Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I haven't flown the Armitage, but I've used an Odyssey for a long time, and I'm currently using the Assault Cruiser Refit (using the Sovereign Class look though, it just looks the best out of them).

Odyssey was something I used ever since it first appeared as the free event reward. It's one damn nice ship, highly flexible and good DPS capability (two Tac slots more than the Excelsior, for example). However, it's the slowest Fed cruiser and cannot access Eject Warp Plasma without sacrifices.

Currently I'm flying the Assault Cruiser, and I'm loving it. It's got one less Tac slot than the Oddy, but this is a negligible loss. Instead, the easy access to Warp Plasma makes the sale, as that ability is very preferable to having an additional Attack Pattern Beta or the like. I ran the two back-to-back in a testing duel recently, and I greatly preferred the Regent to the Odyssey. It's slightly faster and has a more specialized doff layout. In many ways though, I'd say it's very similar to the Excelsior, with the exception of having a Tac ensign instead of a redundant Engie ensign (I use it for a Fire At Will 1, a slight improvement to firepower but I think you can get everything good just with Tac Team 1, Fire At Will 2 and Overload 3 with the Excelsior) while being slower and having more crew.

Subject37

Educated
There was some fleet discussion in-game today about the best/easiest methods for earning EC. Vaarna had tons of good advice like he always does, but one thing I brought up that you all may not be doing yet is exploiting the "Tour the Universe" daily mission. This quest, which runs for an hour, is nothing more than you flying your ship around the map and getting paid for it. Every sector block you clear (by running through all individual sectors in the block) earns you 50k, and with some planning and mods (like borg engines), you can make a full galaxy run multiple times in the hour the mission is available. There have been reports of players earning 2 million+ EC during a single hour running this mission. More discussion and route maps here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=376431

Vaarna_Aarne

helpie at least used to run Tour a lot, I used to give his characters Diplomatic Immunity/Raiding Party. I only did it once, I felt I could make more EC off the Exchange for less effort.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Tour the Universe also gives exploration and trade cxp, I think something like 300 per run, so if you manage to do 4 runs per event it gives 1200 cxp, with the credits.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
BHpy2.jpg

Subject37

Educated
Someday, somehow, I hope to be an Admeral.

It's very easy to level up in this game, you're going to hit the cap in no time. Running episode missions and system patrols are good ways to gain fast XP. Also make sure you do the daily lore and officer reports missions. Do a search in the foundry for "quickie" missions for the officer reports. Takes about 30 seconds for each of these.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Someday, somehow, I hope to be an Admeral.

It's very easy to level up in this game, you're going to hit the cap in no time. Running episode missions and system patrols are good ways to gain fast XP. Also make sure you do the daily lore and officer reports missions. Do a search in the foundry for "quickie" missions for the officer reports. Takes about 30 seconds for each of these.
i think you missed the point. or at least i hope you did...

Norfleet

So CW Nimitz was born in 1885. His great great granddaughter 497 years later. Which means that on average, people in that family had children at the age of 124. :M
Ah, but you're forgetting something important: That's actually an ENTIRELY plausible thing in SPACE. I mean, you spend a few decades Earth time travelling the galaxy at the speed of light, possibly while also frozen in carbonite, barely age at all, return home, settle down, raise a fambly...

Vaarna_Aarne

FTL travel in Star Trek uses warp drive because it prevents time dilation.

EDIT: Then again, thanks to how common time travel tends to be (especially for Captain Kirk), it's quite possible that ADMERAL's father was Captain Kirk, and the character's grandfather and great-grandfather were also Captain Kirk.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh gawd, is this what I've been missing these past few days? I WANT TO BE AN ADMERAL!

Norfleet

Maybe, but FTL hasn't always been used in Trek history. There's several episodes (KHAAAAN!) where people slowboated.

Several MORE where people have been frozen in carbonite (KHAAAN again!). And like you said, that doesn't even begin to touch time travel.

Vaarna_Aarne

Maybe, but FTL hasn't always been used in Trek history. There's several episodes (KHAAAAN!) where people slowboated.

Several MORE where people have been frozen in carbonite (KHAAAN again!). And like you said, that doesn't even begin to touch time travel.
Well, it's possible alright, though somewhat unlikely (and certainly not something the "author" here considered). After all, KHAAAN was a pretty unique encounter even for the zany adventures of the Enterprise.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wasn't there some tng episode where they found 20th century doods frozen in space? might be more where those came from...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wasn't there some tng episode where they found 20th century doods frozen in space? might be more where those came from...

Amelia Earhart and her crew? I think that was Voyager, the most time-travelly of all the Treks. Until Enterprise came along of course.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Norfleet, make a guide/share your dil farming technique with the rest of the guild, looking at post tierIII starbases the resource costs skyrocket like a motherfucker.

Vaarna_Aarne

And here I was, thinking you guys would prefer to shift focus to the KDF base instead... Bros be crazy mang, but if you guys want it let's do it.

Norfleet

I will, but not on the forum. The Google has eyes.

And here I was, thinking you guys would prefer to shift focus to the KDF base instead... Bros be crazy mang, but if you guys want it let's do it.
We can do both. We have the technolergy.

See what I mean? Guys are frozen in carbonite and set adrift in space all the time.

Norfleet

Except I'm still fuzzy on who "all of us" is, as I only know a few people.

Norfleet

Yes, I've never seen him before. How do we know he's not a FOUL SHAPESHIFTER?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom