Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
UserNamer said:
after reading "the edge of the world" (a short story about the witcher) I have a clearer idea about the elves and humans in the witcher universe. In the game I had the impression that only the humans were unnecessary racists and evil, leading some elves to become terrorists. I'm glad is more nuanced than that and that the elves have shitty attitudes and racist feelings too.

Yeah. Unfortunately, with Iorveth you can hardly see that in-game. The whole talk about the free state where all species can live together as equals. Yuck!

It just goes against the initial impression of his character and actions he undertook in the past (killing civilians in Flotsom, organising regicides, acts of terrorism he is accused of).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mrowak said:
Vault Dweller said:
No arguing here. It is a great, very enjoyable game. One of the best I've played in a long time.

And that's fair enough. Let's leave at that, shall we?
Do lets.

As it is now, we are arguing about the semantics - whether TW2 is RPG or not, how much C&C it needs to be an RPG and suchlike bullshit. It's all totally pointless, tantamount to spoiled brats' fussing about their toys.
We're arguing about the design. An RPG doesn't need any C&C, this goes without saying. The reason TW2 isn't one (in my opinion) is because there is no character skill there.

flushfire said:
Mrowak said:
It's all totally pointless
There's some good that came out of it. VD no longer claims in TW2 character skills don't matter its all player skill unlike in Risen.

at least that has been proven wrong if you trust VoD.
What exactly was proven wrong? VoD's noble experiment shows that you can play through practically the entire game (till lvl 29 which is a lot), on Hard (!), without investing a single point and breaking any sweat. This alone makes the character system pointless and disconnected from the game. It also makes TW2 an action-adventure game.

The only time when you need the skills (well, not even the skills but the HP boost most likely) is when you're not even playing your character. So, yeah... great success.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Vault Dweller said:
flushfire said:
Mrowak said:
There's some good that came out of it. VD no longer claims in TW2 character skills don't matter its all player skill unlike in Risen.

What exactly was proven wrong? VoD's noble experiment shows that you can play through practically the entire game (till lvl 29 which is a lot), on Hard (!), without investing a single point and breaking any sweat. This alone makes the character system pointless and disconnected from the game. It also makes TW2 an action-adventure game.

The only time when you need the skills (well, not even the skills but the HP boost most likely) is when you're not even playing your character. So, yeah... great success.

So... Starcraft must sucks, when you can own a guy with such ease just clicking like a rapid dog? Seriously, he was just good and/or lucky.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:

One could also do this with VtM:B. Obsidian - the creators of an action-adventure game :thumbsup:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black_Willow said:
Vault Dweller said:

One could also do this with VtM:B. Obsidian - the creators of an action-adventure game :thumbsup:

Quick, Codex, someone can't tell Troika from Obsidian! :o

flushfire

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Dying a few times is not breaking any sweat? You even admitted yourself you did worse than VoD. Sure, until level 29 is a lot, but you have to consider that it is intentional. If someone played Risen without investing on skills he'd probably reach similar success, because if i remember correctly in that game learning proper timing is almost everything you need for combat. And I don't believe the experiment couldn't have been tedious.

It just seems to me you are trying too hard to criticize TW2's combat/character system with a flaw that is similar to what can be found in other games as well.

Black_Willow

Arcane
flushfire said:
It just seems to me you are trying too hard to criticize TW2's combat/character system with a flaw that is similar to what can be found in other games as well.
Oh no, that's absolutely not like VD :M

flushfire

Augur
Black_Willow said:
flushfire said:
I actually find most of his posts accurate and convincing. It's just that I think this particular criticism is subjective. For all we know VOD may just have the reflexes of korean SC champions, and what he was able to do without skill point investment, most of us won't be able to. What then? Does that mean for VoD TW2 is action-adventure but for the rest of us its ARPG?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok. Fuck it. The Witcher 2 is an action RPG. Who thinks differently can suck dwarf cock!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I'm noticing a clear difference in combat after levelling up a few times and investing in skills, especially the ones that add additional vitality, damage or critical chance, and also a large difference with better gear. Of course, if you have mad skillz you can finish the game with your starting gear and without investing a single point anywhere, but if you do that you will have a really hard time later on.

The increase in character ability is quite noticable - in chapter 1 I had problems with drowners and endrega could kill me if they came in masses, now in chapter 2 I've encountered endrega in the forest and killed them all without problems, and they did almost no damage to me, and the quest where you have to protect the two soldiers from drowners was also easy as fuck since I could down a drowner with one or two swings, while in chapter 1 it still took me about 5.

I'd already call that a significant effect.

UserNamer

Cipher
levelling up makes things easier, I had problems with nekkers the first time I met them, then they become an absolutely pointless enemy. And the additional abilities make the fights more fun in my opinion. But I don't doubt you can win the game without investing the level up points, this is an action game after all. But on the other I guess you can find ways to beat fallout 1 at lvl 1.

Regarding other aspects of the game. I liked the additional abilities you can find, like the pyromaniac one you get once you burn yourself enough times using the campfires (I did it because I amused myself by talking to npcs while geralt was nonchalantly in flames). Is there anything else like that in the game?

And about the sex sequences? I found them painfully embarassing, though let's give credit where it's due, the developers at cd projekt have put more effort into modeling triss tits than bioware in the level design of mass effect and dragon age 2 dungeons combined. But I found the elven ruins sequence mildly amusing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
He's just a guy giving his opinion on the game so far. That's allowed.

You know, considering you're among the youngest people here it's pretty hilarious that you're also one of the only ones who has, so to speak, taken the chill pill, haha. What I'm saying Jimbob, is that you're the broest of bros.

Vault Dweller

Developer
flushfire said:
Dying a few times is not breaking any sweat?
During a consolish boss battle? No.

You even admitted yourself you did worse than VoD.
I'm old. Can't keep up with the young ones.

Besides, you don't actually fight him. Dealing more damage, for example, doesn't affect the fight. You trap the tentacles, then chop them off in a cinematic mode, then run away and hope that the kayran will miss you.

Sure, until level 29 is a lot, but you have to consider that it is intentional. If someone played Risen without investing on skills he'd probably reach similar success, because if i remember correctly in that game learning proper timing is almost everything you need for combat. And I don't believe the experiment couldn't have been tedious.
Wasn't for me, but I haven't reached the point VoD did. I'm still in Ch2. When I play games I never put any points until I have to. It's an old habit. Well, in TW2 I haven't reached this point yet and fighting is far from tedious. In fact, it's ridiculously easy. I've just beat everyone in the tournament, didn't die once, wasn't even close.

And why would I want to do that? I said from the beginning that it's a great game. I could only wish that it was better. Trying to find flaws (other than what's in my face) would be the last thing on my mind.

In my humble opinion, being able to hit level 30 on Hard without investing in any skills is a huge fucking flaw. It just is. Saying "well, other games have easy combat too" isn't a valid argument or a good excuse. Same goes for "well, it must have been hard". No, it wasn't. Try and see for yourself.

flushfire said:
Black_Willow said:
flushfire said:
I actually find most of his posts accurate and convincing. It's just that I think this particular criticism is subjective. For all we know VOD may just have the reflexes of korean SC champions, and what he was able to do without skill point investment, most of us won't be able to.
Did you try it? VoD did the experiment because I told him that it was possible. He too was skeptical until he tried it.

Havoc said:
Ok. Fuck it. The Witcher 2 is an action RPG. Who thinks differently can suck dwarf cock!
How very :Location: Poland:

JarlFrank said:
Well, I'm noticing a clear difference in combat after levelling up a few times and investing in skills, especially the ones that add additional vitality, damage or critical chance, and also a large difference with better gear. Of course, if you have mad skillz you can finish the game with your starting gear and without investing a single point anywhere, but if you do that you will have a really hard time later on.

The increase in character ability is quite noticable - in chapter 1 I had problems with drowners and endrega could kill me if they came in masses, now in chapter 2 I've encountered endrega in the forest and killed them all without problems, and they did almost no damage to me, and the quest where you have to protect the two soldiers from drowners was also easy as fuck since I could down a drowner with one or two swings, while in chapter 1 it still took me about 5.

You think? Increasing your health, damage, defense, and spell effects makes the game easier? Fuck, who would have thought, eh?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Havoc said:
Vault Dweller said:
flushfire said:
Mrowak said:

So... Starcraft must sucks, when you can own a guy with such ease just clicking like a rapid dog? Seriously, he was just good and/or lucky.
Starcraft? Really?

Black_Willow said:
Vault Dweller said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Never tried it, but if I recall correctly, the game was fairly challenging, and, what's more important, skills were a must, if you wanted to play a low combat character, which is impossible in the Witcher 2, so your point is moot.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
Havoc said:
Vault Dweller said:
flushfire said:
Mrowak said:

Starcraft? Really?

Black_Willow said:
Vault Dweller said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Never tried it, but if I recall correctly, the game was fairly challenging, and, what's more important, skills were a must, if you wanted to play a low combat character, which is impossible in the Witcher 2, so your point is moot.

Then how about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

This is a LP of Deus Ex, where the guy doesn't level up skills, doesn't even use items (like lockpick) nor weapons. The only thing he uses are things in the game world - crates.

So that means Deus Ex isn't a action RPG :M

Black_Willow

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
skills were a must, if you wanted to play a low combat character, which is impossible in the Witcher 2
???
So what? While going the "I'll shoot everything" route you could kill everything you needed, thus ending the game without exchanging your xp into skill points. Ergo - action adventure.

relootz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
No arguing here. It is a great, very enjoyable game. One of the best I've played in a long time.

It is enjoyable, but really the combat encounters are crap. Boss fights should be challenging and fun, while in TW2 they are boring, tedious and repetitive.

It's a shame because it would have made the witcher 2 an excellent game.

BTW The Witcher 3: the wild hunt?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster said:
Apparently Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast is now an awesome Action-RPG.
But it's not as deep as Jedi Academy, which has a choice in the end.

Havoc said:
Then how about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

This is a LP of Deus Ex, where the guy doesn't level up skills, doesn't even use items (like lockpick) nor weapons. The only thing he uses are things in the game world - crates.

So that means Deus Ex isn't a action RPG :M
Well, then I guess this settles it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Witcher 2 combat. What we thought was a flaw is actually a feature that can be found even in shooters/sneakers with RPG elements. I'll be damned!

Black_Willow said:
Vault Dweller said:
skills were a must, if you wanted to play a low combat character, which is impossible in the Witcher 2
???
So what? While going the "I'll shoot everything" route you could kill everything you needed, thus ending the game without exchanging your xp into skill points. Ergo - action adventure.
And you can just shoot everyone in Fallout, ergo, it's a cheap JA2 knockoff where you take over towns.

Do you not see the difference between "a single way to go through the game" and "multiple ways"? Oh right, I forgot, you don't care about multiple ways. They are like using a different sword to you.

Overall though, if you can easily play through Bloodlines shooting things, it sucks. However, I do recall numerous complaints about ranged weapons from people who tried to shoot at things with only a few points in firearms. If someone (trustworthy, so no, not you, Willow) is willing to try it, I'll be very interested in the results. The condition is: try to put as few points as possible in firearms/ranged during the character creation, I guess 0 or 1 point would be ideal, and, well, give it a shot.

flushfire

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
When I play games I never put any points until I have to. It's an old habit. Well, in TW2 I haven't reached this point yet and fighting is far from tedious. In fact, it's ridiculously easy. I've just beat everyone in the tournament, didn't die once, wasn't even close.
I can relate to the habit at least. In Risen up to the point where I can no longer advance the plot unless I chose a class/faction, I never trained anything. I remember beating the bandit camp duels with fists.

Vault Dweller said:
In my humble opinion, being able to hit level 30 on Hard without investing in any skills is a huge fucking flaw. It just is. Saying "well, other games have easy combat too" isn't a valid argument or a good excuse. Same goes for "well, it must have been hard". No, it wasn't. Try and see for yourself.
My only point in mentioning other games is that there is evidence to believe than the same thing could be done (or have actually been done) in other games. Risen would be a good example. Yet you seemed to praise Risen while in TW2 it is a huge flaw. Im actually tempted to play through at least 50% of Risen without any skill investment just to prove my point. But Im still waiting for someone else to do so bec. Im too lazy.

Vault Dweller said:
Did you try it? VoD did the experiment because I told him that it was possible. He too was skeptical until he tried it.
I tried getting to level 10 or so without Quen nor any skills points the first time I played. Partly because someone posted that he got to level 8 without leveling up bec. his game was bugged. I died a lot. It was tedious to roll around all the time. It was frustrating when enemies were able to block or counter when they were obviously still in recovery animation (same gripe a have with Risen). I guess I'm not as patient as you are, but I found it tedious.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
flushfire said:
My only point in mentioning other games is that there is evidence to believe than the same thing could be done (or have actually been done) in other games.

But can it be done comfortably? Without too much effort? Because in TW2 i was killing most enemies with little effort without spending half a dozen level ups. In Risen for example, i was wishing my character to be stronger almost to end of the game because lizardmen, while not really hard, were still keeping me on my nerves.

Keep in mind that genre usually is defined by prevailing elements, so in RPG character system must be important during most of the game.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
And you can just shoot everyone in Fallout, ergo, it's a cheap JA2 knockoff where you take over towns.
Using sarcasm against your own (convoluted) argument? Congratz, VD.

Do you not see the difference between "a single way to go through the game" and "multiple ways"? Oh right, I forgot, you don't care about multiple ways. They are like using a different sword to you.

Your point was that you can finish TW2 without investing talent points in anything. Although VoD didn't prove you're right, you've claimed that his gameplay proves your point. Later I said that you can do the same in VtM:B, but you defended your theory with "but it can be done differently". So I say - in TW2 it can also be done differently, so there's no difference between it and VtM:B on this ground.

Oh, and since you're starting to get ad personam there's no point in continuing this discussion.

Data4

Arcane
JarlFrank said:

I experienced it all within Chapter 1. I entered the drowner cave early on and got my ass handed to me repeatedly. After doing other quests and leveling up a bit, I went back and it was significantly easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom