder some called Him the Doom Drum.​
On the different time-dragons:
Don't forget that gods can be shaped by the mythopoeic forces of the mantlers-- so Tosh Raka could be an Akaviri avatar of Akatosh with a grudge against his mirror-brother in Cyrodiil.
Just like Akatosh-as-we-usually-know-him could time-scheme against his mirror-brother of the Nords, Alduin, to keep the present kalpa-- perhaps his favorite-- from being eaten.
Notice all the coulds.​

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I checked for an Eternity trademark for specifically Video Game copyright, but didn't see anything. I could have missed something though. There are A LOT of products with the brand name Eternity sadly (t-shitrs, medical equipment, sun glasses etc..). That was rather amusing.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
9044.jpg
TES-Online.jpg

Considering the sue happy nature of Bethesda's legal team, does anyone think they'd risk a dragon circle logo for anything other than TES?

I'm touching myself now. The excitement is too primal to fap to.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Hey Jaesun

Do you thing the dragon circle logo is part of Bethesda's existing patent? Would explain why you haven't found any new ones for this symbol.

They have to protect the logo of their multimillion dollar flopmmo. Obsidian would be well aware of this.

Not only that. Obsidian have a cordial relationship with Bethesda, and it makes a lot of sense to maintain that, given that Bethesda is the only publisher that also makes crpgs (and they still operate just out of Obsidian's scale and market, meaning that they likely don't see Obsidian as a competitor against their properties), and hence likely to be one of the more favourable publishers to work with (in terms of not having to explain for the nth time why they need resources for a particular mechanic, in terms of understanding the lower initial sales but potential for long-sellers in the crpg market, etc - how they would operate in a commercial sense, rather than any inclined vision of what a crpg should be).

I can't imagine Bethesda handing them a full TES game though. More likely to give them a Skyrim follow-up akin to FO:NV, (essentially reviving the notion of the old-school 'stand-alone expansion' where you get another game with the same engine+mechanics).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Heh. I didn't even consider that. A well-written next-gen Elder Scrolls game? Not sure I really want.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I can't imagine Bethesda handing them a full TES game though. More likely to give them a Skyrim follow-up akin to FO:NV, (essentially reviving the notion of the old-school 'stand-alone expansion' where you get another game with the same engine+mechanics).

If true, it's still probably two years or so away at least.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
If Zenimax has taken TES away from BGS, even just for a spinoff, I'm going to laugh.

The look on Todd Howard's face when BGS's neglected "baby" gets taken away and given to a loving foster family like Obsidian.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Meh, i'd be happy if they gave us a Morrowind 2.0.
Won't happen though...

EG

Nullified
All this is is the first death throe of Obsidian.

:dance:

Bahamut

Arcane
I found on potato wikipedia that Uroboros is a symbol of VoD series

New vampire game? :bounce:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bethesda is really fucking strict about controlling how their products are marketed, there's no way they'd let Obsidian advertise it on their own site.

mote

Novice
Dyrwood and Godhammer Citadel don't show up anything in google search except for recent articles about this project, so it's a good bet it's an original game.

kaizoku

Arcane
It could new/older lore from a know game setting.

But my bet is that it's a new IP.
Sawyer got a hold of his ideas from IWD3, NWN 2 mod, BG3, and shaped them to fit together in a coherent way... and thus a new IP is born (Defiance).

Also, given his twitter message about tshirt for video recording... there is a very HIGH chance it's a KS project.

edit:
any chance it's related to this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worm_Ouroboros

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would think that if this was a kickstarter project they would have filmed the pitch video more than 3 days before they were launching it. Editing it and leaving enough time for reshoots if necessary and all. Brian Fargo filmed his pitch video like what, A week and a half, before launching his kickstarter. And he was rushing to get his kickstarter out as soon as possible. Obsidian has been content to wait this long to do it(If they ever do) so I don't think they'd still be filming for it 3 days before they launch the kickstarter. Could be a last minute change though I guess.
I also thought about this. If they are getting the clothes for the shooting just now, they are quite late. Meh, we'll see on Friday.

Which day can't come soon enough!

Grimlorn

Arcane
Could they be kickstarting Defiance after it was cancelled? Would they be able to do that if a publisher cancelled the project?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is possible. Anyone knows if it is any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom