Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Of the Big Three, which is your favorite? (Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum)

Which one is the greatest (listed in chronological order of release)?

• Fallout

• Planescape: Torment

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Results are only viewable after voting.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Arcanum. I made many different alts on this one. Favorite was the rogue who kept stealing shit and selling it back. Second was the cunt & high char/personality (i fucking forget now) with all her simps attending her.
Third is the mechlord.
Fourth magi dude.
Fifth the average SMASH & KILL every fucker I can. Maybe get dog.. maybe not.
Sixth was sheepfucker orc. What else do orcs do but fuck?

yeah, i guess you could do that in fallout. PS.... eh.... i can't recall if i could fuck sucubi or not or hurl the skull like a weapon.
You just made me realize that Arcanum was the isometric rpg that allows for Bethesda rpg gameplay... and that this freedom was a big part of Arcanum's appeal for me.
:despair:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Arcanum has over 200 endings.

It just works.

None of this is scripted.

See those mountains? You can climb them.

An RPG to us is riding around on a steampunk train.

Harthwain

Magister
Arcanum took the design principles of Fallout 1 and pushed them to the next level. Arcanum is Fallout but better.
I agree in terms of design principles. However, the execution was so horrible that I have to point at Fallout ending up being a better experience as a result, despite my all admiration to Arcanum's ambitions.

I never had problems understanding how Fallout worked (or most RPGs). Playing Arcanum was like running into a wall by comparison. It was obviously made by designers who were too deep in their own work to realize how badly designed some things were (such as the control scheme and the UI, to name a few that aren't strictly bugs).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've never tried the patches or mods though for these three games. I did try the arcanum construction set but I dropped it as computer was slow and i thought it was pretty complicated at the time. Hats off to any successful constructed areas by anyone. I believe you could insert your creations anywhere in the game (i don't remember).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Fallout by quite the distance for me.

PST is a cool and unique experience for one playthrough, but is simply a rather poor game.

Arcanum I just don't like. It was completely fucked at release when I played it and then I'll just think about replaying it with community updates from time to time, but there are always better things to do.

Ryzer

Arcane
Arcanum has the single best best artistic direction and universe all around.
Pure monocled incline for ubermenschen who like Victorian England. :obviously:
The music is also excellent, classic violin is great made by a musician

Gahbreeil

Learned
Arcanum's writing
Crispy, did you get high? Arcanum is manageable to the human senses and psyche only because it was made by Troika. And let me tell you, the game was made in the company's bowels. Just look at the map, for God's sake! Arcanum's only redeeming quality is avowed in it's title. Magic and steamworks. Steampunk with elves and dwarves and that's it, well, the main theme is brilliant. Arcanum is a poor hack of Fallout. Van Buren to boot.

And that brings me to my reaction, Fallout. Fallout wins. It definitely is the best of the three. SPECIAL works, so does combat, exploration and everything else. It's a shame the game could not be made in co-operation with Bethesda Softworks. What I mean is influenced by Morrowind. Just imagine if the sheer amount of dialogues and quests in Morrowind could be in Fallout.

Planescape: Torment is vomit like I HAVE (Crispy Edit: Reason: Bad Spelling) already told you.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Arcanum, with all of its reactivity to player stats/background, combat that is so easy to break, and its sheer uniqueness, stands out.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Difficult to choose. PS:T is an interesting take that showed extended/decent/good (your pick) narrative can have D&D roots in terms of gameplay. It also has a lot of good ideas (I like games where dying is baked into the narrative and the gameplay instead of being just a failstate). Fallout is the most fun to "play" moment to moment for me, it's just a solid game. Always felt it was the one with the least jank. Arcanum is phenomenal in content, presentation and design.

I think I'd go with Arcanum because if someone asked me "hey I can only play one old school CRPG?", that'd probably be the one I'd tell them to go to even if it's not perfect. It has a lot of charm, lots of C&C, reactivity, etc.

Also it wins because of the music.

... but then again Fallout ...

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
PST > Arcanum > FO

But that's really just a matter of which setting captured my imagination more. They're equally (im)perfect games.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Arcanum for me but I loved all 3. Still, I'm incredibly biased, I actually love Arcanum more than any other crpg despite the terrible combat. It was my childhood game that Ive replayed the most as a child and an adult and I'm not very big on replaying games. There was a period of my life of about a decade where I barely played games at all though I still made time for a run every few years of arcanum, bloodlines and a few other notable titles.

It left a huge impression on me for various reasons that other users here have pointed out: the setting, writing, music, art, all the character and plot possibilities, etc. It's also my "comfort" game because I could just jump into it at any time over the years and make a character and have fun but again, I've played it to death since I was a child.

That being said, I wouldn't fault anyone for enjoying PST or Fallout more and/or thinking Arcanum is terrible. Nowadays, I can't get into any game that doesn't have challenging or atleast good tb combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom