Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

abija

Prophet
So fighting villagers in a riot is the same as running through a peaceful village?
Getting to the barge while pretending Iorveth is a prisoner is the same as directly attacking it?
Killing the guards in a dungeon and getting out is the same as having an npc distracting them so you can escape without fight?

What exactly do you mean by choices affecting gameplay?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh I feel so stupid now. I've just finished (failed), the Little Sisters quest.

In this quest a soldier in the camp asks you to go to the beach and kill a wraith. So I go there and confront the bitch, but she says, that the soldier killed her and her sister. She just wants revenge. What does my silly witcher do? Believes her and goes back to camp, to confront the soldier. He gets mad and runs to the beach to kill the wraith alone. After a little while I went after him, and I found his body, torn apart in the beach. He deserved it, here I thought, but when I went closer, the wraith appeared, and laughed at me, told me that she fooled me, the soldier didn't kill her, in fact, she killed the guys sister. So an innocent guy died because my witcher is a tool. Great job.

abija said:

When the game transforms into a Star Wars game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
kanenas said:
So did you make the choice to use that next-gen gaming mouse you linked in that newspost?
Did it have a consequence in the gameplay?
But of course. I recognized the combat as twitch-based so I chose a tool to aid me. Consequence? Kicking ass in real-time.

I actually have an experiment going on currently. Is Vault Dweller right that the combat skills matter little if you're only good enough at hammering LMB/RMB and spacebar?
I'm currently at lvl11 (just killed the Kayran) on hard and haven't spent a SINGLE skillpoint yet. Stay tuned.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I actually have an experiment going on currently. Is Vault Dweller right that the combat skills matter little if you're only good enough at hammering LMB/RMB and spacebar?
I'm currently at lvl11 (just killed the Kayran) on hard and haven't spent a SINGLE skillpoint yet. Stay tuned.
It's a damn shame if this works out (and it seems it does). I hope at least you sweet blood in the fights. Or is it easy? And what about the equipment? You use the weak ones or the new ones? Although it is not much of a surprise that an action RPG puts a big emphasis on player skills. I'm sure you all saw Gothic videos where the player kiled orcs with no armor and only a stick, on level 1.

So I I still love the game. :love:

flushfire

Augur
J_C said:
It's a damn shame if this works out (and it seems it does).
He did compare it to Risen though, so to prove VD right VOD also needs to play Risen and be unable to complete it without skill investment.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:
kanenas said:
So did you make the choice to use that next-gen gaming mouse you linked in that newspost?
Did it have a consequence in the gameplay?
But of course. I recognized the combat as twitch-based so I chose a tool to aid me. Consequence? Kicking ass in real-time.

The first Letho fight is the only hard fight (on Hard) and only because he casts Quen and you have to wait, running around and dodging his bombs and igni, until it expires. You'll be tempted to put in some points but they don't make much difference unless you put them in daggers and "machine-gun" him the first chance you get.

Attack twice and roll.

J_C said:
I hope at least you sweet blood in the fights. Or is it easy?
Painfully easy with regular enemies. Easy with stronger enemies like the queens and such. Harder with bosses like kayran and Letho but only because of the console design.

anus_pounder

Arcane
J_C said:

In this quest a soldier in the camp asks you to go to the beach and kill a wraith. So I go there and confront the bitch, but she says, that the soldier killed her and her sister. She just wants revenge. What does my silly witcher do? Believes her and goes back to camp, to confront the soldier. He gets mad and runs to the beach to kill the wraith alone. After a little while I went after him, and I found his body, torn apart in the beach. He deserved it, here I thought, but when I went closer, the wraith appeared, and laughed at me, told me that she fooled me, the soldier didn't kill her, in fact, she killed the guys sister. So an innocent guy died because my witcher is a tool. Great job.

abija said:

The real story behind the 'little sisters' quest -

Not quite. The real truth is that the family's daughters were raped by soldiers. As they were now un-pure in the eyes of the father, he killed them. The soldier was the guy's son. He figured out that his father really did kill the sisters (blood on clothes) and threw him off the cliff in a struggle. He dragged the body all the way back and buried his family. As for the role of the wraith in the entire thing, I'll admit it - I forgot. But the soldier most certainly did not kill the sisters and neither did the wraith.

Also, a minor note about the prologue chapter -

Telling Newboy that the amulet is rubbish will have survive the siege of the castle. I only saved his life on the 'Aryan Lives' route. But assuming you let Aryan live, once you clear out the dungeons and leave the castle, Newboy will confront you, thank you and then lead the soldiers to the other side of the area, allowing you to run off to BROche without a fight.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Warning! Inmature sex scene comparison post:

Dragon Age 2 (Isabela):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7ON5FK ... u.be&t=49s

The Witcher 2 (Ves) NSFW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ioMEoK ... be&t=7m38s

anus_pounder said:
J_C said:

abija said:

Not quite. The real truth is that the family's daughters were raped by soldiers. As they were now un-pure in the eyes of the father, he killed them. The soldier was the guy's son. He figured out that his father really did kill the sisters (blood on clothes) and threw him off the cliff in a struggle. He dragged the body all the way back and buried his family. As for the role of the wraith in the entire thing, I'll admit it - I forgot. But the soldier most certainly did not kill the sisters and neither did the wraith.
Sorry, I misspoke about the wraith, she didn't killed the sisters. But their father had some dealings with the wraith (he offered their dead body to her, and soon the father also joined them after his death, or something like this). What important is, I screwed up the quest. :)

anus_pounder

Arcane
On the plus side, you get a sweet steel sword diagram. Too bad you can buy something much better in the next chapter.

Speaking of steel swords, is the forgotten vran sword in chapter 3 a troll attempt or something? Its the best steel sword afaik and you get to swing it in exactly ONE battle.

Vault Dweller

Developer
abija said:
So fighting villagers in a riot is the same as running through a peaceful village?
Getting to the barge while pretending Iorveth is a prisoner is the same as directly attacking it?
Killing the guards in a dungeon and getting out is the same as having an npc distracting them so you can escape without fight?

Did you like Alpha Protocol, by any chance? So many choices and consequences... Best game evar.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
J_C said:
I hope at least you sweet blood in the fights. Or is it easy? And what about the equipment? You use the weak ones or the new ones?
I upgrade equipment. I use potions, oils, bombs. (but no traps, can't be bothered)

I died 4x so far.
2x in the Kayran battle (many skills give +x HP, without that you have few HP and can't afford errors) but dying twice there isn't unusual?
2x against Dymitri. My fault really. I was not cautious enough and let them corner me.

So, no. I don't sweat blood so far.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I died a LOT when I was fighting kayran, so I bow to your mad skillz. Honestly, dying only twice? It took me about an hour if not more to kill the fucker.

I don't use oils, bombs, or potions. I upgrade the equipment and rely on the basic signs and dodging for the rest. Force push is the most useful sign. Quen is second best.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
J_C said:

Dragon Age 2 (Isabela):

No booty on Iorveth path?

anus_pounder said:
Speaking of steel swords, is the forgotten vran sword in chapter 3 a troll attempt or something? Its the best steel sword afaik and you get to swing it in exactly ONE battle.
Caerme is better and you can get that one in both Roche's path and Iorveth's path.

Vran sword has some weird "Freeze +20%" enchantment that doesn't seem to do shit.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
J_C said:

Dragon Age 2 (Isabela):

anus_pounder said:
J_C said:

abija said:

Sorry, I misspoke about the wraith, she didn't killed the sisters. But their father had some dealings with the wraith (he offered their dead body to her, and soon the father also joined them after his death, or something like this). What important is, I screwed up the quest. :)

Actually, it's not necessarily the father who killed his daughters.

The soldier only says that he found his father all covered in blood. Even though the father denied the murder, Maverik (the soldier) assumed that he was responsible. For all we know it could have been the wraith summoned by father who killed the sisters.

I love how the game plays on fantasy cliches. :)

Mrowak

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
On the plus side, you get a sweet steel sword diagram. Too bad you can buy something much better in the next chapter.

There's a better sword you might get even earlier...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
I died a LOT when I was fighting kayran, so I bow to your mad skillz. Honestly, dying only twice? It took me about an hour if not more to kill the fucker.

I don't use oils, bombs, or potions. I upgrade the equipment and rely on the basic signs and dodging for the rest. Force push is the most useful sign. Quen is second best.

I also died a lot in previous playthrus, but
1) I disabled Difficult QTE, which means you only have to defeat 3 tentacles; and the 4th one is the most difficult really
2) I know exactly what to do by now, so of course metagaming knowledge helps

made

Arcane
abnaxus said:
Vran sword has some weird "Freeze +20%" enchantment that doesn't seem to do shit.
That reminds me of one of the trailers/preview vids that had Geralt freeze+shatter enemies with a magic sword - is that still in or was it removed because it broke the lore or sth?

Black

Arcane
From what I've seen in a lp youtube video that effect on some sword is still in.
Also the Operator Staff also has this effect.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Freeze effect seems to be useless against everything except rotfiends, whose death explosion can often be averted by using a freezing weapon: They simply shatter into a bunch of ice chunks instead.

Mrowak

Arcane
made said:
abnaxus said:
That reminds me of one of the trailers/preview vids that had Geralt freeze+shatter enemies with a magic sword - is that still in or was it removed because it broke the lore or sth?

There was this silver sword I once found - the Judicator? the Judge? Whatever. Anyway, it certainly had the freeze + shatter property.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
made said:
abnaxus said:
Removed? I was using freezing silver sword for a time being. Among other things, it made exploding enemies do not explode, just shatter, like everyone else.
I picked it up in chapter 2, from the second assassin, the one that escaped to die in some cave

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom